Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Golf Tips Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Even the fact that they do the preview and the build up on bbc its magic stuff

Crazy the differences in odds on golfers, brian gay is 300/1 with pp and i got colsaertd at 90?
    well, just like us the bookies have different fancies/liabilities so i don't find it crazy at all tbh esp with the big outsiders

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Even the fact that they do the preview and the build up on bbc its magic stuff

Crazy the differences in odds on golfers, brian gay is 300/1 with pp and i got colsaertd at 90?

I don't see what is so crazy about it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Walter lemon

Gay is still 300/1 with PP, why not back him there, if you can access it I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

I've gone e/w on the following. Tom Watson 1000/1 tempted for a small e/w, will see tomorrow.

Justin Rose 18/1
    Serigo Garica 40/1
    Jason Day 55/1

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Gay is still 300/1 with PP, why not back him there, if you can access it I suppose

I put my bets on, on sunday cant believe he drifted to 300/1. i couldn't believe he was 200 at the time but 300

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Walter lemon

He might be limping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

after a hell of a lot of thinking i've done my each way bets:

Way Westwood, Lee @ 28/1
    Day, Jason @ 60/1
    Way Garcia, Sergio @ 40/1
    Johnson, Dustin @ 30/1
    Kuchar, Matt @ 35/1

I'll probably throw big on woods if he's on form come sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Kuchar 35/1 EW
    Colsaerts 100/1 EW
    Garcia 45/1 EW
    Bradley 20/1 EW

And Rory to win @ 11/1

Good luck!

First round leader: Westwood @28/1,Ryan Moore @100/1

Betting w/o Woods,Mich and Rory :(Betpack)
    Mahan @40/1 e/w 5 places
    Moore @90/1 e/w 5 places
    P.Hanson @40 e/w 5 places
    Westwood win only @18/1

Already backed Kucher ante post win only.

Looking at Sandy Lyle's swing tonight 8/11 about a score of 86 or more is tempting me.(Betpack)

Top Dubutant : Scott Piercy @10/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭JLoftus

Fred Couples 13/8 to be the top senior player looks a great be to me! Going with a Large stake.

his last 3 years hes finished 12th, 15th and 6th.. his only real opposition:

1. Vijay Singh 27th, Missed cut, Missed cut.
    2. Bernhard Langer Missed cut, Missed cut, Missed cut.
    3. Tom Watson Missed cut, Missed cut, 18th.

• Advertisement

JLoftus wrote: »
    Fred Couples 13/8 to be the top senior player looks a great be to me! Going with a Large stake.

agree totally,fill your boots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

Great spot. Don't have cojones at that price myself but it could be a steal. Hope it works out for you.

Right.

I have fancied Tiger for several months and I'm on at 13/2 since November.

I would normally have a couple of savers but I just don't see the point this time round.

Phil is the only other person I'd have an EW bet on as he loves it and is an unpredictable nutter but I don't think he can do it for 4 days.

As I go through the field I'm just putting lines through players.

For example, Dustin Johnson just can't win this event and should be 300/1 not 30/1.

Lee Westwood should be good round here but we all know he lacks the bottle.

Stricker and Snedeker would have been on my radar but have had recent injuries.

Kuchar will only win if left out in front. I don't like his lack of killer instinct/bottle.

I just think that nobody will touch Tiger.

Gimme a player and I'll give you my reason as to why I don't think he can win.

Garcia - bottle and putter.

Schwartzel has been in form but now seems to be running out of it.

Rory may give Tiger a run but it's unlikely with his current form/head space. Although at least he did hit some form last week but I don't think he'll do it over 4 days.

I just think that over the last 3 years it's been more unpredictable. Nobody stands out as bringing in good form or momentum this year.

I know there are a few players who MIGHT hit form this weekend and ARE capable of winning a Major ( Oosthuizen, Donald,Rory) but why take the risk.

Tiger must be one of the safest EW bets for a long long time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭loadwire

Couples knows his way around Augusta for sure. I'd say it's a tight enough call between him and Vijay, as the odds reflect. Apart from the last two years Singh has a really good record there too. This season he's been steady enough, nothing amazing but not missing cuts. If you put a gun to my head I'd probably fancy Couples but not enough to go in deep. A good spot though, those kind of bets can be really enjoyable to follow over the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

All E/W

Westwood
    Bradley
    Els

Westwood 1st round leader

Win

Couples top senior

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭loadwire

fangee wrote: »
    Gimme a player and I'll give you my reason as to why I don't think he can win.

You can always find a reason a player might not win. Tiger might not win if he doesn't drive it straight - he's 147th in driving accuracy stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

For example, Dustin Johnson just can't win this event and should be 300/1 not 30/1.

Thats an outragous statement and surely if you believe he should be 300/1 you should be laying the bollox out of the 30/1

I hate those outlandinsh remarks and they just remind me of that tool srfc from the horse racing forum!

out of interest what makes you feel he should be a 300/1 shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I seen someone either here or on the Masters thread looking for Steve Palmers picks from the Racing Post. Here you go.

Keegan Bradley 2.5 Pts E/W

Dustin Johnson 2.0 Pts E/W

Bubba Watson 1.5 Pts E/W

Hunter Mahan 1.0 Pts E/W

Richard Sterne 0.5 Pts E/W

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Thats an outragous statement and surely if you believe he should be 300/1 you should be laying the bollox out of the 30/1

I hate those outlandinsh remarks and they just remind me of that tool srfc from the horse racing forum!

So you're calling me a tool ? For suggesting that somebody is too short in price ?

I'm nothing like the guy you mentioned. I have actually put somebody up to win as opposed to shooting down people without backing it up.

I'm a big DJ fan but I could never see him winning this tournament. He doesn't have the short game in my opinion. I do see him winning the final major of the year though.

But don't be calling me a tool for voicing my opinion.

So you're calling me a tool ? For suggesting that somebody is too short in price ?

I'm nothing like the guy you mentioned. I have actually put somebody up to win as opposed to shooting down people without backing it up.

I'm a big DJ fan but I could never see him winning this tournament. He doesn't have the short game in my opinion. I do see him winning the final major of the year though.

it's very easy to pick out 1 player who won't win.The comment re:300/1 was stupid though.

oh,you also said Westwood lacked bottle.Do you know how many comps he's won in his career?There are only 4 majors a year with approx 150 other competitors.To win a major you need luck as much as anything else.Westwood's only problem is his putting stroke and chipping isn't natural.He doesn't beleive in it but i think he has the bottle to win.

• Advertisement

it's very easy to pick out 1 player who won't win.The comment re:300/1 was stupid though.

Can you refrain from calling me stupid for having an opinion.

I think he is savagely under priced. End of. You don't have to agree.

I have picked out more than one player who I think won't win and briefly explained why.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

redzerdrog wrote: »

I lol'd :pac:

Can you refrain from calling me stupid for having an opinion.

I think he is savagely under priced. End of. You don't have to agree.

I have picked out more than one player who I think won't win and briefly explained why.

the comment was stupid,don't be sooo defensive,you could just say,'ok 300 was a huge exageration'

anyway,did you lay him or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭frat

Woods $100 @ 4/1
    McIlroy $50 @ 10/1
    Bradley $10 @ 22/1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

You're getting very defensive, I didnt call you a tool whatsoever and am not sure how you even came up with that. What I said is that the type of outlandish comment is very similar to a type of post that I despise in general.

There are arguments for and against Dustin but to say he should be 300/1 is pure ****e talk and we both know that. Its nearly as bad as simonsig being a 7/1 shot :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Back to the golf please! Use the report post function if you feel you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

oh,you also said Westwood lacked bottle.Do you know how many comps he's won in his career?There are only 4 majors a year with approx 150 other competitors.To win a major you need luck as much as anything else.Westwood's only problem is his putting stroke and chipping isn't natural.He doesn't beleive in it but i think he has the bottle to win.

Fairly big problems though, I think Westwood may be past his peak. 7 top 3 finishes in the last 5 years. He should really have won one by now if he was going to. Maybe he'll surprise us in his 40's, who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Fairly big problems though, I think Westwood may be past his peak. 7 top 3 finishes in the last 5 years. He should really have won one by now if he was going to. Maybe he'll surprise us in his 40's, who knows!

His short game just will not stand up in Augusta. Whatever chance he has in the Open or US Open, I just cannot see him winning a Masters......ever.

denisoc16 wrote: »
    His short game just will not stand up in Augusta. Whatever chance he has in the Open or US Open, I just cannot see him winning a Masters......ever.
    did you watch the masters last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

did you watch the masters last year?

Yes, did he win it?

Advertisement