Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Golf Tips Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

No one shooting the lights out early on. Fairly packed with the leaders on -2. Colsaerts, Harrington and Spieth playing like i'd backed them heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,349 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The good bad and ugly for me so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

The good bad and ugly for me so far

Solid enough day1 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I don't mind where mine are after day 1 but I backed Mackenzie and Perez last week and had Danny Lee shortlisted this week. I still think Palmer will be in the mix Sunday and I have a feeling Perez and Lee will drop back a bit.

This week I shall mainly be cursing Billy Horschel @40/1 and Cameron Tringale @66/1.

Horschels opening round of 80 just about sets the tone of my recent bets.

• Advertisement

Perez is a good man to back first round leader I say.

always seems to have his name around the top after first few days.

The Masters probably deserves its own tips thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057178384

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭freethearmy

have c hoffman backed e/w at 28/1........not looking great and have Ben Curtis backed at 40/1 ...will blow up as i have money on him now :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Dunno what others think but I see the lead as being -4 or -5 in reality , I'm sort of discounting all those guys at the top can't see any of them winning.. Anything Even or better still well in it IMO.

16 birdies and an eagle in 3 rounds for Palmer but somehow he's still only at -5. Don't think he'll be close enough to the top to challenge tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Right going bit mad with 6 players this week but 2 in triple figure odds

Jimmy Walker 24's win only
    Brenden Steele 38 win and place
    Will Mackenzie 55 win and place
    Kevin Na 50 win and place

Geoff Ogilvy 260 win and top 10 14/1(Boyles)
    Billy Hurley 320 win and Top 10 (Ladbrokes)

/QUOTE]

I dont think im having the winner but place prospects are decent and Ogilvy giving me a run for Top 10.

The top 4 I think will have the winner now.

Na on -7 and 2 lads on -6 not totally out of it be will need v good rounds and leader to stall.

-5 players require 64 or better and that might not be enough.

So think Top 4 is where its at. Bowditch with nice lead but its catchable.

Right going bit mad with 6 players this week but 2 in triple figure odds

Jimmy Walker 24's win only
    Brenden Steele 38 win and place
    Will Mackenzie 55 win and place
    Kevin Na 50 win and place
    Geoff Ogilvy 260 win and top 10 14/1(Boyles)
    Billy Hurley 320 win and Top 10 (Ladbrokes)

Oh MacKenzie ya tease!!

Ogilvily only needed to Par the Par 5 18th for tie top 10. Bogey.:mad:

Made a little profit, so wont complain in what was awful to watch at times.

Maybe one, if not the worst Sunday Golf I have seen displayed on PGA Tour. Shocking at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Oh MacKenzie ya tease!!

Ogilvily only needed to Par the Par 5 18th for tie top 10. Bogey.:mad:

Made a little profit, so wont complain in what was awful to watch at times.

Maybe one, if not the worst Sunday Golf I have seen displayed on PGA Tour. Shocking at times.

Agree. Quality was low.

If you told the field on Thursday morning that 8 under would win it then 30 guys would have thought they would win it.

Players playing the situation rather than the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

That was painfull to watch thankfully the Sunday game was on to distract me away from the golf for an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

The Asia comeback to claim a draw helped me out a bit,Dunno if I'm up or not either way it was fairly marginal stuff.

Have about 10 chosen between 5 or 6 bookies for The Masters,got a few decent prices over the last couple of months I'll have to look through them all in the week.

Shows you how good tonight was;)
    Steven Bowditch's closing 76 is the highest final round by a winner since @VijaySinghGolf's 76 at the 2004 @PGAChampionship.
    Rob Bolton ‏@RobBoltonGolf 1h
    The last winner of a non-major to shoot 76 or higher in the final round was Fred Couples, who carded a 77 at the 1983 Kemper Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭manafana

both mckenzie and summerhays had chances to force play off on that back 9, the slow play from last 2 groups ruined what was a good event and nice course.

Jimmy Walker 40s and Bjerregaard 33/1 so far for me.

Mahan 28/1
    DaLaet 40/1
    Pettersson 66/1

Bets done already for this week.

Hunter Mahan 33/1 (SJ)
    Graham De Laet 40/1 (PP)
    Carl Schartwzel 40/1 (SJ)
    Kevin Stradler 125/1 (Coral)
    Josh Teater 200/1 (Boyles)

All ew. Bit too lazy to do short write up this week.

Small bets as biggie is next week.:)

GL all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

very good field this week but hard to get excited about it as masters is only 10 days away :D

Kirk 67,Oosthuizen 81 and Tringale 101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

OOSTHUIZEN has the course form to compete so I'll take a chance at 66/1.

Also like the look of DeLaet and he will be my main bet at 33/1 even though I think he should be bigger.

It's very difficult to drop players that you have been backing fairly regularly but it's time to bin NA, Palmer, Snedeker and Moore (not playing) and not get caught falling for the same 'signs' every week. I'll just have to accept it when they win and I'm not on.

Also, when I posted my picks about two weeks ago I mentioned that I fancied Scott but not at the price. Think he was 16's or 18's. After 2-3 days I was annoyed with myself but he crumbled and didn't get the job done. It still made me think....

Does anybody else have a problem with backing 1st, 2nd, 3rd favourites ? The fact is that 18/1 is a fantastic price for any winner. One of those a month would do very nicely. I reasoned that he wasn't value at 18/1 but I'm full of Sh*t right ?

A winner is a winner so from now on I will be making my picks and no matter what price I will be backing my selections. I will not be making calls based on price. I thought DeLaet would be 40's or better with the depth of this field but I'm happy (isn) to take 33's and move on.

tomaussie wrote: »
    Does anybody else have a problem with backing 1st, 2nd, 3rd favourites ?

A lot of the time yeah,if I do it's usually either a straight single or an e/w double with another favourite.
    Would've took 40s on De Laet this morning but since he's gone in I'll leave it.Small shout on Mickelson@29 though,don't see him out that far often.

Added a few little bets on Gary Stal(126),T Van der Walt(151) and Brandon Stone(161) on the Euro Tour.Hoping for an upset will probably leave it at that for the week.

DeLaet still isn't a bad price at 33's so I'll be having some of that. As I have been saying for a year he is going to win soon. He finished 3rd here in 2010 and 31st last year. Two second place finishes this season already, if he can put 4 solid rounds together he will have a great chance. Hopefully some of the bigger have their minds on Augusta.
    Jason Kokrak has also had a good year with 5 Top 20's, played good last week except for a poor 3rd round. Finished 9th here last season.

Shell Houston Open

Graham Delaet @ 33/1 ew
    Jason Kokrak @50/1 ew

Only relatively small stakes as Augusta is only a week away. My account could do with a bit of a boost before that. Best of luck everyone.

tomaussie wrote: »
    OOSTHUIZEN has the course form to compete so I'll take a chance at 66/1.

I'll just have to accept it when they win and I'm not on.

Also, when I posted my picks about two weeks ago I mentioned that I fancied Scott but not at the price. Think he was 16's or 18's. After 2-3 days I was annoyed with myself but he crumbled and didn't get the job done. It still made me think....

Does anybody else have a problem with backing 1st, 2nd, 3rd favourites ? The fact is that 18/1 is a fantastic price for any winner. One of those a month would do very nicely. I reasoned that he wasn't value at 18/1 but I'm full of Sh*t right ?

You made some good points in that post.

I think everyone here can safely say they have backed players one week and they come nowhere and the next week they go along not pick same player and he wins.

Thats the nature of Golf betting. Its happened to everyone of us and sadly will more then likely happen few more times.:pac:

Just one thing on prices. They still mean a lot to me. I would still look for value. If I felt a player was 100/1 shot and he was 200/1 say then I would find it hard not to back him.

But everyone to their own. If its making you money go for it is what I say. Never dish winning formula.

I always back one Golfer blindly in the year myself. Mackenzie this year. Good success with it in past. I just hope if Mackenzie does win its at a nice price.

and to top it all you need that bit of luck too. Gary Player once said "The harder you work, the luckier you get" so I try to see it that way ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

YayaBanana wrote: »
    DeLaet still isn't a bad price at 33's so I'll be having some of that. As I have been saying for a year he is going to win soon. He finished 3rd here in 2010 and 31st last year. Two second place finishes this season already, if he can put 4 solid rounds together he will have a great chance. Hopefully some of the bigger have their minds on Augusta.
    Jason Kokrak has also had a good year with 5 Top 20's, played good last week except for a poor 3rd round. Finished 9th here last season.

Shell Houston Open

Graham Delaet @ 33/1 ew
    Jason Kokrak @50/1 ew

Only relatively small stakes as Augusta is only a week away. My account could do with a bit of a boost before that. Best of luck everyone.

ffs that's 2 out of my 3 picks,crazy.The other one is Kirk and i'll someone on the euro later.
    Kokrak impressed my a few weeks ago when he played very well and was well up there on a tight course that shouldn't really have suited him.He plays well here and as his putting has improved a lot I think he'll go close.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sean1508

i fancy jimmy walker 47/1 and rickie fowler 90/1 and a small bet e/w on russell henley 125/1 and im going for henley first round leader to 100/1 good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

sean1508 wrote: »
    i fancy jimmy walker 47/1 and rickie fowler 90/1 and a small bet e/w on russell henley 125/1 and im going for henley first round leader to 100/1 good luck
    jesus those prices quoted look big,how much did you get on ?

• Advertisement

jesus those prices quoted look big,how much did you get on ?

As I see it here on betfair you can get matched on Walker at 48 and Fowler at 95. You could try and get 50 and 100 if put in and waited short while.

Advertisement