Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing wifi connection

Options
  • 06-03-2013 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭

Keep getting disconnected from the wireless modem but the signal strength is showing as full. After a bit of googling I think it might have something to do with interference. I pick up quite a few other routers, a good few of which are set to the same radio type.

Thing is I cant access the router as I dont have the password. The usual default passwords wont work either. And cant change the channel or whatever would avoid the interference. So is there anything I can do on my end to hep with this in area where the interference causes issues ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Plug in by ethernet and you wont need the wireless password. You will still need the admin password which is most likely still default. What model wireless router is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Plug in by ethernet and you wont need the wireless password. You will still need the admin password which is most likely still default. What model wireless router is it?

Its a motorola router. If I change the channel will it affect other people using the connection ? Or will the computers just auto pick up the channel from the SSID they are connecting to ?

Its a motorola router. If I change the channel will it affect other people using the connection ? Or will the computers just auto pick up the channel from the SSID they are connecting to ?

No, the channel is set by the router, they will just connect as normal. Install Inssider on your laptop and see what channels are in use nearby. Remember , you overlap with the adjacent two channels. 1, 6 and 11 are the three non-overlapping channels.
    http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

No, the channel is set by the router, they will just connect as normal. Install Inssider on your laptop and see what channels are in use nearby. Remember , you overlap with the adjacent two channels. 1, 6 and 11 are the three non-overlapping channels.
    http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

4 including mine on channel 11. Sure to be the cause of the problem right ? And 6 is where I wanna be ? Cant find an ethernet cable though to connect to router though.

4 including mine on channel 11. Sure to be the cause of the problem right ? Cant find an ethernet cable though to connect to router though.

Are you connected wirelessly?

• Advertisement

Are you connected wirelessly?

Yes.

What model router, it's probably on default ip and password

What model router, it's probably on default ip and password

Its not a motorola model at all. :o Its a Zyxel router. I typed my default gateway into the address bar thinking that was my router and motorola showed up......what the hell was I trying to get into ??

Now I'm lost, the default gateway is the router you are connected to

Now I'm lost, the default gateway is the router you are connected to

Thats what I thought. But the router in the house is a zyxel. Unless its a bundle deal of some sort (I'm just renting and its in landlords name) and we are all connected to one main motorola unit through the zyxel access points. In which case I cant do jack shít. Or is it still to do with the router in the house ?

• Advertisement

Thats what I thought. But the router in the house is a zyxel. Unless its a bundle deal of some sort (I'm just renting and its in landlords name) and we are all connected to one main motorola unit through the zyxel access points. In which case I cant do jack shít. Or is it still to do with the router in the house ?

The Zyxel could be setup as an access point, in this case you could try this, see if you can see it on the network and get it's IP (if it's in the same subnet)
    http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-IP-Scanner/3000-18508_4-10115592.html

The Zyxel could be setup as an access point, in this case you could try this, see if you can see it on the network and get it's IP (if it's in the same subnet)
    http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-IP-Scanner/3000-18508_4-10115592.html

Not picking it up.

Guess I'll have to try get my hands on an ethernet cable and go through that. Thanks for all the help PogMoThoin, very much appreciated and I'll pop back and let ya know if I get it sorted.

Advertisement