Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tweaking a Kit

Options
  • 06-03-2013 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

I've got a Cooper's Stout, and 1kg Spraymalt.

I've been thinking of tweaking it, as I reckon I've done enough kits now that I have the theory down, so with one left over kit, how could I stretch the comfort zone a bit with this?

I don't want to not make it, but the addition of Spraymalt is as far as I've gone so far.

Not mad into overly hoppy beers, but if dry hopping is a direction to go, I'd be willing to do it, someone will drink the beer even if I don't.

I can't really think of anything else - adding coffee is a definite no-go, I absolutely cannot stand the taste of coffee.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Chillies! Three or four strong ones, boiled in a little water for a couple of minutes to sanitise, then bung them in the mix at the start to add a bit of a kick to the stout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

That's an idea I like!

Chopped or whole?

I might split the wort into two fermenters and do two half brews of different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

i brewed a coopers stout and added some dark spraymalt, brown sugar and treacle.

you could add honey, golden syrup, coca powder or some grains and hops http://www.homebrewwest.ie/grain-hops-brewferm-extract-30-c.asp

When would cocoa powder go in? Is it fermentable?

I think I like Treacle + Cocoa.

For half a kit, how much would I need to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

When would cocoa powder go in? Is it fermentable?

I think I like Treacle + Cocoa.

For half a kit, how much would I need to use?

think i added about 200g of treacle, remember to add a small amount as to much of anything can ruin a brew where a little under and it's still going to be ok.

• Advertisement

Chopped or whole?
    Shouldn't really matter. I quartered mine.
    I might split the wort into two fermenters and do two half brews of different things.
    If you're doing this it's probably an idea to use a whole sachet of yeast in both rather than trying to split one.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Shouldn't really matter. I quartered mine.

Quartered and then boiled is it? then left in for the whole duration of the fermentation process? I'd be worried about them going off or disolving into the beer.

I think both these suggestions are good, so will go ahead with both.

Cheers guys, any other advice welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Chillies!

Ballsy. I like it.

Quartered and then boiled is it?
    Doubt it makes a difference, but yeah. Don't drain them as there'll be chilli goodness in the water: just bung it all in.
    then left in for the whole duration of the fermentation process?
    Yup.
    I'd be worried about them going off or disolving into the beer.
    You just end up with spent chilli bits with the other gunk at the bottom.

Ah, of course.

Ok, A Chilli Stout - would I need anything else in there to compliment or underscore the flavour?

• Advertisement

Other people have added chocolate as well, but I find the chocolateyness of the stout is plenty to complement the chilli.

I was thinking Lime, but that's probably a step too far - Thai Stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Having made a chilli stout, I'd use some mild ones like jalapenos and 3 at most.

Adjust to taste :). I had 5 habaneros in my last one and it packs a wallop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I'm going to go with some chocolate essence in my next batch of stout. I also got some chocolate malt to experiment with but I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make to a kit. It cost around €3.50 so it doesn't really matter if not. It should be fun though, regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Adjust to taste :). I had 5 habaneros in my last one and it packs a wallop.

When I was making mine, I added the chilli at bottling time by putting 5 chopped peppers into vodka and adding 2 tablespoons to 8 bottles from a batch of 40. The chilli stout turned out with a higher carbonation than the regular stout which worked against it. I reckon boiling the peppers would take the edge of the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

fobster wrote: »
    The chilli stout turned out with a higher carbonation than the regular stout which worked against it.

Is stout supposed to be less carbonated than any other beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joctcl

seen a lot of disasters with chillis where it can be a bit tricky to get ratios right.
    Consider small hop additions after fermentation.
    Bramling Cross has some blackcurrant flavour going on so could work, Fuggles and Willamette are other options for you

fobster wrote: »
    I reckon boiling the peppers would take the edge of the heat.
    I don't see why it would. If you add the water you boiled them in to the fermenter as well, 100% of the capsaicin goes into the beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Is stout supposed to be less carbonated than any other beer?

Any one can answer this one guys? I'm going to be bottling a stout tomorrow night and so far I've used two carbonation drops per 500ml bottle in all of my other brews to get the carbonation I like. Should stout be less carbonated? :confused:

• Advertisement

Any one can answer this one guys? I'm going to be bottling a stout tomorrow night and so far I've used two carbonation drops per 500ml bottle in all of my other brews to get the carbonation I like. Should stout be less carbonated? :confused:

You obviously like highly carboanted beer? did you crack them early, did they have residual sweetmess?, If you want fizzy 2 will do it but 1 is my recommendation for a stout, needs time and right temp.

So, will be doing this on Saturday, hopefully will be able to do both.

At what stage should the cocoa go into the mix? Just lash it in with the spraymalt? I also want to stick in a bit of vanilla.

going to do the chilli too, will boil a couple of quartered red chillis and whack that into the stout at the same time as the spraymalt too.

Be very very careful with vanilla, talking to an experienced brewer last night he was suggesting start with 25% of you target, as there is a very fine line line between addition and poison:)

I think I'll get just one pod and scrape it into 10 litres of beer, with the cocoa

Never used pods, just essence, it sounds better, but from a distribution of flavour am curious how it will transfer and disperse, let us know.

joctcl wrote: »
    Never used pods, just essence, it sounds better, but from a distribution of flavour am curious how it will transfer and disperse, let us know.

I bleedin forgot to get the pods in the shop yesterday, so ended up just using essence too.

It's a bit strange too, I halved that Coopers Stout mix, and threw two quartered and boiled chillis into one half, and 100g of cocoa, 200g of treacle and some vanilla eseence into the other.

The fermentation in the Chilli version has started more slowly than the chocolate one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I've used a vanilla pod in a wine kit last year. The Australia 7 day chardonnay kit and 1 vanilla pod, split with seeds scrapped into the fermenter just before pitching the yeast. Came out gorgeous after it had matured in the bottle for a few months. I'll be attempting it on a brew in future.

I have some bourbon vanilla pods in the house that I want to try on a stout.

I bleedin forgot to get the pods in the shop yesterday, so ended up just using essence too.

It's a bit strange too, I halved that Coopers Stout mix, and threw two quartered and boiled chillis into one half, and 100g of cocoa, 200g of treacle and some vanilla eseence into the other.

The fermentation in the Chilli version has started more slowly than the chocolate one.

Your yeast obviously doesn't like chilli:D

Thought I'd bump this, as we bottled both stouts at the weekend.
    joctcl wrote: »
    Your yeast obviously doesn't like chilli:D

Heh, a few days later, this is what we had

577548_10151365873763873_1949326613_n.jpg

:eek: Looks like Alien Worms!!

It settled down, and after three weeks in the bucket we bottled it.

Had a taste of both the stouts, and there is certainly a nice background of heat in the Chilli Stout, nothing overly pronounced or kicking you in the face like some Texan Cook-Off, but it's there and you know there's Chilli in it - so far I think it seems to be working out ok.

The Chocolate one was quite dry, and again, the chocolateyness was in the background and afertaste more so than up front. We added some chocolate essence to the bottles, which might alleviate some of the dryness.

Ended up with about 20 pint bottles of each one to be left for a couple of months before opening.

Thanks to those who gave ideas and helped with questions in this thread, I think the lads were happy with the experiment, I know I was.

• Advertisement
Advertisement