Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Golf Tips Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

Johnny86 wrote: »
    Went a bit crazy on the bets at the WGC - this is what I've done!

WGC
    Woods - 14
    Bradley - 28
    G Mac - 40
    Molinari - 100
    All win bets - Paddys allowing cash-out on the Golf now.

J Donaldson 80/1 1st round leader e-w - gets off to great starts I find.

Top 10 bets on
    F-dez Castano 11/1
    Castro 10/1
    Woodland 5/1
    Dubuisson 9/2

Donaldson has the best 2nd round...grrrrr!! G Mac and Molinari in good positions for me going into the weekend. Not expecting the top 10's to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,349 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Donaldson has the best 2nd round...grrrrr!! G Mac and Molinari in good positions for me going into the weekend. Not expecting the top 10's to come in.

If wind keeps up I expect a European to come through, hence why picked Mcdowell. Rory is too short. Still anyones really from 20-30 players as a Even Par round in same conditions tomorrow will drag lot players into it if they are 6-7 shots behind today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

Mc neill doin nothing in round 3 everone else scoring well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

jjll wrote: »
    Mc neill doin nothing in round 3 everone else scoring well

he was the same yesterday until he birdied 3 of the last four holes and pretty similar in round one aswell iirc

If he can get to -4 today he will still be in with a shout going into tomorrow

Who do ye think will do the business tonight? A serious test of Reed's nerve with such an established leaderboard in behind. Paddys price it 7/2 Reed and Woods.

If you took a chance that Reed shoots a poor round, then you could definitely consider players as far down as +1 (maybe +2 although its a fairly bunched). Jimmy Walker (+1) at 40s or Phil (+2) at 50s would be taking my eye at the moment (both 55s on the exchanges).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

Who do ye think will do the business tonight? A serious test of Reed's nerve with such an established leaderboard in behind. Paddys price it 7/2 Reed and Woods.

If you took a chance that Reed shoots a poor round, then you could definitely consider players as far down as +1 (maybe +2 although its a fairly bunched). Jimmy Walker (+1) at 40s or Phil (+2) at 50s would be taking my eye at the moment (both 55s on the exchanges).

Looking at this myself, going to take a punt on Zach Johnson @ 16/1 who is at even par and Jimmy Walker @ 40/1 who is 1 over. Always tough to defend a lead going into the final round so I can see Reed possibly struggling. Regarding Tiger it will all come down to his control over the driver off the tee. Some round from him yesterday but sadly he has more bad rounds than good these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Watney was my last hope, at +2, but he has now withdrawn :(

Even though deep down I wont back him looking at Tigers 16/1 price this week is tempting. Yes he might withdraw as easy as anything. His form is awful, but he still a guy who can turn it in a flash..

One bet already

Patrick Reed @ 95 on exchanges.. not matched on place yet.

My tissue had him for around 66/1 maybe 70/1 so very happy to take 95's.

He does not have any past course form, but the course has had some major changes to it from last year so I think course form while still important will be bit more of guessing game this time. 24-32-13-19-1-16 place figures for the year suggest he is more then capable of getting in the mix.

Price is too big for me to ignore imo.

You ****ing beauty Reed!!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Well done,great shout,what a price for one of the top 5 players in the world lol

Well done,great shout,what a price for one of the top 5 players in the world lol

Thanks Bob.

Hindsight is wonderful.

Had 2 winners this year and both coming from Reed.

He does not owe me nothing from now. Bit nervous in the end, but ill take it.

• Advertisement

Just saw the interview. He came across a little cocky alright:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Another week to forget for me,Getting straight into this one.

Trophee Hassan - Orum Madsen 66/1 ew

De Laet in Valspar 40/1

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Haven't been around due to work and family commitments. Haven't seen the odds for the Valspar but reckon English might be too short to back.

My initial picks would be

Harris English
    CJ CHoi
    Cameron Tringale
    Stewart Cink

Just 1 bet so far for me so far

Russell Knox 66/1 ew Bets 365

He ticks quite a number of boxes in a course that suits very good ball strikers and good Bermuda Green putters. He is resident of Florida, lead the Proximity to the Hole at Honda (hope pga stats are right) and leading scorer in Par 3s and this course has 5. The last 4 times he has played in Flordia he has went 21-9-6-2. So getting better;)

Link below is a course overview for this weeks PGA for those interested. Course is well tree lined. With various Doglegs both ways it wont suit in favour of a drawer or fader. Good Accuracy and Ball striking looks key along with Bermuda Putting Lovers

http://www.innisbrookgolfresort.com/pdf/innisbrook-copperhead-yardage-card.pdf

Rest of my bets this week are..

Harris English 18/1 win only
    Will Mackenzie 75 win and place
    Jonas Blixt 90 win and place

English really has all the stats on his side and while price may look skinny his consistency and fact he can get over the line I think his price is actually decent. Mackenzie is being backed weekly now as I think he will win this season and hopefully soon.

The interesting one is Blixt. Very talented player and Florida resident. Only player not to have made bogey in 2nd round last week in that wind, with his final round 66 Bogey free I think he is very good value this week.

Donald @20/1 in e/w double and sigles also with Craig Lee @45/1

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

Don't normally bet on golf unless it's the majors, although I've a decent record in it recently, so thought I may as well give it a go in the run up to Augusta.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to watch much PGA tour the last few months, so any thoughts on these bets would be appreciated!

Harris English each way @ 18/1: As someone said earlier, all the stats point to the kid so really should just be a question as to whether or not he can manage his game and the occasion if he is in a winning position. Short odds but thought I'd go each way just in case he does slip up if he's in a leading position.
    Jason Dufner each way @ 25/1:Bit of a mixed season for him so far but showing encouraging signs and I think the guy just oozes class, big fan.
    Russell Knox each way @ 50/1: As a Florida native he has a decent record in the area as well as being a good par 3 player with 5 on the course, on the back of a steady season to date.

That said they'll probably all miss the cut now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Valspar Championship

Graham DeLaet @33/1 - I really like DeLaet, I'm sure he'll win soon.

Gary Woodland @35/1 - Won here in 2011, missed cut last year but has started this year ok with 3 top 20's already including T16 last week in Doral.

Also going to follow a few tips on here with Russell Knox and Jonas Blixt.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Fant11

Donald at 22.0 on betfair. English/Hoey ew double. Anyone looking at Knox first round leader?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭manafana

Bit of lean spell in the golf mostly dead heat places lately, still 2013 was so strong that with Golf you have be in for long term although increasing my stakes as things havn't gone as well does hurt.

i have my Trophee Hassan II Picks up

some notes from it;

Wayward drives are punished if too far off and also hitting fairways makes it far easier to hit those tricky greens.

Damien McGrane 125/1 bet365 -A 2nd here in 2012, and patches of form this year, my only 100/1+ placer in 2013 so fond memories. These shorter tracks suit his game.

Edoardo Molinari 40/1 Coral – A top 10 in two of his three starts shows why his confidence is on the up. Has 6th here two years ago and game in better shape than then. Now fully fit he can go back to winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Hi

This weeks selections are :

Webb Simpson and Jonas Blixt for the Valspar

D Horsey and M Baldwin in the Hassan

Good luck all

US. Donald @20/1 win a couple small e/w bets,Scott Brown,Justin Hicks and Michael Thompson

in Europe decent E/w bet on Craig Lee @66/1 e/w doubled up with Donald @20/1

Win Singles and e-w cross doubles on the following

US: Im on Furyk 35-1 and Webb Simpson 28-1
    Europe: Horsey 16-1 and Van Zyl 33-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Hi lads, my first contribution to this thread!

Valspar Championship

The backers of Spieth or English might be happy to learn that I've backed them when they teed up this season nearly every time, I'm gonna swerve this time I think they're a tad short tbh, will be sods law when one of them romps it though!

Furyk @40
    Has won it before and looking at previous winners like Donald, Calcavecchia and Choi, it's definitely not exclusively a bombers course, so steady Jim is a decent price IMHO.

Oosthuizen @70
    The concern is he has had a niggling injury the last couple of weeks, but if he's fully fit then he's a class act and a huge price, lots of guys who've never won are shorter than him, madness.

Koepka @110
    Speculative punt on this one, he looks like a big talent, hopefully he can click here this week.

Blixt going poor:o

Was so annoying to see van Zyl go from -5 thru 8 holes to finish the day level par...frustrating!!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Well, I'm back from the darkness 2 weeks later as of today.

Had DJ last week, very disappointing final round. Went with these three this week -

f364f33c5c758ecdbb66c7ad22fa1d51.png

Unsurprising names I know. God Boy is done for it looks like.

Hi lads, my first contribution to this thread!

Valspar Championship

The backers of Spieth or English might be happy to learn that I've backed them when they teed up this season nearly every time, I'm gonna swerve this time I think they're a tad short tbh, will be sods law when one of them romps it though!

Furyk @40
    Has won it before and looking at previous winners like Donald, Calcavecchia and Choi, it's definitely not exclusively a bombers course, so steady Jim is a decent price IMHO.

I backed [EMAIL="Jim@25/1"]Jim@25/1[/EMAIL] yesterday,whan was he 40/1?post ur bet up if you like

• Advertisement

I backed [EMAIL="Jim@25/1"]Jim@25/1[/EMAIL] yesterday,whan was he 40/1?post ur bet up if you like

I've got Jim at 35s with paddys pre tournament myself

Advertisement