Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Irish music musicians for band

Options
  • 06-03-2013 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello,

I am a singer/songwriter/guitar player who writes and sings Irish ballads.
    I am looking for musicians who play Irish instruments to form a group to practice and eventually start gigging.
    I mainly personally am interested in playing Irish ballads and some songs As Gaeilge also. I want to start by practicing and having a craic but definitely with the intention of getting gigs in Dublin and hopefully all round Ireland in pubs and so on.

I am mainly interested firstly in establishing a good sound together and learning a good number of songs together and then working on some original material to compliment the sets.
    Bodhren , uileann pipes, mandolin, guitar, whistle, guitar, or any other Irish instruments or folk based instruments would be more than welcome.

Hope to hear from you soon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 toninoroseno

Hello,

I am looking for musicians who play Irish instruments to form a group to practice and eventually start gigging.
    I mainly personally am interested in playing Irish ballads and some songs As Gaeilge also. I want to start by practicing and having a craic but definitely with the intention of getting gigs in Dublin and hopefully all round Ireland in pubs and so on.

I am mainly interested firstly in establishing a good sound together and learning a good number of songs together and then working on some original material to compliment the sets.
    Bodhren , uileann pipes, mandolin, guitar, whistle, guitar, or any other Irish instruments or folk based instruments would be more than welcome.

Hi there,

I can play a good deal of guitar, reanimate my banjo or mandoline and certainly learn a few tunes on the whistle. Bodhran is fine too. just drop a note and where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Arfx

Hi,

im a girl thats looking for a band. I can play Banjo, Ukelele, whistle and take a stab at most instruments. I just finished an Irish music course in UL. Pm me if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 paveedelaney

Hey there Buddy,

I am afraid I am based in Dublin City! Its a fair way from Cork- It sounds great though what you play- I am similar in that I can play the whistle too..

If you are still interested in knowing I am in Dublin let me know

Jack

Hey there Buddy,

I am afraid I am based in Dublin City! Its a fair way from Cork- It sounds great though what you play- I am similar in that I can play the whistle too..

If you are still interested in knowing I am in Dublin let me know

Jack
    well, I used to commute between Amsterdam and Berlin for the Band, so I guess Cork - Dublin cannot be the challenge. Its a matter how to organize it. If you have the tunes somewhere as wav file, just send them for practize and the idea of arrangement you have in mind, either in sheets or verbally over the phone. Practise I can do alone and then a few rehearsals before gig, that will do. Currently I am playing the guitar with a trad band in carriogaline, full set and I had never heard one of their tunes before.

Cool- Well I just posted a tune up so people can hear my voice..

Have a listen and tell me if you are interested in this kind of style- I also do faster songs but this one is a sort of slow ballad.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmGrI1aEv90

• Advertisement

Cool- Well I just posted a tune up so people can hear my voice..

Have a listen and tell me if you are interested in this kind of style- I also do faster songs but this one is a sort of slow ballad.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmGrI1aEv90

hmm, gives an idea. I suggest to rework the apprggio a little bit, the chords sound a bit vanilla, which is fine for conservative trad, but the audience is from 2013, so a little pepper wouldn't harm. If I am right it is measured in 6/8. Would make it a good material to underline it with an Argentinian groove (Milonga/Chacarera). Otherwise I could do some nice sliding fretless bass overlayers

Yeah thats just a sample of one style which I like. I have found such a style can be nice if overlayed with other instruments to create a warm sound.
    I just recorded it to get feelers out so people can hear a bit of what I like

Yeah thats just a sample of one style which I like. I have found such a style can be nice if overlayed with other instruments to create a warm sound.

Can you please make a set list attached with the tune recorded and sang by you, so I can work my way thru. Please indicate the key you play in the setlist and if you record, please record with a tuning of 442 or 444 htz = a. Please indicate also the speed you play it, ideally you record it with a click or a drum machine. You can send me the audiofiles in either mac or pc format - NO MP3 please

Can you please make a set list attached with the tune recorded and sang by you, so I can work my way thru. Please indicate the key you play in the setlist and if you record, please record with a tuning of 442 or 444 htz = a. Please indicate also the speed you play it, ideally you record it with a click or a drum machine. You can send me the audiofiles in either mac or pc format - NO MP3 please

Hey there,

What I am trying to do first is when I have a few people together we can go through what songs should be part of a set

• Advertisement

Hey there,

What I am trying to do first is when I have a few people together we can go through what songs should be part of a set

Fair enough, but usually it is easier to recruit, the more you have prepared already. Since I assume that you will have the lead in this, I can only suggest to work on the setlist already, as you as the front man will be the one selling the show. All others are supportive elements and from a commercial point of view I recommend of making all other music elements and musicians easy replaceable. Most musicians have more than one commitment and fixing the project onto one set of musicians will cost a lot of time and money. In addition - usually bands with a democratic contribution of each band member will lead earlier or later to conflict. We are all individualists, and if we are given the opportunity, all musicians tempt to show off, that they are the best. That makes a show setup even more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Acushla

Hello,

I mainly personally am interested in playing Irish ballads and some songs As Gaeilge also. I want to start by practicing and having a craic but definitely with the intention of getting gigs in Dublin and hopefully all roundare Ireland in pubs and so on.

Are you on facebook join our band page Acushla ballads of ireland regards alan

Advertisement