Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about History Marking?

Options
  • 06-03-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi, I have a question about some of the marking in the Junior Cert for history. In our mock exam a question came up, which was
    "What contribution was made to the Industrial Revolution by one of the following:
    James Hargreaves; George Stephenson; John MacAdam"
    For this question in my mock, I picked John Macadam and answered with "He improved the roads". I received 1 mark out of 2 for this answer.

This exact same question came up in the History JC paper in 2010. Looking at the marking scheme for this, here (On page 7, question xiii), all it says for 2 marks is "improved roads". Based on the marking scheme, my answer would receive 2 marks, no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Well that's a super simplistic version of what he did, like geography make sure you develop fully to secure 2 marks. 1 marks probably won't change your percentage anyways :D

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

Well that's a super simplistic version of what he did, like geography make sure you develop fully to secure 2 marks. 1 marks probably won't change your percentage anyways :D

Every mark is vital and really I'm just wondering if you need detail beyond what the marking scheme says.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The mock exams are nothing to do with the SEC. If your answer would have got you two marks according to their scheme, it will get you two marks in their paper.

The mocks do whatever they want as they are a business enterprise, not an examinations board. It's part of the reason I put very little meas on them at all.

'He improved the roads' is certainly an adequate SRS for JC level.

spurious wrote: »
    The mock exams are nothing to do with the SEC. If your answer would have got you two marks according to their scheme, it will get you two marks in their paper.

The mocks do whatever they want as they are a business enterprise, not an examinations board. It's part of the reason I put very little meas on them at all.

'He improved the roads' is certainly an adequate SRS for JC level.

Thank you very much for your reply, yes I really do find it strange that this is only what I received for that question. Actually, a week before the exam I had done the 2010 Short-answer questions and had marked them according to this scheme. While doing the mock, I actually remembered this marking scheme for this question and answered with what I remembered was on the scheme. I was very puzzled once I looked through the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭marko747

Yeah i think you should have got the 2 marks although i would also go the extra bit to guarantee the marks.
    I think rather that say "he improved the roads" you need to develop it further. if i was you i would have wrote;
    "He improved the roads through a new technique called macadamisation. This made the roads more smooth and durable"
    And did this question on your mock come up in the short questions or section 5 or 6?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The extra bit would get you another SRS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

You should of wrote "He improved the roads by inventing Tar Mac which improved resistance against weather."

marko747 wrote: »
    Yeah i think you should have got the 2 marks although i would also go the extra bit to guarantee the marks.
    I think rather that say "he improved the roads" you need to develop it further. if i was you i would have wrote;
    "He improved the roads through a new technique called macadamisation. This made the roads more smooth and durable"
    And did this question on your mock come up in the short questions or section 5 or 6?

But if all I knew was that he improved the roads, then how can I develop the points further? I wrote as much as I knew and the marking scheme says it's fine, but it was deemed to be insufficient. This was a short answer question, by the way.

You will get the full SRS for 'he improved the roads'. I corrected for years, believe me, 'roads' would more than likely get the SRS too.

Nothing more annoying than correcting a half page answer on MacAdam and the structure of his roads when 'he made the roads better' would have got the full marks.

It's the JC, you will only do badly if you leave out questions, it's designed for you to do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

Did you use "Tarmacadam" in your answer at all, if so that counts for 0 marks. You should have got the 2 if you mentioned he improved roads, as I've looked up the marking scheame many times for that particular question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Hi, wondering if anyone can help me here:
    For history I'm looking over the Reformation and it goes into great detail with both Martin Luther and John Calvin.
    Is it ok if I just learn about 1 (Luther) or should I learn both?
    No point asking my teacher if you know what I mean ;)
    Thanks

I would concentrate on Luther, but be able to do an answer, even a short one, on Calvin, just in case.

Advertisement