Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Greatest Injustice of All Time!

• 06-03-2013 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭

That's a quote from one of my mates about last nights sending off. Heat of the moment stuff and all that, and I think we can all agree that it probably isn't but it did get me thinking; what are the greatest footballing injustices of all time?

Maradona's Hand of God?

Henry's handball in the WC Qualifier?

Italy and Spain vs South Korea in 2002?

Arsenal's promotion to the First Division way back when is probably my favourite for quite obvious reasons :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

The Chelsea Barca match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Roy Hodgson managing Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hillsborough

The coverup was disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

1973 FA Cup Final - Sunderland 1 Leeds 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

WC 82 Semi final France vs Germany

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Hillsborough

The coverup was disgrace

My example was from a football perspective. Yours is genuinely more important than that and wins hands down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Henry's was the worst to take but it must be the ball boy that scored in Brazil! That was madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

oldyouth wrote: »
    My example was from a football perspective. Yours is genuinely more important than that and wins hands down

Just about to say, I was going for from a footballing perspective.

oldyouth wrote: »

I know lad.

Football wise it be france game just because I was there.

cson wrote: »

Just about to say, I was going for from a footballing perspective.

I know you were just still angers me.

Anyway stick to on Pitch now promise.

• Advertisement

Belgium v Ireland in 81 is another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

greendom wrote: »
    WC 82 Semi final France vs Germany

Great shout!

Henry's handball is definitely up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Suarez handball that stopped a certain goal which ended with a missed penalty and Ghana were robbed of becoming the first African team to make the semi-finals of the World Cup.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Suarez handball that stopped a certain goal which ended with a missed penalty and Ghana were robbed of becoming the first African team to make the semi-finals of the World Cup.

He just did what any player would do. Ref gave what he could a Peno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Argentina World Cup in 78 springs to mind. That 6-0 victory for Argentina against Peru when they needed to win by 4 or more always stank. Playing all their group games at night so they knew how the group stood before playing etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Your not getting the point of the thread I think.

Well it changed my thinking on the rules of the game and instant replay. Firstly we need instant replay and then there should be a rule that if its a certain goal had there not been illegal intervention that a goal should be awarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Harald Schumacher getting away with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

The Pedro Mendes goal that wasn't against Roy Carroll.

If that had happened at the other end I'd be fuming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Tht doesn't make it any less of an injustice.

• Advertisement

Well it changed my thinking on the rules of the game and instant replay. Firstly we need instant replay and then there should be a rule that if its a certain goal it without illegal intervention that a goal should be awarded.

I hear you and agree.

Just the Ref did the best things throughout the game and gave Penalty.

Henry did what any Irish would of done too. Difference is Ref or linesman should of seen it and disallowed it.

I hear you and agree.

Just the Ref did the best things throughout the game and gave Penalty.

Henry did what any Irish would of done too. Difference is Ref or linesman should of seen it and disallowed it.
    Yeah I'm not castigating the ref but for me it was a great injustice that Ghana ended up losing that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I dont see it an being unjust. He committed a foul, and got the appropriate punishment. Everything was by the book. Scummy, yes. Not an injustice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

Henrys handball for me

Although the fai asking for is to be the 33rd team in wc just makes me laugh when i remember it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Henry.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I dont see it an being unjust. He committed a foul, and got the appropriate punishment. Everything was by the book. Scummy, yes. Not an injustice.

Kanchelkis did it for Utd in a Carling cup final and Robbie Keane did it for Spurs.

I'd be disgusted if a player from Liverpool didn't do it to save a certain goal in a similar circumstance.

Henry must be right up there!

There is about 100 more but I can't think of another.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Yeah I'm not castigating the ref but for me it was a great injustice that Ghana ended up losing that game.

do you know what injustice means?

justice was done - a penalty was given and a red card was issued

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

In terms of on the pitch, the one that annoyed me (and probably the majority of posters here) the most was the Henry handball. Just the way the tie panned out, Ireland deserved it so much more. It was a hard one to stomach.

I don't think the Suarez vs Ghana one counts really, he was sent off and a penalty was awarded. I'd only include blatant rule breaking that went unpunished, Suarez faced the appropriate punishment so there's not much the ref/FIFA can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Suarez did much the same as henry against macclesfield but his was defended as playing to the whistle but henry's is an injustice??

Suarez did much the same as henry against macclesfield but his was defended as playing to the whistle but henry's is an injustice??

Henry knew what he was doing, he even handled it twice. Suarez had the ball booted at his arm but you know this yourself really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

All the dodgy decisions South Korea got against Italy and Spain - not the greatest injustice ever but those games just stank.

I think cheating that appears to come from UEFA/FIFA (how Korea just happened to get a lot of bad decisions their way, same for Barcelona against Chelsea) is proper injustice compared to the likes of Mardonna/Henry/Suarez handling the ball - that's just a bit scummy more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Wasn't there some F.A. Cup final where the goalkeeper caught a high ball and was then pushed into the net and the goal was allowed to stand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,166 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

donfers wrote: »

the laws of the game were applied, not the same as "justice"

If Suarez hadn't cynically cheated, Ghana would've gone through and made history - there's no maybes here, the match was literally over.

The ref couldn't have done any more, but the punishment in no way fit the crime.

Rivaldo - Brazil v Turkey, World Cup 2002 Group Stage. Although not big fan of Turkey but that sending off was bad.

Mendes goal for Spurs v United

I thought I would think of more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

A lot of stuff I personally don't count as injustice even if it is cheating (eg Maradona's hand of god). I saw the full game and England weren't even at the races. The right team went through.

By comparison, I'd count this as an injustice
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germany_1%E2%80%930_Austria_(1982_FIFA_World_Cup)
    An actual injustice that resulted in the format of the tournament itself being changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Kanchelkis did it for Utd in a Carling cup final and Robbie Keane did it for Spurs.

I'd be disgusted if a player from Liverpool didn't do it to save a certain goal in a similar circumstance.

Henry must be right up there!

Whats the difference there? Both incidents are cheating! Just in one incident the ref didnt see the handball whereas in the other incidents the ref did see it and called it a foul.

roanoke wrote: »

Another good shout but you could have at least gone to the effort of explaining it in your post rather than just posting a wiki link. :)

donfers wrote: »

No, justice would have been a goal given to them. A penalty and a red card does not equal a goal.

I realise under the current rules that cannot happen but justice would have been them winning that tie and it didn't happen because of cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

1966 WC final

• Advertisement

Ronald Koeman in Holland v England World cup qualifier in 1993.

I remember at the time this was major story. Koeman should have been sent off after hacking down English player as he was about to score and he did not get sent off. Then he goes up the other end to score(cracking goal) and Holland went onto win.

I cant be certain but think the result cost England Qualification to WC 94.

mitosis wrote: »
    1966 WC final

Again, can you elaborate a bit? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Maire2009 wrote: »
    All the dodgy decisions South Korea got against Italy and Spain - not the greatest injustice ever but those games just stank.

I think cheating that appears to come from UEFA/FIFA (how Korea just happened to get a lot of bad decisions their way, same for Barcelona against Chelsea) is proper injustice compared to the likes of Mardonna/Henry/Suarez handling the ball - that's just a bit scummy more than anything.

What about all the favourable calls that Spain received in 2010 World Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

The Luis Garcia goal vs Chelsea in the CL Semi's a few years back is another one.

Come to think of it; Chelsea have been on the wrong end of some terrible decisions; Barcelona twice, that Garcia goal... Hard to feel sympathy for them though. :pac:

Not the greatest injustice by any means but the second yellow shown to RVP a couple of years back was pretty awful too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

St Pats vs Shels cup final 1996. Shels keeper carried the ball over the line. Goal not given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

loyatemu wrote: »
    the laws of the game were applied, not the same as "justice"

If Suarez hadn't cynically cheated, Ghana would've gone through and made history - there's no maybes here, the match was literally over.

The ref couldn't have done any more, but the punishment in no way fit the crime.
    You can't change a punishment if it's at the end of the match, so lets scrap that argument. I don't see anything wrong with the current punishment for the offence, a red card and a penalty is as bad as the punishment can get.

cson wrote: »
    The Luis Garcia goal vs Chelsea in the CL Semi's a few years back is another one.

Come to think of it; Chelsea have been on the wrong end of some terrible decisions; Barcelona twice, that Garcia goal... Hard to feel sympathy for them though. :pac:

Not the greatest injustice by any means but the second yellow shown to RVP a couple of years back was pretty awful too.

In fairness with the garcia goal the ref said he would have given a Pen and sent cech off if the goal wasnt given.

Dont know if you can call this a injustice, but can imagine the uproar if it happened today.

Remember reading this before about qualification for the 1954 World Cup

In Group 6 for World Cup qualification in Europe there was only 2 teams. Turkey and Spain. The First game ended 4-1 to Spain in Madrid. The second game finished 1-0 to hosts so leaving the 2 teams on 2 points each. Goal Difference did not count then.

So the group stage was decided by Play-off on neutral ground and Rome was the venue.

Here's the weird bit

After 2-2 draw a.e.t the game was decided by lots. A 14 year old local ( Roman/italian) boy whose father worked at the stadium, picked Turkey's name from the lots with his eyes blindfolded.

Turkey got to World Cup.

Who says Fifa have not moved on eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Ronald Koeman in Holland v England World cup qualifier in 1993.

I remember at the time this was major story. Koeman should have been sent off after hacking down English player as he was about to score and he did not get sent off. Then he goes up the other end to score(cracking goal) and Holland went onto win.

I cant be certain but think the result cost England Qualification to WC 94.

Moreover it pretty much cost Graham Taylor his job
    (40 seconds in for the Koeman challenge, 3:20 for Koeman's free kick)

loyatemu wrote: »
    If Suarez hadn't cynically cheated, Ghana would've gone through and made history

I'm pretty sure they were given a very good chance after that to go through... It's not like once Suarez handed it the final whistle went.

Ghana had their chance to cancel out Suarez's handball and score a goal but they didn't take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Dont know if you can call this a injustice, but can imagine the uproar if it happened today.

Remember reading this before about qualification for the 1954 World Cup

In Group 6 for World Cup qualification in Europe there was only 2 teams. Turkey and Spain. The First game ended 4-1 to Spain in Madrid. The second game finished 1-0 to hosts so leaving the 2 teams on 2 points each. Goal Difference did not count then.

So the group stage was decided by Play-off on neutral ground and Rome was the venue.

Here's the weird bit

After 2-2 draw a.e.t the game was decided by lots. A 14 year old local ( Roman/italian) boy whose father worked at the stadium, picked Turkey's name from the lots with his eyes blindfolded.

Turkey got to World Cup.

Who says Fifa have not moved on eh?

You think that's bad? (it is! but I mean it rhetorically)

At Euro 68 the semi final between the Soviet Union and Italy ended 0-0 AET. The winner was decided by a coin-toss.

The SEMI FINAL of the entire frickin tournament! :eek:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=1968/matches/round=175/match=3938/postmatch/report/index.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement