Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horror games!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

deathrider wrote: »
    I might give the first one a spin then. Is it out on Xbox360?

Looks like there is, but i am not sure how easy its going to be to get it. I played it on PC m8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Looks like there is, but i am not sure how easy its going to be to get it. I played it on PC m8.

Not to worry. I like a good hunt for a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Its a good choice, it made me jump in a few places. And you will love the first time you nail someone to a wall with the Bolt gun.

Its on Amazon, but i wouldnt pay that price for it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sierra-UK-F-E-A-R-Xbox-360/dp/B000FN7K5A/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1362856777&sr=1-1

Almost tempted to dust it off and have another bash myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭grumpig

I LOVED FEAR1 and i could not even push myself to finish 10% of FEAR2. Such a shame after a briliant FEAR1. :( You should get that. I remember AI was damn fantastic in it too.

I seen that game it was sold pretty cheap but it didnt look scary XD is it only jump scares or...???

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭grumpig

penev10 wrote: »
    Dark Souls is the best survival horror this generation. Well it's the only game that comes close to being a survival horror.

Has that game been out on the ps3 for awhile? it seems pretty good. Looks like skyrim :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

grumpig wrote: »
    Has that game been out on the ps3 for awhile? it seems pretty good. Looks like skyrim :rolleyes:

Haven't played skyrim :rolleyes:(:confused:), but the two game are completely different.

Dark Souls is one of the best games ever made, imo.

Highly recommend both Souls games - neither of which are horror games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Skyrim is brilliant in it's own way. It's no horror game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Totally agree Dead Space 1 dark room/headset turned up.
    It's nowhere near scary on subsequent playthroughs and you know what to expect in DS2 but that first playthrough is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Manhunt is awesome. The Thing was killer too.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Dead Space.
    Doom III BFG Edition.
    F.E.A.R.
    Silent Hill 2.

Can't think of anything else on PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Funny thing about this one. I love my horror survival games, but i found this one boring as **** and not scary at all :(

were you playing it alone in the dark with headphones on? GET TO IT. So good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

FEAR isn't scary at all. Stupid scares that you start to ignore after not too long. Condemned : Criminal Origins is where it's at for a scary game (also made by the same company + same game engine)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

If it's pure horror then Amnesia, the Dark Descent.

If it's more survival horror, then Dark Souls might be a good bet, not exactly scary, but dark brooding themes, and you will fight to survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Its a good choice, it made me jump in a few places. And you will love the first time you nail someone to a wall with the Bolt gun.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sierra-UK-F-E-A-R-Xbox-360/dp/B000FN7K5A/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1362856777&sr=1-1

Thanking you kindaly, good sir :)
    Azza wrote: »
    Dead Space.
    Doom III BFG Edition.
    F.E.A.R.
    Silent Hill 2.

Can't think of anything else on PS3.

Just finished Doom 3: BFG myself lately. The first two Dooms on it are much more atmospheric than the third installment, I reckon.

were you playing it alone in the dark with headphones on? GET TO IT. So good.

Alone, in the dark, all doors closed. 5.1 Speaker setup. Tried twice so far... both times just got bored and stoped playing. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

No love for Resident evil ? lol

I know they have turned into adventure/shooting games now but i remember when i was younger the early ones giving off a really weird and freaky vibe.

That fecking dog jumping threw the window in the first one was always a bitch !!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Skyrim is brilliant in it's own way. It's no horror game though.

I dunno the voice acting is pretty ****ing horrendous

deathrider wrote:
    Just finished Doom 3: BFG myself lately. The first two Dooms on it are much more atmospheric than the third installment, I reckon.

The first 2 Dooms have no atmosphere to me.

Doom III did at least when it was relased. It was another game that benefitted from turning off the lights and putting on a headset. Like other games of its type the scares tend to wear thin after a while.
    FEAR isn't scary at all. Stupid scares that you start to ignore after not too long. Condemned : Criminal Origins is where it's at for a scary game (also made by the same company + same game engine)

Except the game isn't on PS3.
    Alone, in the dark, all doors closed. 5.1 Speaker setup. Tried twice so far... both times just got bored and stoped playing.

I'm pretty sure I could make one of these internet giff memes about your dislike about the direction Dead Space and Resident Evil have taken yet you find Amnesia boring.

However your post did remind me of the Alone in the Dark Series. I know the last Alone in the Dark got panned but apparantly the PS3 version was quite abit better than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Alone in the dark the new nightmare was a freaky one IIRC terribly gunplay though with sh!t enemies but the game was freaky in parts

Silent Hill 1-4 are packed with creepy moments
    Resident Evil Remake is eerie and still looks amazing today shame it has not been ported over to PS3/XBOX360 its probley the only RE thats genuinely horror filled
    Dead Space 1
    Amnesia (PC only iv heard is supposed to be really scary)

these are all games that have to be played at night COMPLETELY ALONE!! sound cranked up or with headphones otherwise it will be a laugh you need to settle into the right environment with these "scary" games playing in the day with a mate cracking jokes is obviously gonna remove any scare factor that any game provides

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hitch11

Condemned was a great game when it came out, pretty damn scary. Not sure if its out on ps3 but i know condemned 2 is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Really? Didn't realise it wasn't on the PS3 - knew it was on the 360 so just assumed :)

The first 2 Dooms have no atmosphere to me.

Doom III did at least when it was relased. It was another game that benefitted from turning off the lights and putting on a headset. Like other games of its type the scares tend to wear thin after a while.

Except the game isn't on PS3.

I'm pretty sure I could make one of these internet giff memes about your dislike about the direction Dead Space and Resident Evil have taken yet you find Amnesia boring.

However your post did remind me of the Alone in the Dark Series. I know the last Alone in the Dark got panned but apparantly the PS3 version was quite abit better than the others.

Emmmmm Did i said it was a bad game? I just said it did not hit me and it is a shame. I still know it is a good game and it gives good scares to a lot of people. So your point is?

And yes, Dead space and Resident evil went to ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭Liamalone

+1 for Condemned, only game that has given me the willies, numerous times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

£3 doesn't seem too steep to me ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000FN7K5A/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Emmmmm Did i said it was a bad game? I just said it did not hit me and it is a shame. I still know it is a good game and it gives good scares to a lot of people. So your point is?

Emmmmm Did I say you said it was a bad game, (and if you did I don't have a problem with that, everyone is entitled to an opinion). I just find it funny that you keep bringing up how poor Dead Space and Resident Evil are for moving away from horror and yet you find boring the game that's frequently cited as the most scary game in years and a game that's also been praised for not relying on cheap jump scares but on more on atmosphere and psychological horror. It strikes me that developers have an incredible fine line to walk to satisfy some gamers. Too much horror is boring, not enough horror is ****.
    And yes, Dead space and Resident evil went to ****.
    You have of course played Resident Evil 6 and Resident Evil Revelations as well as Dead Space 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Well I don't know anything about Revelations or Dead Space 3, but Resident Evil 6 is some of the worst gaming I've had in years, horror or not.

Emmmmm Did I say you said it was a bad game, (and if you did I don't have a problem with that, everyone is entitled to an opinion). I just find it funny that you keep bringing up how poor Dead Space and Resident Evil are for moving away from horror and yet you find boring the game that's frequently cited as the most scary game in years and a game that's also been praised for not relying on cheap jump scares but on more on atmosphere and psychological horror. It strikes me that developers have an incredible fine line to walk to satisfy some gamers. Too much horror is boring, not enough horror is ****.

You have of course played Resident Evil 6 and Resident Evil Revelations as well as well as Dead Space 3?

Thats the problem for me, there was no horror ( for me ), you said it yourself, we entiteled to our opinion, so why can we be different in the way we see horror? I knew i dont have a weapon and I dont need defend myself, so most of the stuff is just scripted "boo, run away you little lamb". I still admire what they did, its just my brain already filters the game mechanic out. I would kill to to be able enjoy that game the way it is supposed to be enjoyed. I know something Like Sillent Hill on wii had nailed perfectly that mechanic the way it should be. In fact i need to get that game and play it myself ( not a youtube stream ), but i wont be buying again Wii just for it.

I did not played RE6 and I will only buy it on Steam sale for a fiver. I do own revalation and yes, i admit, that damn thing is fantastic. You got me there, i forgot about that gem. It is a shame that they decided to make a good RE game like this on handheld, though they do rereleasing it on Consoles, so all good.

*I did watched people play DS3 from beginning on youtube and holy ****, that is not a horror survival game. I am still going to get that game, because i am a total sucker for dead space lore, but only on sale.

Thats the problem for me, there was no horror ( for me ), you said it yourself, we entiteled to our opinion, so why can we be different in the way we see horror? I knew i dont have a weapon and I dont need defend myself, so most of the stuff is just scripted "boo, run away you little lamb". I still admire what they did, its just my brain already filters the game mechanic out. I would kill to to be able enjoy that game the way it is supposed to be enjoyed.

But aren't all horror games scripted. The little girl in F.E.A.R appears at scripted moments. The necromorphs in Dead Space appear at their scripted moments. The lights flicker in Doom 3 when the script tells it to it. Always the same. All these games you eventually become immune to their jump scares. Its a very difficult feat in my opinion to keep the horror element going the whole way through a game.
    *I did watched people play DS3 from beginning on youtube and holy ****, that is not a horror survival game. I am still going to get that game, because i am a total sucker for dead space lore, but only on sale.

It may be no longer survival horror but that doesn't automatically make the game ****

• Advertisement

But aren't all horror games scripted. The little girl in F.E.A.R appears at scripted moments. The necromorphs in Dead Space appear at their scripted moments. The lights flicker in Doom 3 when the script tells it to it. Always the same. All these games you eventually become immune to their jump scares. Its a very difficult feat in my opinion to keep the horror element going the whole way through a game.

It may be no longer survival horror but that doesn't automatically make the game ****

You missed the point. Sorry i just could not be arsed going deeper in to this rabbit hole.

Advertisement