Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New custom built PC has funny noises coming from the speakers

Options
  • 06-03-2013 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Just got a new pc today and built it from parts ordered on hardware versand. Everything is great, seems really quick but I'm noticing a low crackling sound coming out of my speakers. It's very low but noticable and it almost makes a sound like a boiling kettle for a split second at a time once in a while but low enough. Is there some parts I should check or what could cause something like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,320 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Loose connection or poor grounding perhaps. From my understanding your grounding is going to come from making sure the Motherboard is properly seated on all of it's mounting points.

Wouldn't be the first time I've gone and completely re-assembled a new build for lack of knowing what I did wrong. Except in that case it failed to power on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Also make sure the audio device drivers are installed properly/up to date

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 42 renegade909

Overheal wrote: »
    Loose connection or poor grounding perhaps. From my understanding your grounding is going to come from making sure the Motherboard is properly seated on all of it's mounting points.

Wouldn't be the first time I've gone and completely re-assembled a new build for lack of knowing what I did wrong. Except in that case it failed to power on.

Do you reckon I should take it apart to check everything is assembled correctly then?
    yoyo wrote: »
    Also make sure the audio device drivers are installed properly/up to date

Nick

Just updated everything earlier to the latest drivers and it's still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

A simple question but is the same nosie there when using headphones or different speakers.

I tried with the headphones and there was no problem. The speakers I'm using are going through an external soundcard and into the usb connection at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,320 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I tried with the headphones and there was no problem. The speakers I'm using are going through an external soundcard and into the usb connection at the back.
    Try the headphones through the same hookup

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The razor sharp tabs on the motherboard backplate openings are there for a reason, they actually act as a shield for the motherboard sockets. Some users bend them out of the way or I've even seen a case were the builder cut them off because they made it more difficult to get the Mobo sockets through the backplate. You should also check the audio lead going from your speakers to your sound source, replace it and try that.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

The speakers I'm using are going through an external soundcard and into the usb connection at the back.

I presume there is onboard sound as well? If so connect the speakers directly to PC and see if problem remains.

The razor sharp tabs on the motherboard backplate openings are there for a reason, they actually act as a shield for the motherboard sockets. Some users bend them out of the way or I've even seen a case were the builder cut them off because they made it more difficult to get the Mobo sockets through the backplate. You should also check the audio lead going from your speakers to your sound source, replace it and try that.

So should I take the computer apart to check all parts connected to the motherboard are secure? The speakers and cables are definitely ok, I've just tried using the soundcard going through my laptop and there's no noise from the speakers.
    mordeith wrote: »
    I presume there is onboard sound as well? If so connect the speakers directly to PC and see if problem remains.

I'll try get a set of speakers tomorrow to try it out, the ones I have are studio monitors and the computer doesn't have any slots for them.

Advertisement