Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horror games!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Ive been banging on about this mod to anyone who will listen, but BLACK SNOW for HL2 is a fantastic horror game. Its a first person puzzle game set in an abandoned arctic research base. Its very Amnesia-esque, and is sort of like a first person point and click adventure. Lots of picking up one item in order to use it on another, and running from an almsot invisible enemy you cant fight. The ending sucks colossal amounts of cock but its free, and great.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/black-snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Ive been banging on about this mod to anyone who will listen, but BLACK SNOW for HL2 is a fantastic horror game. Its a first person puzzle game set in an abandoned arctic research base. Its very Amnesia-esque, and is sort of like a first person point and click adventure. Lots of picking up one item in order to use it on another, and running from an almsot invisible enemy you cant fight. The ending sucks colossal amounts of cock but its free, and great.

So many great horror mods for the half life games.

They hunger, heart of evil, paranoia, afraid of monsters, call of fear - those. are just off the top of my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I agree on manhunt. I did liked that game for its stealth, but it was not a horror game.

There is one more game. It's not full out horror game, but it is creepy ( in a good way ) and can be very ****ed up in a head. Alice: madness returns.
    I loved that game. Like I said it is not full out horror game, but the surroundings and characters make it very good horror/ish creepy experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Have a play of this, its different than a lot of horror games out now.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/paranormal

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭grumpig

Played condemned 2 I didn't like it really through the game it was kinda all the same melee weapons and rarely got to use guns and it was not scary...didn't feel like a horror....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

The Thing mightnt be "scary", i wouldnt consider any horror game scary really, but its subjective. If Dead space can be considered survival horror, then the thing certainly can too. I enjoyed the game alot, had its flaws, but good none the less.

I think manhunt was freaky at times, hiding in the shadows waiting for a patrolling hired killer to pass by, with them freaky clown masks on ^^ idk, its no less survival horror then the stuff thats being passed off as it this gen, some levels were more stealth alrite, but other were creepy levels and mood/atmosphere was great in them.

Tinie wrote: »
    Have a play of this, its different than a lot of horror games out now.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/paranormal

haha I seen a Pewdiepie playing it looked pretty good. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Are there really so few console horrors released that we have to go back to Condemned and FEAR for a decent scare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I enjoyed Alan Wake and to a lesser degree American Nightmare and there were some very creepy moments in both. The storyline was very Stephen King-esqe and sure isnt he the master of horror!

Played a bit of shadows of the damned recently and it is set in hell although its not the scariest i've played.

Sarky wrote: »
    Are there really so few console horrors released that we have to go back to Condemned and FEAR for a decent scare?

short answer: Yes.

Long answer:
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Hilarious way to end a post :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Sarky wrote: »

Im guessing its not really a lucrative, profitable genre anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Remember playing some Alien game years ago on the PC. You had a little monitor that beeped when the aliens got close. It totally freaked me out. Couldn't play it
    beep beep........beep beep...beep beep:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Was it an FPS? Probably Alien Trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

o1s1n wrote: »
    Was it an FPS? Probably Alien Trilogy.

Yeah. I remember Alien Triology (I think from the PS) this was a far more horrifying experience. It's just the sense of "their out there watching me!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I agree on manhunt. I did liked that game for its stealth, but it was not a horror game.

Nope, not horror, but Manhunt was still terrifying, if you ask me. Very few games gave me the shivers in the way Manhunt did. I think the fact that it was overly violent may have been a big part of this. It wasn't like most games where if you were spotted you'd lose a life. In this it felt like you'd actually be murdered. These guys would rip you to shreds, and they'd do it for fun which made it even more disturbing.

By the way, has anybody mentioned Corpse Party yet? And if not, why not?

Aye, what's the story with that corpse party? Wasn't that released on vita lately?
    It was top down jrpg type thing. Is that any good?

Aye, what's the story with that corpse party? Wasn't that released on vita lately?
    It was top down jrpg type thing. Is that any good?

Not sure if it's out on Vits, I played through it on PSP there round xmas. Yip, top down RPG with no attacks so you really feel helpless. It's based in a haunted school where you control pairs of tiny kids trying to find their way out. I thought it was absolutely incredible, and one of the most haunting games I've played in a long time. There were plenty of section in it where I simply didn't want to go any further, because of the brutal things that were happening to the cast. I wrote a review for it over on HSN, if it interests you.

deathrider wrote: »
    Not sure if it's out on Vits, I played through it on PSP there round xmas. Yip, top down RPG with no attacks so you really feel helpless. It's based in a haunted school where you control pairs of tiny kids trying to find their way out. I thought it was absolutely incredible, and one of the most haunting games I've played in a long time. There were plenty of section in it where I simply didn't want to go any further, because of the brutal things that were happening to the cast. I wrote a review for it over on HSN, if it interests you.

They have a manga for it as well i read it awhile ago :rolleyes: I would agree its quite creepy especially with the girl that had her ankle cut or something ;)

deathrider wrote: »

btw where did you get the game?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a physical copy, if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

For anyone who knows anything about the resident evil franchise, where would be a good jumping on point? A quick search of on amazon can go as far back as RE4 without being too pricey or too old for modern systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

For anyone who knows anything about the resident evil franchise, where would be a good jumping on point? A quick search of on amazon can go as far back as RE4 without being too pricey or too old for modern systems.

If you are on PS3, you can get the old Resi games on PSN. Highly recommend Resi 1, 2 & 4. 4 will be the easiest to play as it uses the newer sytle and 1 & 2 can look/play outdated but their atmosphere was never matched.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Remember playing some Alien game years ago on the PC. You had a little monitor that beeped when the aliens got close. It totally freaked me out. Couldn't play it
    beep beep........beep beep...beep beep:eek:

Reminds me of the 1999 Alien versus Predator's marine campaign.

Wandering dark halls, motion sensor pinging softly. Sudden loud furious beeping only indication of a wave of aliens waiting somewhere in the darkness...

I loved it. Sequel never did it for me quite the same way.

As to the people asking about the resident evil series, I've always liked Resi2. As a good example of all the things the early games got right and wrong. 1 is probably the better 'horror' game though, just a bit rougher around the edges (Although I imagine by now they're both massively outdated, it's been a while since I played either.)

And I think Zero was gamecube originally, but may be wrong on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

sheehy83 wrote: »
    1 & 2 can look/play outdated but their atmosphere was never matched.
    Sycopat wrote: »
    As to the people asking about the resident evil series, I've always liked Resi2. As a good example of all the things the early games got right and wrong. 1 is probably the better 'horror' game though, just a bit rougher around the edges (Although I imagine by now they're both massively outdated, it's been a while since I played either.)

And I think Zero was gamecube originally, but may be wrong on that.

<3 Resident Evil 2!

The atmosphere was matched, and bettered in the Gamecube remake. The style of which was copied for Resident Evil 0 (also Gamecube)

Both of those were released on the Wii as well, as Resident Evil Archives.
    134px-Resident-evil-archives-resident-evil-0.jpg

The Remake of the original was excellent, 0 was a bit meh...

Remake still looks great too in my opinion:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I'm playing through the walking dead. It's pretty good and some kind of scary parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I'm playing through the walking dead. It's pretty good and some kind of scary parts.

Which one though? The episodic "The Walking Dead" episodic game from Telltale games?
    Or is it "The Walking Dead: Survival Instict", the FPS game by Terminal Reality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Silent Hill 2 is still to this day the scariest game I've ever played. The atmosphere is so good, and it's the unnerving little things they do that gets you. I read somewhere that they worked with psychologists who had worked with murderers/serial killers to implement some really disturbing ****.
    Remember the scene with pyramid head raping the dead nurse/mannequin? You stumble across it and instantly have the fear because you've just disturbed something really dark.. wtf...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Which one though? The episodic "The Walking Dead" episodic game from Telltale games?
    Or is it "The Walking Dead: Survival Instict", the FPS game by Terminal Reality
    Episodic , is survival instinct good ? I might get it after bioshock infinite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Brilliant article on CVG

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/402367/best-horror-games-a-complete-history/

I remember playing Night Breed when I was 7 or 8. Never knew it was based on the film by my favourite author Clive Barker! Great trip down memory lane!

Could be the reason Im such a big horror fan today.

Advertisement