Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Math Issue

• 06-03-2013 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Could anyone tell me what the level of maths is like for the following course? http://www.itcarlow.ie/study-at-itc/science/computing-networking/cw206.htm
    (The 2nd year option will be Programming).

I have been coding for some time but my level of Math has never been an issue as I never needed to include a high level of Math in my work (Server side scripting) I always take an OOP approach. But I am concerned that due to my low (2nd) Level maths, that it maybe an issue as an application for a Mature Student. Any input would be grateful. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Im in the second year of that course, I am someone who is very poor at Maths, there are maths grinds available to people in first year, the first year course is also all continous assesment, you get a few take home assignments as well, the topics, covered are truth tables, probability, adding/subtracting/ binary numbers, converting from different number bases, decimal to hex etc etc. Theres a few others as well that I cant think of. But if you attend all the lectures, look for the maths grinds in any topic you are struggling with you should be fine. The take home assignments are pretty much easy marks to get as you can compare answers, they were worth 5 percent each and you get 4 or 5 through the year.

Edit: There is also a computer based maths program that you work through yourself, each topic in that is worth 3-5 per cent of your over all mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭He Who Dares Wins

Third year here, Maths was the area of the course that I was most afraid of but now is one of my more favored subjects. They have 1 hour grinds in 1st year and at least one tutorial(catch up) class a week even in 3rd year. Its CA throughout so it takes some pressure of the end of year exam and is an easy way to build up good marks so long as you put the work in. 3rd year Maths get slightly harder though because the whole course is done in 20 weeks so it feels like as soon as one topic is over your half way through the next. Its like any class tho, if you go to class and put in the work it makes it a whole lot easier. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

The level of maths isnt that advanced and considering the support available the only way you would have difficulty is if you just didnt make any effort at all.

As someone already programming you should have no problems.

Advertisement