Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Greatest Injustice of All Time!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

roanoke wrote: »

The SEMI FINAL of the entire frickin tournament! :eek:

That is worse.:eek:

Just hope they checked to coin to make sure 2 sides were different.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

764dak wrote: »
    What about all the favourable calls that Spain received in 2010 World Cup?

I can't think of any major calls off the top of my head but that is not to say they didn't happen, just them two games came to my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

George Graham's dismissal and suspension by the FA- when they were all at it.

Bulesconi wasnt the only one with bung-a bung-a parties

Graham was a scapegoat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

They should bring back the coin toss! :D

Seriously though; that's insane. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Moreover it pretty much cost Graham Taylor his job
    (40 seconds in for the Koeman challenge, 3:20 for Koeman's free kick)

Cheers for sharing that Vid. Watched the whole lot. Just interesting to hear managers in sideline and what they be saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,166 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm pretty sure they were given a very good chance after that to go through... It's not like once Suarez handed it the final whistle went.

Ghana had their chance to cancel out Suarez's handball and score a goal but they didn't take it.

if Suarez hadn't cheated (and I just watched it again, its an astonishingly cynical handball) Ghana would've won the match - the subsequent penalty was literally the last kick.

Sure, they were give a "good chance" to go through after that (if you regard a last-second penalty kick under enormous pressure to be a good chance), but bar the cheating, they were through. Suarez stole their place in the semis from them.

There's nothing in the laws of the game to deal with such a specific situation, nor should there be probably, but its still a desparate injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Korea in 2002 is probably the greatest I can remember in my lifetime - particularly the Spain game where (iirc) they had 2 clearly valid goals ruled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

(West) Germany vs Austria in 1982 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The van Persie sending off at the Nou Camp in 2011 was quite an injustice. Arsenal were leading the tie with not long to go but went on to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

loyatemu wrote: »
    if Suarez hadn't cheated (and I just watched it again, its an astonishingly cynical handball) Ghana would've won the match - the subsequent penalty was literally the last kick.

Sure, they were give a "good chance" to go through after that (if you regard a last-second penalty kick under enormous pressure to be a good chance), but bar the cheating, they were through. Suarez stole their place in the semis from them.

There's nothing in the laws of the game to deal with such a specific situation, nor should there be probably, but its still a desparate injustice.

But is a last man foul to stop a goal-scoring opportunity cheating?

Is a foul like Evra's on Ronaldo last night when he knew he was away from him and on a dangerous counter and decided to take a yellow for the team also cheating?

For me what Suarez did is just professionalism (as are the above examples). He did what he had to do and I'd be raging if I were a Uruguayan and he didn't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Morzadec wrote: »
    Korea in 2002 is probably the greatest I can remember in my lifetime - particularly the Spain game where (iirc) they had 2 clearly valid goals ruled out.

The ref in the Italian game against Korea was also a joke, he later got suspended a year later for playing 16 minutes extra time until a team game back from 1-0 down to win 2-1 and about 2 years ago was caught with a few kilos of coke going through JFK airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

What about the extremely soft penalty Spain received against Honduras in the 1982 World Cup? It cost Honduras a second round place and Spain would have been the first host to get knocked out in the first round.

What about the extremely soft penalty Spain received against Honduras in the 1982 World Cup? It cost Honduras a second round place and Spain would have been the first host to get knocked out in the first round.

Wasn't that former Yugoslavia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭mobby

The Chelsea Barca match?

I presume you mean this Chelsea v Barcelona: The controversial battle of the Bridge in 2009 Champions League semi-final :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Wasn't that former Yugoslavia?

It was Spain. Yugoslavia went through as one of the best 3rd place and Spain finished second. However, if Spain lost against Honduras then Yugoslavia would have finished second and Honduras would have went through as one of the best 3rd place teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Lasagne gate in 2006. Spurs being forced to play that game against West Ham with half the team suffering from food poisoning. The game never should have went ahead.

It was Spain. Yugoslavia went through as one of the best 3rd place and Spain finished second. However, if Spain lost against Honduras then Yugoslavia would have finished second and Honduras would have went through as one of the best 3rd place teams.

Just checked, you're right :)

So that World Cup had two scandals, still feel ashamed, that my home country played a vital part in one of them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

It was Spain V Honduras. It was the 1st game of the group and in the end N.Ireland topped the group, with Spain runners up. Only 2 qualified from each group in 1982.

Honduras finished bottom but would have been joint top if they had beaten Spain.

They also conceded a late penalty to Yugoslavia but both teams would have gone out anyway if it had stayed 0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Why oh why does everything have to be so focused on Suarez!!! There have been thousands of greater injustices in football than that (because it wasn't an injustice in the first place)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

playing in an under 10 final years ago ....a team mate took a shot and it clearly was over the line but the referee didnt give it :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

CSF wrote: »
    Why oh why does everything have to be so focused on Suarez!!! There have been thousands of greater injustices in football than that (because it wasn't an injustice in the first place)

I take it you can't think of any other decent examples then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

CSF wrote: »

It was one of many posted on here to be fair and the discussion on whether it was an injustice or not was valid IMO and took up a few posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

Djimi Traoré has a Champions League winners medal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Wim Kieft, Euro 88.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

cson wrote: »
    They should bring back the coin toss! :D

Seriously though; that's insane. :eek:

I'd love to see the coin toss brought back. Just to see how the TV stations would try and spice it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I take it you can't think of any other decent examples then?
    Loads, the best ones have been posted though. The Arsenal Van Persie sending off is one that I haven't seen mentioned, the Lyon/Ajax/Zagreb fiasco also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'd love to see the coin toss brought back. Just to see how the TV stations would try and spice it up

They'd find a way to stretch it out to 30mins http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deal_or_No_Deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

the laws of the game were applied, not the same as "justice"

If Suarez hadn't cynically cheated, Ghana would've gone through and made history - there's no maybes here, the match was literally over.

The ref couldn't have done any more, but the punishment in no way fit the crime.

Why the hell is everyone so in love with Ghana here ?

I think that Uruguay in the form of Suraez and Forlan brought far more to that WC than Ghana ever did.
    I was delighted when they won.

Is it cos today is Ghana's independence day and national holiday ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

the laws of the game were applied, not the same as "justice"

If Suarez hadn't cynically cheated, Ghana would've gone through and made history - there's no maybes here, the match was literally over.

The ref couldn't have done any more, but the punishment in no way fit the crime.

Cheating implies some sort of deception, whereas the Suarez handball was obvious. It was a professional foul essentially and one that any player would be a fool not to commit.

As for the biggest injustice in a game, the obvious one is phil Neville's hand ball on the line denying a Lucas goal in the derby a few years back..:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

For me personally, the 2009 Champions League Semi-Final is up there near the summit. Chelsea had I don't know how many penalty shouts waved away, some of them stonewall that would have been given in 9 cases out of 10. Add to the injustice of that game, Eric Abidal was sent off in the wrong, meaning he was cost a place in the starting 11 for Barcelona in the subsequent final. The fact that Barcelona had 1 single, solitary shot on target the whole game and that shot on target led to a goal in the 92nd minute. It was very hard to stomach. I cannot bring myself to watch replays or repeats of any point of that game.

The Hand of Henry is also up there. That match was a dead-heat going into the final stages and who knows what would have happened had Henry not handled the ball and if France hadn't scored? It was another incident of terrible injustice. But in a way, justice was sort of done by the spectacular fashion with which the French imploded in South Africa and the Mexican fans unfurling banners when they beat France "Esto es por Irlanda" (That was for Ireland).

The 1975 European Cup Final between Bayern Munich and Leeds United is also regarded as a robbery. Leeds had numerous decisions go against them and Bayern capitalised and won their 2nd of 3 consecutive European Cups in most controversial circumstances. Leeds were also at the receiving end of poor refereeing and bad luck in the 1973 Cup Winners' Cup Final against AC Milan as well.

1991 European Cup Final between Red Star Belgrade and Marseille. Not an injustice, per sé, but from how Red Star played all game, they went looking to take the game to a penalty shootout, and that is what they got. And they won it on penalties. From what I've heard, this was far worse than any modern examples of parking the bus (see Barca v. Inter, Barca v. Chelsea, etc.). This was a sheer disgrace. At no point did Red Star make a meaningful attack and at no point did they attempt to "play the game". Again, not an injustice, perhaps, more astute tactics on how to smother superior opposition. But the reason I mention this one is that I've heard it was just simply disgraceful, moreso than any other "park the bus" examples in football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Qatar 2022. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Why the hell is everyone so in love with Ghana here ?

I think that Uruguay in the form of Suraez and Forlan brought far more to that WC than Ghana ever did.
    I was delighted when they won.

Is it cos today is Ghana's independence day and national holiday ?

Who cares what Uruguay brought to the world cup? Ghana were shafted by cheating Uruguay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

The Pedro Mendes goal that wasn't against Roy Carroll.

If that had happened at the other end I'd be fuming

I was at that match. It was my first United match to go to. We were sitting in the upper tier behind the goal so we didn't realise until we got back to the hotel what had actually happened.

Can't believe it wasn't given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Hillsborough

The coverup was disgrace

I don't think people were talking about actual in game injustice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

As a fan of both Ireland and Chelsea, and Ireland always come first for me, not even the Henry handball comes close to the game against Barca. That's by far the worst I've ever seen in terms of injustice.

The Henry one was a moment of madness, deliberate or not as well as some bad officiating, but the Chelsea Barca match was just blatant cheating by the ref on a number of occasions during the match. I doubt I'll ever see anything as bad in the game again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

For me, given the clear orchestration of the whole thing, the collusion between Austria and West Germany to knock Algeria out of the world cup is the greatest injustice I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Could people elaborate on what happened rather than just stating the date and the name of the person or team, I don't fancy googling all the ones I don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Could people elaborate on what happened rather than just stating the date and the name of the person or team, I don't fancy googling all the ones I don't know

for the Austria West Germany one, a 1-0 or 2-0 win for Germany would have meant that both teams went through at the expense of Algeria, who had caused one of the biggest upsets in World cup history by beating West Germany earlier in the tournament. West Germany scored after 10 minutes, and both teams passed the ball around with no interest in scoring for the next 80 minutes. One disgusted Austrian commentator told viewers to just turn off their televisions. It was one of the main reasons final group games are played at the same time now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I used to think Wim Kieft's goal in Euro 88 was the injustice..

The Austria v West Germany one is the one I thought of immediately. Along with the Argentina v Peru game in 1978 and I am very sceptical about Zagreb v Lyon still.

'Games' where you're not given a chance and you're not involved to change it is what I'd consider the greatest injustices.

Calciopoli then maybe comes into it, but is probably too big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

gif-jews-cristiano-ronaldo-soccer-249614.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

roanoke wrote: »
    A lot of stuff I personally don't count as injustice even if it is cheating (eg Maradona's hand of god). I saw the full game and England weren't even at the races. The right team went through.
    I dont buy this " the right team went through" stuff. For a start why did the best player in the world need to cheat to cheat to beat them? The team that deserves to go through is the one that scores the most goals. If you go through by only having one chance and taking it, so be it. The same stuff was levelled at greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eagle eye wrote: »
    No, justice would have been a goal given to them. A penalty and a red card does not equal a goal.

I realise under the current rules that cannot happen but justice would have been them winning that tie and it didn't happen because of cheating.
    Thats dangerous ground though. What if someone had chopped down ronny rosenthal against villa when he had an open goal all those years ago.a goal is given when theres always a chance he could miss (and did)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

West Germany -v- Austria at the expense of Algeria is not an injustice.

Jesus, why should teams NOT manufacture a result to their own advantage if they can? They broke no rules, every player, official and fan at that match would have known that if Germany took a 1 goal lead that it was good enough for both teams to progress, it's natural that the players took the foot off the gas for the remainder of that game. We'd all do it.

In fact, Ireland DID do it at Italia 90, in the 1-1 with Holland. Result suited both, after Quinn equalised in the 71st minute the game literally ended, with twenty minutes of Bonner to McCarthy to Bonner hoof to van Breukelen to Koeman to van Breukelen hoof to Bonner to McCarthy ad infinitum.

It then took the drawing of lots to determine the final standings in the group. Holland went on to lose to Germany, and Ireland beat Romania on Penalties. If Holland had have went for the win, they'd have ended up second and likely progressing against Romania, while Germany would likely hvae beaten Ireland.

Thats dangerous ground though. What if someone had chopped down ronny rosenthal against villa when he had an open goal all those years ago.a goal is given when theres always a chance he could miss (and did)

A peno and red card for denying a goal scoring opportunity in the box and eagle eyes suggestion for the likes of the Ghana incident where it would definitely been a goal but for Suarezs illegal intervention?

Awarding goals when the ball didn't cross the line is a fúcking stupid idea.

• Advertisement

Awarding goals when the ball didn't cross the line is a fúcking stupid idea.

Due to it being stopped by a players hand?

It's certainly worth consideration.

adox wrote: »
    Due to it being stopped by a players hand?

It's certainly worth consideration.

What about when a cat or a fox runs onto the pitch and stops a goal? Or a cat deflects a shot that was going wide, into the net?

All of these things happen in football at levels lower than WC or EPL etc.

Deliberate hand ball on the line is a red card + penalty.

What about when a cat or a fox runs onto the pitch and stops a goal? Or a cat deflects a shot that was going wide, into the net?

All of these things happen in football at levels lower than WC or EPL etc.

Deliberate hand ball on the line is a red card + penalty.

Well as long as the cat or fox don't deliberately handle the ball in the process then that's fair enough. :pac:

Did you read the part where it was said a player stops the ball going in with his hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I don't think Suarez incident is worthy of a mention. Injustice is when the act of cheating is unpunished like Henry handball incident.

What Suarez did was not even cheating. He took one for the team and was rightly punished. Ref gave penalty and a red card. I don't think you can give anymore than that. Ghana bottled it by missing penalty first and then failing to score against 10 men in the extra time.

adox wrote: »
    Did you read the part where it was said a player stops the ball going in with his hand?

I did, did you read the part where I said that awarding goals when the ball doesn't cross the line is stupid?

Also, foxes and cats do not have hands, so it would be impossible for them to deliberatley handle the ball.

• Advertisement
Advertisement