Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goat

Options
  • 06-03-2013 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

I have a nice bit of kid goat in the freezer (think its from the leg). Anyone got any recipies to suggest? My friend put it in a slowcooker with white wine, veg etc and it was delish.

Its a lovely meat, very tender from the slow cooker too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

If you have any favourite lamb dishes you will find that kid works very well as an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I'd usually go for curry, slow cooked for about 12 hours. The Jamaican allspice based recipes would be my favourite, but it can be a bit hot for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

This is the best goat recipe I have made myself. the recipe is based on 500g of goat leg so if you have more or less then just adjust the other quantities accordingly... or to taste. It is a "dry" curry so the finished product has little or no juice, just dried taste goo all over your tender meat.

Prep:

1) Cube the meat, discarding sinew or knuckle but keeping the fat.
    2) Mortar+Pestle or blend... either way making a paste.... the following things: 2 finely chopped lemongrass stalks, 1 onion, 4-6 garlic cloves, large dried chilli, 2g cumin, 20g coriander (ground), 3cm of ginger.

Cook:

1) Fry the paste above in 40ml peanut oil until the oil seperates or at least it is well heated through.
    2) Add the goat at high heat for a few minutes... turning as required.... just until it is colored a bit all over.
    3) Add 100g coconut cream and 10g sugar and 5-8 kaffir lime leaves. Stir to cover and coat the meet.
    4) Cover and turn down to a gentle simmer and cook until tender. 1.5-2 Hours is usual with all the lovely smells filling your house and making you and everyone very very hungry as a result.
    5) Take the lid off near the end to reduce until there is hardly any juice left if any.

6) Optional (I do it but only with 10g as I do not like it THAT much): Dry fry 40g desiccated coconut until brownish. Remove and pound finely in a mortar and pestle. Add to the meat and stir just before serving.

Eat:

Serve with whatever roti or asian breads you like with this kind of thing. I find some lightly fried but still crunchy sticks of red and yellow pepper served with it adds color and depth to the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

This is the best goat recipe I have made myself. the recipe is based on 500g of goat leg so if you have more or less then just adjust the other quantities accordingly... or to taste. It is a "dry" curry so the finished product has little or no juice, just dried taste goo all over your tender meat.

Looks like an excellent recipe, and as mentioned before, substituting lamb for goat would work well.

Thanks for sharing the recipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

What does goat taste like & where would you buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It tastes a lot like lamb - a bit more delicate maybe. I don't know where you'd get it easily back home. It is lovely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Was in Kenya Tanzania and Zanzibar a few years back backpacking and all we ate was goat/chicken/fish, goat barbecued curried over and over again....mmmmm, 'twas an experience!!!

Advertisement