Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Golf Tips Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

It was announced overnight that Dustin Johnson has withdrawn from AT&T
    Pebble Beach Open.
    Trying to find out the earliest time it was announced at and not having much luck, any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

okidoki987 wrote: »
    It was announced overnight that Dustin Johnson has withdrawn from AT&T
    Pebble Beach Open.
    Trying to find out the earliest time it was announced at and not having much luck, any suggestions?

Have you tried Twitter?

Augme wrote: »
    Have you tried Twitter?

Yep but didn't get the official time it was announced.
    Seemingly he just pulled out with no reason given so probably won't get an official time so looks like I will have to stand by all the lays I got filled in when it was announced :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Apparently taking a week recuperating after las week's win - think that was line from Sky Sports this morning

abarkie wrote: »
    Apparently taking a week recuperating after las week's win - think that was line from Sky Sports this morning

Not great news for the sponsors as means there's no Top 10 player in it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Had 3 in the top 10 and 1 finished about 30th in the PP Fantasy golf,other 2 missed the cut though and i lost 32 euro,trying a similar amount this week with.Cantlay,Malnati,Streelman,Davis and Hadley in a few entries and Cantlay Malnati,Kim,Putnam,McNealy and Mickelson in another few.

The site is very good once i got the hang of it and there is a live running account of how each entry is performing.

With any luck one can have a monetary interest in the golf over 4 days with a variety of risk bets from very small amounts (1,2 and 4 euro bets up to bets in the 100s against a smaller amount of players for big prizes).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MatchedBetting

Let's hope Cantlay manages to win I have plenty of money on him.

Let's hope Cantlay manages to win I have plenty of money on him.

2 ahead at 10 under after round 1 is pretty impressive, 15/8 to win it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Didn't get involved last week as nothing took my fancy but I think I have a sadistic side as not only do I fancy McIlroy for this week I also like Tony Finau!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

DJ looks unbeatable this week but at 11/2 I still can't justify it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭munster87

Scott - 33/1
    Homa - 60/1
    Tringale - 90/1
    KH Lee - 150/1

My e/w plays for the Genesis

Nobody is ever unbeatable in golf. Just this morning I saw a photo of the odds for the Open in 07, for example. Tiger was 3/1.
    11/2 is just too short here imo.

munster87 wrote: »
    Nobody is ever unbeatable in golf. Just this morning I saw a photo of the odds for the Open in 07, for example. Tiger was 3/1.

Go back years before that and Tiger was around evens for most tournaments he played in :eek:.
    11/2 is just too short here imo.

6.2/1 on the exchanges, still not great but a small bit better.

Scott - 33/1
    Homa - 60/1
    Tringale - 90/1
    KH Lee - 150/1

They all e/w 8 places?

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Go back years before that and Tiger was around evens for most tournaments he played in :eek:.

6.2/1 on the exchanges, still not great but a small bit better.

They all e/w 8 places?

Yep

Berger's pulled out.

Steve Palmer's (Racing Post) selections.

Best bets
    Dustin Johnson
    6pts 11-2
    Joaquin Niemann
    1.5pts each-way 45-1
    Bubba Watson
    1.5pts each-way 45-1

Eight of the world's top ten line up at Riviera Country Club this week as the PGA Tour steps up a gear with the Masters on the horizon - Tyrrell Hatton, Webb Simpson & Daniel Berger are the only elite absentees.
    Pebble runner-up Maverick McNealy, going to post again in his home state, can be backed at 110-1.

Steve Palmer's top tip
    Dustin Johnson 11-2
    It is a brave punter who goes into battle this week without world number one Dustin Johnson on their side. Johnson has widened the gap between himself and his rivals, winning five of his last 13 tournaments, and it is difficult to imagine the giant Carolinian failing to contend at Riviera Country Club on Sunday.

The forecast for clear conditions throughout, with only light breezes, means Johnson can be backed with confidence. There is no hint of any draw bias for the first two rounds. Refreshed from a week off in the wake of his comfortable Saudi International success, the favourite can be expected to apply himself properly to the task of dismantling a layout which sets up wonderfully for him.

Johnson's power-fade off the tee is the ideal shot-shape for Riviera and his form figures from his last seven starts there are 2-2-4-1-16-9-10. His 2017 victory was by a five-shot margin.

The quintet of recent Johnson wins includes an 11-shot success in The Northern Trust and a five-shot cruise in the Masters. DJ, more professional than ever and with a strong mindset to marry to his talent, is threatening to dominate the game.

The field is strong, but there are chinks in the armour of many of the market principals. Johnson has impeccable credentials. The fact that his main rivals are also teeing up should be a motivating factor and he will see this as an opportunity to lay down a marker for Majors season.

Next best bet
    Joaquin Niemann 45-1
    Ever-improving 22-year-old Joaquin Niemann may provide the main challenge to Johnson. Niemann has started 2021 in impressive fashion, finishing second in both events on the PGA Tour's Hawaii Swing. A playoff loss to Harris English in the Sentry Tournament of Champions was followed by a one-shot defeat in the Sony Open.

Niemann has moved up to world number 28, and he was always expected to earn a place in the higher echelons of the sport, having been world number one amateur for almost a year. In the 2017 US Amateur Championship at Riviera, Niemann finished sixth in the strokeplay element of the competition, then was an unlucky loser to Braden Thornberry in the knockout stages. Despite scooting round Riviera in two under par, Niemann was defeated by Thornberry.

Two starts at Riviera as a pro have not amounted to much, but Niemann has arrived there this year a much more confident soul. He made his PGA Tour breakthrough in 2019, made his Presidents Cup debut a few months later, and has become a leaderboard regular. The Chilean likes to hit a low fade with the driver, which sets him up well for many holes on this track.

Other selection
    Bubba Watson 45-1
    When Bubba Watson turns up at a course where he has had previous success, he seems to grow ten-feet tall, and Riviera has been the happiest of hunting grounds. The mercurial left-hander has won three of the last seven editions of the Genesis Invitational and he must have hope of making that statistic four from eight on Sunday.

Watson's ball-striking statistics over the last few months have been rock-solid. He ended last year strongly and recovered from a missed cut at Torrey Pines last month with an encouraging display in the Phoenix Open, where he improved as the week wore on and closed with a 65 for 22nd place.

Watson appreciates the lack of crowds - noisy galleries can upset him - and the 42-year-old can threaten a 13th PGA Tour title this week.

Players to note
    Justin Thomas
    The world number three should arguably be second in the betting this week, given he was an unlucky runner-up at Riviera in 2019 and is well suited to the test. Thomas is probably the biggest danger to Johnson backers.

Patrick Cantlay
    The Californian suffered a cold putter on the back-nine at Pebble Beach on Sunday, having to settle for third place. This represents another decent opportunity for home-state success, albeit in a much deeper field.

Collin Morikawa
    Another Californian dangerman. Morikawa, a natural fader who is typically razor-sharp with his irons, should relish Riviera. He tied for 26th on his Genesis debut last year.

Viktor Hovland
    The Norwegian youngster has been in superb form, winning in Mexico before contending in Dubai and at Torrey Pines. He was abysmal in the 2017 US Amateur at Riviera, but has every chance of making a positive Genesis debut.

Jon Rahm
    The world number two enjoys hitting a fade, so feels comfortable on this track, but he has been enduring a turbulent relationship with his new putter this year. The Spaniard is difficult to trust on the greens at the moment.

Brooks Koepka
    The Phoenix champion, five under par for his final six holes to earn a return to the winner's enclosure, has never been a factor at Riviera. Fitness and form is back, but a follow-up triumph may have to wait until later in the year.

9 players mentioned there. 7 of the 9 are ranked in the top 14 in the world. He could just throw them up every week.

9 players mentioned there. 7 of the 9 are ranked in the top 14 in the world. He could just throw them up every week.

True enough, I only look at his "best bets" each week and just put up the full article for form research.
    He had a good run late last year after a poor start to the year and tipped up some decent price winners and placed golfers.

He was in a documentary a few years ago where cameras followed him around for a year.
    He was losing money until he clicked a big price golf winner at the end of the documentary to come out ahead.

McIlroy 5pts e/w @14/1
    Finau 4pts e/w @ 28/1

McIlroy 1pt frl @28/1
    Finau 1 pt frl @40/1

McIlroy 4pts top 5 (including ties) @9/2

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

morikawa @44
    bubba @60
    ortiz @90

all win only on exchange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Rory 5 e/w @ 12/1
    Morikawa 5 e/w @ 33/1
    Matt Fitzpatrick 2e/w @ 66/1
    Max homa 2 e/w @ 66/1
    Molinari 1 e/w @ 100/1

In saying all that; can’t see anybody outside the top 10 in the odds winning this. Big boy tournament on a big classic golf course usually gets the cream at the top

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭NATLOR

J Thomas
    De Chambeau
    Garcia
    Morikawa
    All e/w

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Really liked Nieman in his first 2 PGAs this year.

Nice E/w price for this so will pop a few uid on him.

And his personal crusade is very admirable.

As an aside. The Paddy Power fantasy golf thingy looks interesting.

7 euro to enter and money back if DJ finished top 10.

But can not find the rules about how to play.

I can see it’s like FF but there seem to be no direction on rules except scoring.

Can anyone enlighten this eejit.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

For the craic

Harrington e/w @200/1

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Really liked Nieman in his first 2 PGAs this year.

Nice E/w price for this so will pop a few uid on him.

And his personal crusade is very admirable.

As an aside. The Paddy Power fantasy golf thingy looks interesting.

7 euro to enter and money back if DJ finished top 10.

But can not find the rules about how to play.

I can see it’s like FF but there seem to be no direction on rules except scoring.

Can anyone enlighten this eejit.

This is only my 3rd week of the PP golf fantasy,its a bit complicated with points awarded for birdies,eagles etc for each round and points deducted for bogies,doubles etc.

Think of it as you have 6 players so potentially each player has the opportunity to score points over 72 holes if they all make the cut,so its vital that all of your 6 make the cut.The 6 players you select have a price tag and a team cannot cost more than 60,000,i.e an average of 10,000 each and of course the the top players are priced above 10,000 so you must choose players that cost less if you pick top players.

My 6 this week are Scott,Finau,Cantalay,Gooch,Kuchar and McNealy.

There are numerous contests and you may enter the same team in as many different contests as you wish.
    You are playing against other players with PP taking his cut,some contests have a limited number of players with a smaller payout and you can even enter a match against just 1 player.

This is popular in the US and i suspect PP are using their software.It is good for a bit of fun and stakes are as little as a euro up to thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

This is only my 3rd week of the PP golf fantasy,its a bit complicated with points awarded for birdies,eagles etc for each round and points deducted for bogies,doubles etc.

Think of it as you have 6 players so potentially each player has the opportunity to score points over 72 holes if they all make the cut,so its vital that all of your 6 make the cut.The 6 players you select have a price tag and a team cannot cost more than 60,000,i.e an average of 10,000 each and of course the the top players are priced above 10,000 so you must choose players that cost less if you pick top players.

My 6 this week are Scott,Finau,Cantalay,Gooch,Kuchar and McNealy.

There are numerous contests and you may enter the same team in as many different contests as you wish.
    You are playing against other players with PP taking his cut,some contests have a limited number of players with a smaller payout and you can even enter a match against just 1 player.

This is popular in the US and i suspect PP are using their software.It is good for a bit of fun and stakes are as little as a euro up to thousands.

Thanks Zimmer.

I seemed to have picked a head to head . The scoring and normal format is similar to Fantasy Football It’s just the different contests that are a bit of a curve ball.

My picks are DJ Spieth Nieman Hoffman Kim and Trinagle.

Decent day one but have a tiny stake on for fun.

You did ok Kim the only glugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Does this work over the full tournament? or is it a longer thing?

8pt win DJ @4/1

• Advertisement

Scott - 33/1
    Homa - 60/1
    Tringale - 90/1
    KH Lee - 150/1

Looked like Homa had the win in the bag, oh dear

Advertisement