Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetsuits

Options
  • 06-03-2013 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Any wetsuit recommendations? Looking to buy a new one soon and don't know what to get. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 enzeder

Go to a shop that does fitting and try a few on. Different brands will be slightly different shapes so you may not suit the shape of a particular brand (more of a problem for women than men). When fitting, try swinging your arms and see how constricted they feel in comparison to one another. The shop staff should be able to help a lot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tball1

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Base2Race do fitting and will let you try out the suit in their endless pool. Good service, they'll show you how to get the suit on and off easily and without damage, suits are a little pricey though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

StaggerLee wrote: »
    Base2Race do fitting and will let you try out the suit in their endless pool. Good service, they'll show you how to get the suit on and off easily and without damage, suits are a little pricey though

I amn't commenting on the price of suits in Base2Race. I do not know enough to comment on price, however when you buy a suit from wiggle you get the suit. nothing else. When you buy one from Eanna you get the suit PLUS the advice. Personally I'd pay a premimum for that. And intend to on my next suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I know Eanna & the guys in the swim school, I've no affiliation to their wetsuit / swimschool side of the business.

There is no premium added for the advice and fitting. Their prices are the same as anywhere else for the same product.

Their products are generally a premium range of product and will be more expensive than cheap entry level suits, but they do try to match the wetsui to the swimmer's abilities.

Watch out for wetsuit tri out sessions through your triclubs too. Some brands will do this coming into the season, usually organised in a pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Quick tip

When pulling on your wetsuit stick a plastic carrier bag, tesco or the like over your foot.
    Wetsuit slides on really easily

R

I know Eanna & the guys in the swim school, I've no affiliation to their wetsuit / swimschool side of the business.

There is no premium added for the advice and fitting. Their prices are the same as anywhere else for the same product.

Their products are generally a premium range of product and will be more expensive than cheap entry level suits, but they do try to match the wetsui to the swimmer's abilities.

Watch out for wetsuit tri out sessions through your triclubs too. Some brands will do this coming into the season, usually organised in a pool.

Apologies, to clarifu I wasn't saying that they are more expensive. Just that expertise is worth paying for! If you get it for free then all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

To clarify also, the suits are the same price as anywhere else, however, they stock mid to high end suits. That is, you wont get a cheap entry level one for €100.

Good service, great tips, as the wetsuit is a major piece of safety equipment, I think its a good idea to get a decent one, with a good fit. I'd recommend them for that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

StaggerLee wrote: »
    To clarify also, the suits are the same price as anywhere else, however, they stock mid to high end suits. That is, you wont get a cheap entry level one for €100.

Good service, great tips, as the wetsuit is a major piece of safety equipment, I think its a good idea to get a decent one, with a good fit. I'd recommend them for that alone.

Anyone know if Base2Race sell HUUB wetsuits?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kim2877

I know they tested HUUB but are not selling them !
    They are selling TYR, sailfish and ZeroD.
    Zerod are arriving in the end of March . Check out the pictures on facebook !!!

• Advertisement

kim2877 wrote: »
    I know they tested HUUB but are not selling them !
    They are selling TYR, sailfish and ZeroD.
    Zerod are arriving in the end of March . Check out the pictures on facebook !!!

Interesting first post.

Assuming you work for B2R?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kim2877

I just might - Mr T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Cyclesuperstore have a 50% off sale on wetsuits 21-24th March, in-store only.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Cyclesuperstore have a 50% off sale on wetsuits 21-24th March, in-store only.

Emmm do we like Zoot suits?

kim2877 wrote: »
    I just might - Mr T

Interesting that ZeroD are the official wetsuit of the BTA. Yet Brownlees in HUUB #JustSaying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

tunney wrote: »
    Emmm do we like Zoot suits?

I've no idea. But I'd say within the set of all things "we" there exists some who would be interested in this sale. Or, interested in hearing why Zoot suits may not be to our liking, so if you can inform, please do.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

i was interested, will need a first wetsuit, would prefer zoot to lidl ! but its shaggin instore only... so 50% saving but money spent on petrol , grub and other crap..

woody1 wrote: »
    i was interested, will need a first wetsuit, would prefer zoot to lidl ! but its shaggin instore only... so 50% saving but money spent on petrol , grub and other crap..

Better to spend a few bob on getting the right size. Like Mastercard would say getting the correct advice on selection and fitting is priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

Better to spend a few bob on getting the right size. Like Mastercard would say getting the correct advice on selection and fitting is priceless.

I am very confused about fit.
    I seem to be able to easily see on a size chart what size suit I should buy.
    given that most shops have 2 or 3 brands available, how much variation in size is there?

Are the more expensive suits better fitting because of the panels or stretchiness of the material? if that is the logic, if I find a discounted high end suit in my size is it more likely to fit better?
    I dont see many alternatives/options when I look at size charts of different manufacturers.
    im 191cm and 93.5kg btw and totally new to this sport so excuse my ignorance

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    I am very confused about fit.
    I seem to be able to easily see on a size chart what size suit I should buy.
    given that most shops have 2 or 3 brands available, how much variation in size is there?

Are the more expensive suits better fitting because of the panels or stretchiness of the material? if that is the logic, if I find a discounted high end suit in my size is it more likely to fit better?
    I dont see many alternatives/options when I look at size charts of different manufacturers.
    im 191cm and 93.5kg btw and totally new to this sport so excuse my ignorance

Lots of good questions.

Size charts are a guide to choose from based on your height and weight. Whatever about height most people are underestimating their weight and blame the suits for being 'small fitting' :)

A wetsuit should be snug fitting to the exclusion of water which causes drag when swimming.

Better quality or higher end suits will have more flexibility due to increased variations in panels and numbers of panels which allows better form fitting.

Based on your height and weight you will be a Large / Tall or equivalent in most suits. The fit will depend on thickness of chest, legs, rotundness of belly etc with the more flexible suits being more forgiving and accomodating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

akw .. i dont disagree with you, more annoyed with meself that i dont have any other reason to go to dublin to check it out..:) looking at prices elsewhere it looks like a good deal, if the right size was there in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cian287

tunney wrote: »
    Interesting that ZeroD are the official wetsuit of the BTA. Yet Brownlees in HUUB #JustSaying
    £16,000 each I hear - that great motivation.

cian287 wrote: »

To be fair the same can be said of any pros in sponsored gear. Their commodity is themselves and if you can sell your body for advertisement space why wouldn't you?

At the same time they won't jeopardise their earning potential by wearing or using gear that might cause them to slip off the top spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tunney viewpost.gif

what point are you trying to make here ?

different companies have different marketing strategies and budgets.
    huub most likely has a very strong financial investment by an rich investor .
    Zero D most likely has not as much money and needs to do deals where their have less upfront costs and share profits with BTA.

if somebody realy needs flexible shoulder zero D certainly an option that should be on ones shortlist for a wetsuit.
    for a fishtailer huub could be good.

still at the end its 80% marketing and you have to try in a pool what suits you best.

cian287 wrote: »

Very right - Always question who is the financial motivation behind recommendations and endorsements.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Hi Guys,

I'm doing my first triathlon in Westport this June and need to get myself a wet suit. I was quite surprised at how expensive they are. Anyone know where I might pick one up for €100 or less?

Nappy, you won't get a new triathlon wetsuit worth keeping for under €100. You may be able to pick up something second hand or better yet I would suggest trying to hire or borrow one from a friend.

The problem is having access to a suit for training which is an important part of being ready for open water racing, you need to acclimatise to the colder water conditions and be used to the buoyancy of a tri wetsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Yea, I might try and get one second hand. I want to do a few sprint triathlons before I go for the olympic course. I'll invest in a good one at that stage. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Nappy wrote: »
    Yea, I might try and get one second hand. I want to do a few sprint triathlons before I go for the olympic course. I'll invest in a good one at that stage. Thanks

My first one was a portwest one. Think I got on sale for €60/70 ish??? Few years back. Got a 3mm one. It did the trick for awhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doozer16

Nappy wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm doing my first triathlon in Westport this June and need to get myself a wet suit. I was quite surprised at how expensive they are. Anyone know where I might pick one up for €100 or less?

There's a Speedo one about at the moment for about 120. Try The Edge Cork, they defo have it, could be on wiggle too. That's your best bet I'd say , I've been on the lookout a while.
    Its defo the cheapest new but they have an ORCA one for a few euro more that looks better.

Advertisement