Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Golf Tips Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

redzerdrog wrote: »
    great to have something to look forward to on a monday night!

have no access to betting sites today but wonder what way the bookies have these 3 priced up. id prob have dustin and webb about 2/1 joint favs with spieth a point or 2 bigger

Best prices are: Dustin Johnson 2/1, Simpson 3/1, Speith 7/2, Zach Johnson 9/1, 20/1 bar those 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

Still on Streelman pre-event at 70.0 myself, never cashed out even though he went to less than 10.0 at one stage in first round. I can still see someone from -10 or -11 getting involved (hopefully Streelman)...a few players have gone -6 or even lower through the opening 9 holes this week so any of them shoot that and they're well in it. I'm going to guess a winning score of -18.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

great to have something to look forward to on a monday night!

have no access to betting sites today but wonder what way the bookies have these 3 priced up. id prob have dustin and webb about 2/1 joint favs with spieth a point or 2 bigger

Sure is!

Is there a reason why it's a Monday finish tonight?

I was a bit surprised yesterday morning/afternoon to see it was indeed round 3 being played last night admittedly. Had assumed there was a weather delay on one of the earlier days, but couldn't find anything about it. Considering the lack of basketball tonight, I'll certainly be tuning in.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,353 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Sure is!

Is there a reason why it's a Monday finish tonight?

To avoid clashing with NFL playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Disappointing start for Dustin but iirc his last win in the HSBC WGC he started somewhat similar in the final round with Poulter and Gmac both overtaking him early on.

• Advertisement

20/1 bar the top 4 before play. Might happen.

Still way to go.

Hard to call.

I go Zach Johnson from here

ugh disaster from dustin.

still can't call a winner from here though

• Registered Users Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Went with the bets below for this week:

4ca9cbfe048ea83a87306a3fda0d6027.png

best of luck
    whatever happens that is some picking
    I'm following next week on :D

ZJ has played flawless golf tonight. Props to him. Thought length would be a real concern for him this week, after all, his best performance before tonight was a T6, but when you have the wind up and keep in on the fairway and find all the greens you always have a chance. It'd be 5 wins in 19 months for him if he wraps this up. Gotta be in there for anyone betting on the Masters.

ZJ has played flawless golf tonight. Props to him. Thought length would be a real concern for him this week, after all, his best performance before tonight was a T6, but when you have the wind up and keep in on the fairway and find all the greens you always have a chance. It'd be 5 wins in 19 months for him if he wraps this up. Gotta be in there for anyone betting on the Masters.

Very underrated player still imo.

Knows how to win and not afraid of big names chasing him if on top of leaderboard.

• Advertisement

well done to anyone who had Johnson or made few quid this week.

Happy for Zach betting aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭applehunter

Class act is ZJ.:)

Not many better with a wedge in his hand.

Also kudos to Billy Horschel, never played the course before but after a ropy first couple of days he played some great stuff Sunday/Monday.

This weeks Sony Open is very much a Ball strikers course

Bit annoyed missed out on 50's with PP on Brian Gay this week. Got matched on 47 on exchanges.

Harris English is my 2nd pick. Hits it a mile and also proven on tight courses.

Chesson Hadly is my outside pick. He won a event on course very simlar to this last year on web.com and had top5 finish only last month. Be a guy I look out for.

Hideki Matsuyama will be another I be taking keen interest in this season. Bit too short this week though.

all bets win and place small stakes for coming few weeks for me

GL all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭manafana

My Sony Open in Hawaii Picks

Harry English 25/1 ladbrokes

Rory Sabbatini 50/1 paddy power–

Tim Clark 28/1 winner –

"note lads paddy powers paying 6 places this week so worth going with if they are near best price in market.

TKT i considered GAY but felt at bigger price id rather Sabbatini he won me a lot back few yrs ago when he won two in short time at big odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

Happy new year to you all new golfing year lets hope for lots winners. Im goin to split my american bets into early season , summer and late season as some players are better in certain parts of year

Early season Sneds. Backing sneds in anything he plays til masters
    Summer. Big Phil seems his time of year when he plays
    Late season Dj seems to hit form then around fedex time

there are a few exceptions for me john deere will be zach and world matchplay will be kuchar seems hard to beat there and players are dropping out like flies already

Sony open

kuchar win 14s

manafana wrote: »
    TKT i considered GAY but felt at bigger price id rather Sabbatini he won me a lot back few yrs ago when he won two in short time at big odds.

I considered him too. Rory plays well this time of year. My preference for Gay was he really like this course and wins have come in something similar.

Dufner and Speith were others I looked at but felt price was bit to short on both.

jjll wrote: »

Early season Sneds. Backing sneds in anything he plays til masters
    QUOTE]

I can see myself doing the same.

Seems like I picked Scott Stallings and Harris English out before as potential PGA winners before I be keeping eye on these players.

Morgan Hoffeman, Hideki Matsuyma and Cheeson Hadley. Expect a win or 2 from these this season.

In the Volvo Golf Champions I've gone for Victor Dubuisson 25-1 & Peter Uilhein 33-1 each-way.
    Victor was in such good form at the end of last season its worth a shot that he'll continue it into this campaign.
    Uilhein has decent form on links course and a fine price in this reduced field (2 good opening rounds at Irish Open, 10th at Scottish Open-bad final round and 2nd at Alfred Dunhill Links).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Took a couple of prices earlier in the week and following a few tips as well

Volvo:
    Bjorn and Oosthuizen outright win

Each ways:
    Quesne
    Fichardt
    Rumford
    Jeong
    Split a stake or 2 across Howell,Jacquelin and Aiken.Probably should've just stuck to Howell.

Sony:
    Harris English
    Tim Clark
    Leishman
    Struard
    BVP
    Overton
    Hadley
    All each ways

Fichardt and Struard are the 2 I'm happiest with now that their prices have came in.Was expecting Rumford,Pelt and Overtons odds to drop but they're the same.Took a few too many prices earlier in the week expecting them to drop.

Not too optimistic about the Sony now,Think one of the top 5-8 will definitely bring it home.Volvo looks far more interesting for an outside challenge imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Bob Karlsson @33/1 win only in SA

• Advertisement

Bets for this week.
    @The_Real_Ade

PGA Tour Golf - Sony Open Bets:

1) @JordanSpieth @ 16/1
    2) @JasonDufner @ 20/1
    3) Carl Pettersson @ 100/1 E/W

10:35pm · 8 Jan 14 · TweetDeck
    @The_Real_Ade
    Spieth and Dufner are straight up win bets.

25/1 & over will usually be E/W.

Also like Sabbatini, Matysuma, Palmer and Kirk this week.

10:41pm · 8 Jan 14 · TweetDeck

Think Matysyuma has WD'ed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Never posted in this thread before. Been betting on golf for a few years now, so thought I'd pop in a few and see how everyone fares.

My bets for the Sony Open:

Spieth @ 17/1
    Dufner @ 21/1
    Howell III @ 21/1
    Sabbatini @ 51/1
    Castro @ 67/1
    Rollins @ 81/1

Had Spieth last week also, couldn't get over the line then, maybe bit more luck this week.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Happy enough with kuchar start

Dufner was one i had shortlisted this week but left him out due to his putting last week, from the small bits i saw last night he seemed to be putting well this week though!

happy so far with bae and to a lesser
    extent de jong. unfortunetly ishikawa had a mare to go with bjorns mare yesterday. In hope to have a good look at the volvo event after play today and get involved in running

Johnny86 wrote: »
    In the Volvo Golf Champions I've gone for Victor Dubuisson 25-1 & Peter Uilhein 33-1 each-way.
    Victor was in such good form at the end of last season its worth a shot that he'll continue it into this campaign.
    Uilhein has decent form on links course and a fine price in this reduced field (2 good opening rounds at Irish Open, 10th at Scottish Open-bad final round and 2nd at Alfred Dunhill Links).

Happy with Dubuisson at the mid-way stage, 1 behind even with a double-bogey on the par 5 8th. Seems to be playing reasonably well, making plenty of birdies and would be surprised if not involved towards the business end of things.

Uilhein started round 1 with a triple bogey but managed to battle back and shot -2 in round one. Had high hopes for him today but he shot a 78 which included a double and triple bogey to go completely out of contention.

Oosthuizen clearly the favourite at this stage. Looking down the field, I could see a strong weekend from Branden Grace (25s) and Charl Schwartzel (16s) to potentially place. I will be relying on Dubuisson for now however.

Dufner was one i had shortlisted this week but left him out due to his putting last week, from the small bits i saw last night he seemed to be putting well this week though!

His putting is err.. off putting alright when it comes to back him. He seems in a good place given his interview(s) with his overall game and life outside the golf course though, so was worth a shot.

Already a tad miffed seeing Kirk (2nd) and Palmer (T3) playing well :pac:

His putting is err.. off putting alright when it comes to back him. He seems in a good place given his interview(s) with his overall game and life outside the golf course though, so was worth a shot.

Already a tad miffed seeing Kirk (2nd) and Palmer (T3) playing well :pac:

am actually sitting here trying to decide weather to pull the trigger on him in play given the above

Kuchar fried already started well got to 6 under but not close enough now

Stuck a tenner on Scott @ 9/2 just now.

I knew this before, but he's taking a break for a few weeks after this event so will want to go out there and finish up on a winning note. Only 3 shots behind with the third and final round to play. Hopefully himself and Dufner go low over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

I know backing doubles in golf is a bit mad but backed dufner & grace during the week. Hopefully dufner goes well tonight and gives me something to shout about tomorrow

Advertisement