Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi-Fi Signal Suddenly Lost?

Options
  • 06-03-2013 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My Wi-Fi signal has suddenly disapeared from my laptop. The service provider had literally just updated something from their end, however I did not take the phonecall so I am not sure as to what they have adjusted. Since then my signal has vanished.

Another laptop in the house is picking up the signal, as does my mobile phone so it still exists. The internet also works when I plug the ethernet cable directly into my laptop. My Wi-Fi card is still operating (and switched on) as it is picking up neigbouring network signals. I've tried resetting my router and my laptop with no luck.

I am at a complete loss as to what to try next. It was literally working 30mins ago. I am wondering what the service provider could have done (if anything) to cause this to happen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

Most smart phones can be set up as an access point for 3G. You can use this to check to see if you wifi card is work in the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

How many devices are connected to your router?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Thanks for the replies but it is sorted. I rang the provider and they altered the 'channel' (whatever that means) which my laptop was unable to pick up. They just chose a different channel which the laptop then recognised. Networking is complete witchcraft sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Slightly different problem with my laptop. When trying to connect through a wireless network there is none and then to diagnose the problem it says Turn on Wireless Capability.

Gas thing is the wireless switch is on!

Anyone have a clue about this barmy situation?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Slightly different problem with my laptop. When trying to connect through a wireless network there is none and then to diagnose the problem it says Turn on Wireless Capability.

Gas thing is the wireless switch is on!

Anyone have a clue about this barmy situation?!

Could be a couple of different things.
    Do you have another program controlling your wireless?
    http://www.howcast.com/videos/437120-How-to-Let-Windows-Manage-Wireless-Network-Connections

Or your wireless card may have failed.

One extreme to the other and many other problems in between.

You may need to reinstall the drivers. You may have something conflicting with the drivers/software.

• Advertisement
Advertisement