Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Please HELP!

• 06-03-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I always wondered how can some people get 700 points in their leaving Cert. What kind of things do they do to get these points?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Honestly if you can take extra subjects and do extremely well in them too you are most likely just naturally smart ,i mean i am not taking away from the work they put in ,they must be studying constantly but i just mean i don't think everyone has the capacity to get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ekstar

Not really what I was asking but thanks.

I was actually wondering what type of extra subjects can you keep on

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Ekstar wrote: »
    Not really what I was asking but thanks.

I was actually wondering what type of extra subjects can you keep on

Any. I know people who did 9/10 subjects for leaving with extra subjects such as music, physics, ag science, history, etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

700? Nobody get's 700 points in their Leaving Cert, maximum is 625. But it could be CAO points + HPATs.

HPAT(Health Professionals Admission Test) is a test people have to do to get into course like medicine. HPAT adds 1 point for every 5 points you got over 550 in the Leaving Cert and then adds your HPAT points.

For example if you got 580 points through LC:

550 + 30/5 = 550 + 6 So your adjusted points is now 556 and then they add your HPAT points say 180 and now you have 736 points but they're not CAO points, they use it for medical courses.

I hope you were referring to that. Otherwise it's impossible, 100 points in 6 subjects will only get you 600 points and add on 25 for Maths, that's 625 max. You can do 20 subjects if you want they'll still only take your best 6.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    700? Nobody get's 700 points in their Leaving Cert, maximum is 625. But it could be CAO points + HPATs.

HPAT(Health Professionals Admission Test) is a test people have to do to get into course like medicine. HPAT adds 1 point for every 5 points you got over 550 in the Leaving Cert and then adds your HPAT points.

550 + 30/5 = 550 + 6 So your adjusted points is now 556 and then they add your HPAT points say 180 and now you have 736 points but they're not CAO points, they use it for medical courses.

I hope you were referring to that. Otherwise it's impossible, 100 points in 6 subjects will only get you 600 points and add on 25 for Maths, that's 625 max. You can do 20 subjects if you want they'll still only take your best 6.

I took the OP as just meaning that people do extra subjects. I know that I've heard of people getting 8 A1s bring referred to as getting 800 points before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

It's similar with art colleges, entry requirements can be like, 750 points but it's a combination of CAO points and Portfolio points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

I always wondered how can some people get 700 points in their leaving Cert. What kind of things do they do to get these points?

Answer their paper in Irish, you get 15% extra for this. Pass HL Maths, you get 25 bonus points.

Lets say John Smith from Conemara did 6 HL Subjects, including Maths, through Irish, and got A1 in he lot.

6x100 points = 600 points
    Bonus pointí do Chaeilge = 90
    Bonus for HL Maths = 25

715 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Don't the bonus points only come into effect if you get less than 75% in an exam? Above 75% gives a reduction of bonus points. I mean, an A1 doesn't get you bonus points at all if written through Irish. xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Compu Global Hyper Meganet

In all honesty, it helps if you have natural advantages over other students. For example, if you have a French mother and a German father and are raised in the Gaeltacht (quite unlikely, I admit!), then thats probably 3 comfortable A1's right there without having to work very hard.

That's an extreme example, but the point is to exploit your natural acumen in anything ruthlessly. For example, if you're good at maths and weak at everything else, try doing other maths based subjects (such as applied maths) even externally. With the leaving cert, it is advisable to focus on your strengths rather than trying to get a "rounded" education.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Answer their paper in Irish, you get 15% extra for this. Pass HL Maths, you get 25 bonus points.

Lets say John Smith from Conemara did 6 HL Subjects, including Maths, through Irish, and got A1 in he lot.

6x100 points = 600 points
    Bonus pointí do Chaeilge = 90
    Bonus for HL Maths = 25

715 points.

CAO points max is 625. The bonus points for Irish is only for students who get less than a B or something. So basically 6 A1s in whatever language = 600 points + 25 bonus = MAX 625 points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You can get a max of 600 points in the LC with 6A1s at Higher Level and 625 if you do Higher Level Maths and get an A1.

Where you see 700 points etc, is where entry to a course requires the HPAT, a portfolio or performance (typically art, music, drama) or interview and the CAO score is the result of LC points and marks awarded for the extra component.

Those students who apply for regular courses and say an art course would have two different points scores, one including their portfolio for the art course and one for all the other CAO courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 maedhbh_mac

You don't get bonus points for doing the exams through Irish - it's just extra marks per test and you can't get over 100% of the marks because it's on a sliding scale i.e. say you get 400 out of 400 marks on a paper, there are no bonus marks awarded.

You can get a maximum of 625 points - even if you take additional subjects, they don't translate to CAO points because the CAO only count your 6 best subjects. So yes, you can get 625 and get A1's in as many other subjects as you want - but it's still 625 points.
    The maximum cumulative LC points total will increase from 600 to 625
    http://www2.cao.ie/otherinfo/calc_points.pdf

Advertisement