Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Golf Tips Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Paul Casey
    Billy Horschel
    both 33

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

Terrible start from zach to round 2 went in water was 2 over would be happy if he gets to eight or nine under by end of round 2

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I hope Crane is using up all his birdies in the first two rounds :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I hope Crane is using up all his birdies in the first two rounds :pac:

he playing well but hopefully the added pressure of leading into the weekend gets to him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Jacobson was sitting pretty on -6 only a few hours ago. Now at +2 and last of the players that made the cut. Still have Ben Martin and Svoboda at -4 and -5.

• Advertisement

Villegas @ 9/1, yet to start his 3rd round and 4 shots back. Just a tenner for interest.

Things are very bunched up at the top of the leaderboard atm with Crane faltering, but clinging on.

__

Just taking it now incase he wins and his odds drop, but taken Webb Simpson @ 66/1 for next week already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,344 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Small bets this week with big one next week

Harris English 28th/1 ew
    Webb Simpson 35/1ew
    Russell Henely 55/1ew
    Russell Knox 70/1ew
    Mackenzie 125/1ew

made a total profit of 2.25euro.

im rich;):o

least go into coming week with head start. not complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭applehunter

Oh Billy.:(

All aboard Sergio for next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

tomaussie wrote: »
    I've added HORSEY in Europe at 40/1 to Jacobson at 50/1 in America.

Added Matt Every too.

EW double too.

Stupid Horsey. Place double would have been sweet.

Nice enough return on Every though who placed at 90/1.

• Advertisement

Oddschecker being down is ruining my night :mad:

oh Zach 10 over for 3 rounds after starting 6 under on round 1

YayaBanana wrote: »
    FedEx St. Jude Classic

I'm saving most of my money for next week, going to follow most of you here with Freddie Jacobson, he skipped the US Open regional qualifier to concentrate on this event hoping to break into the top 60 in the owgr so he should will hopefully be at his best. Also going with two other small bets on players who are showing some good form.

Freddie Jacobson @ 60/1 e/w
    Ben Martin @ 100/1 e/w
    Andrew Svoboda @ 150/1 e/w

Got a place from Svoboda, but 5 players tied with him so I didn't even break even for the week. 3 shots dropped in 3 holes in his last round really hurt.

Ben Martin played some great stuff but a 74 in round 3 put him out of contention.

The less said about Freddie the better.

Going to study the US Open tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Got some bets done for the U.S Open thus far I have...

Furyk 40/1 E.W
    D.J 40/1 E.W
    Goosen 150/1 E.W
    Jimenez 150/1 E.W

Plenty more to come methinks!

I was so sweet on JUSTIN ROSE to retain his title but the forecast weather is starting to make me rethink my selections. BILL HAAS and GRAHAM MCDOWELL were also high on my list. I read or heard last week that ROSE's coach lives 20 minutes from the course so it's easy to assume that he should have his short game on the money for this course.

If the weather forecast is correct then it may pay to side with a few big hitters. BUBBA would have to be high on the list with his distance, creativity and his current form.

I had a very shortlist of 2 for this comp for a number of weeks now in ROSE and MCDOWELL so its a tad annoying to have a new shortlist of 9 now. ROSE, MCDOWELL, HAAS, BUBBA, DUFNER, D.J, CHARL, OOSTHUIZEN and KAYMER are all on my radar now so it will be difficult to narrow it down to 3 max. I really don't like backing more than 2 in a comp although I will have a bet in running after 2 days.

All said and done I think the bet of the tournament may turn out to be JIMENEZ at 7/2 to be top Spaniard. He is in terrific form and I'm not sure a half fit GARCIA will be anything to be worried about.

Will be very interested to hear what you all have to say. I backed HORSEY in Europe last week and it was a nice reminder as to how much luck you need on top of everything else to win a tournament. I thought the weather was against him for the first 2 days but yet he still managed to finish top 10. So with dodgy weather due in North Carolina it may pay to pick an early and late starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Gone with a final 4 this week after narrowing it down. All each-way and 1/4 odds for 6 places

Jimenez 125/1
    De Laet 100/1
    Kaymer 40/1
    McIlroy 10/1

US Open 2014:

1) Jordan Spieth @ 28/1
    2) Hideki Matsuyama @ 45/1
    3) Webb Simpson @ 66/1
    4) Jonas Blixt @ 100/1 (added Top 10 @ 11/1 with SJ too)

Will add one more in due course, thinking over a long shot Justin Leonard @ 300/1, Casey or one of the favourites (Bubba, Stenson or Sergio).

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    US Open 2014:

Will add one more in due course, thinking over a long shot Justin Leonard @ 300/1,

you can get matched at 700 as I type on betfair if thats any use.

im still in middle of picking. most likely have 5-6 selections

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭applehunter

Rory McIlroy 11/1 If he's on his game he is the one to beat.

Sergio Garcia 38 - Trust that injury is ok. US Open suits his game.

Louis Oosthuizen 110 - Driving it miles this season. Game looked in good shape in the Byron Nelson. Putting is the weakness.

Charl Schwartzel 55/1 After a poor week at Wentworth he was back to his consistent form in America. Couple of putts away from a win.

Small stakes

Bill Haas 100 - Suprisingly has a poor record in major championships. Plays well on difficult Par 70s.

Gonzo 460 - Showed flashes last week. Tradable price.

Ironic that Garcia is probably the best putter out of the bunch.

This weeks bets and there could be more if some drift a wee bit

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90787293&postcount=302

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

rose westie and day 28s 45s 30s win
    top ten and top fives also

managed to make money on the last five majors having had
    duf mickie and more recently bubba backed and had day backed
    ew in two of those last year

on the tour events I manage to miss the cut more weeks than not :confused:
    I can't understand it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Kuchar 30
    Kaymer 46
    Walker 60
    Todd 120
    Henley 340
    Langley 690

Dustin Johnson it is at 33/1. I never thought I'd back him for the US Open as I've always seen the PGA as the most likely event to win his first major.

I know it's normally a tidy accurate player for the US Open but not this year. Course is playing even longer with the weather and DJ is in great form and ticks all the boxes for me. None of the other players on my shortlist owe me anything but DJ does so I'd be very annoyed if he wins and I'm not on.

It would be so easy to back 5-10 players and still not get the winner so I'll be having stakes savers (with a small profit on top) on McDowell and Bubba.

JIMENEZ at 7/2 to be top Spaniard will be getting hammered too.

If ROSE wins I may very well stop backing in golf as he was my number one target for a few weeks but the I can't have him now with what I perceive to be a longer course.

Cant see past rory high ball flight ticks boxes for me

Anybody know what the racing post tipped up ?

Really not feeling confident this week, nobody is really standing out for me and the US Open throwing up the odd surprise winner isn't making me any more confident. I have a feeling that we might get a first time major winner this weekend.

Spieth @ 25/1
    DeLaet @ 80/1
    Lowry @ 100/1
    Koepka @ 200/1

All e/w.

I don't need to explain Spieth, quality player who will win multiple majors.

DeLaet is an excellent ball striker and is unbelievably consistent but his putting always lets him down, if he holes a few this week he has a good chance.

Lowry is obviously in great form and definitely has the short game, hopefully the 2-ball putter is still hot.

Koepka is just someone I liked the price of and I might add 1 or 2 more like him before it starts.

I'm only keeping my stakes pretty small, want to enjoy my weekend, girlfriend away for a few days, US Open, World Cup and a few beers, I feel like I've already won. Good luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

no messing around this week,one pick...Jimmy Walker e/w 60/1
    big hitter,high ball flight,good putter.A lot of the tipsters reckon his chipping might not be up to it but I think for a guy who has won4 times in the last year 60/1 is decent value.
    Also,showed up well in his first masters this year and didn't look at all phased.

Must start doing write ups again but little busy at minute so just throw up my picks for week.

Bubba Watson 18/1 win only
    Speith 28/1 ew
    Furyk 45/1 ew
    Simpson 60/1 ew
    Blixt 100/1 ew

All 6 places ew

Best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Just watched Rory's press conference from earlier today. Going down to treble my stake on Rory at 12/1 with 6 places, must be mad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

All very tiny e/w bets for interest more than anything

Spieth - 25/1
    Day - 28/1
    GMac - 55/1
    Casey - 100/1
    Donaldson - 100/1
    Lowry - 100/1
    Gallacher - 125/1
    Colsaerts - 200/1
    Siem - 300/1