Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Greatest Injustice of All Time!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Beachball!
    Worse it was a Liverpool beachball. Funny as it was and equally as stupid, don't the rules state it should not have stood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

adox wrote: »

Due to it being stopped by a players hand?

It's certainly worth consideration.
    It's really not. Red card and peno is more than adequate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Also, foxes and cats do not have hands, so it would be impossible for them to deliberatley handle the ball.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Not on the pitch but for me the greatest football related injustice was the murder of Andres Escobar after he scored an own goal against the USA and Columbia got knocked out of the 94 World Cup. Puts things in perspective. Think this thread is hilarious as being born out of Tuesday nights game.

I did, did you read the part where I said that awarding goals when the ball doesn't cross the line is stupid?

Yes and used your cat and fox scenario as a reason for punishing a player for deliberate hand ball on the line.

Can you not see, however ridiculous you may think the idea is, that your reasoning actually has nothing to do with the question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

What if the ref deflects it in?

Or if Howard Webb goes up for a corner at the weekend against Chelsea :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

adox wrote: »

Due to it being stopped by a players hand?

It's certainly worth consideration.
    Like a penalty try in rugby. It is very rare that it happens in soccer though. I wonder if Suarez still played for Ajax today would this incident have been mentioned or would there be such a strong protection for him.

For me though I think the whole Suarez/terry rascism story was a big injustice. One player gets an 8 match immediate ban, the other is held off until after the European cup and is only 4 matches for the same crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The Pedro Mendes goal that wasn't against Roy Carroll.

If that had happened at the other end I'd be fuming

My Spurs supporting friend had €10 on a 1-0 Spurs win and Mendes as first goalscorer. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The fact that Sheff Utd were relegated in the 2006/2007 Premier League season, due to the "cheating" of West Ham with regards Carlos Tevez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Like a penalty try in rugby. It is very rare that it happens in soccer though. I wonder if Suarez still played for Ajax today would this incident have been mentioned or would there be such a strong protection for him.

For me though I think the whole Suarez/terry rascism story was a big injustice. One player gets an 8 match immediate ban, the other is held off until after the European cup and is only 4 matches for the same crime.
    Football should be doing everything it can to not be like rugby. Crap sport.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »

Correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

roanoke wrote: »
    You think that's bad? (it is! but I mean it rhetorically)

At Euro 68 the semi final between the Soviet Union and Italy ended 0-0 AET. The winner was decided by a coin-toss.

The SEMI FINAL of the entire frickin tournament! :eek:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=1968/matches/round=175/match=3938/postmatch/report/index.html

"Best 2 out of 3?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In saying that football should look at the marketing strategy that rugby implies and bring some of that to LOI.

The Irish rugby team have more in common with the English football and Communist North Korea then people think.

Anyway that's for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Ireland have had some terrible injustices at international level. We simply werent wanted at the big tournaments back in the day. Belgium has been mentioned, but Spain in Paris in 1966 deserves a mention too.

Personally, the end of Arsenal's 49 game unbeaten run at Old trafford was very hard to take. Freddie Ljungberg pulled down by Ferdinand when clean through and not even a free kick given. Van Nistelrooy nearly removing Ashely Cole's knee and again nothing given. A systematic hatchet job on Jose Reyes that went unpunished until well into the the second half. And then to top it all, an appalling dive by Rooney punsihed by a penalty. If we lost the unbeaten run fair and square it wold be no problem, but to have it robbed that was was hard to stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

The fact that djimi traore has a champions league winners medal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    The fact that djimi traore has a champions league winners medal!
    lmao wrote: »
    Djimi Traoré has a Champions League winners medal!

It'd be a bit unfair to not give him a medal considering he won the thing ;)

Football could learn a lot from rugby, which along with football is a great sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

People complaining about the Germans in the World Cup should remember we did the same ourselfs in Italia 90 against holland when neither team challenged for the ball for the last 20 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

What about when a cat or a fox runs onto the pitch and stops a goal? Or a cat deflects a shot that was going wide, into the net?

All of these things happen in football at levels lower than WC or EPL etc.

Deliberate hand ball on the line is a red card + penalty.

other sports such as GAA and Rugby allow the ref to award a score, even if the score has not taken place. its not as crazy an idea as it sounds.

i for one, would love to see a deliberate handball on the goal line awarded if there was 0% doubt that it was going in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It's a bit different and clearly more risky to do it when the games are on at the same time. If I recall correctly, a goal for Egypt would have meant all 4 teams finishing with an identical record.

That element of risk was missing from the game in 1982. It was out of Algeria's control in a way that you couldn't say about Egypt.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Kanchelkis did it for Utd in a Carling cup final and Robbie Keane did it for Spurs.

I'd be disgusted if a player from Liverpool didn't do it to save a certain goal in a similar circumstance.

Henry must be right up there!
    Stephane Henchoz?

other sports such as GAA and Rugby allow the ref to award a score, even if the score has not taken place. its not as crazy an idea as it sounds.

i for one, would love to see a deliberate handball on the goal line awarded if there was 0% doubt that it was going in.

Do they. What score in gaa is awarded even if the score didn't take place.

osarusan wrote: »
    It's a bit different and clearly more risky to do it when the games are on at the same time. If I recall correctly, a goal for Egypt would have meant all 4 teams finishing with an identical record.

That element of risk was missing from the game in 1982. It was out of Algeria's control in a way that you couldn't say about Egypt.

True but if it was the other way around and ireland were knocked out we would still be talking about it.

cournioni wrote: »
    Stephane Henchoz?

That wasn't deliberate.

niallo27 wrote: »
    People complaining about the Germans in the World Cup should remember we did the same ourselfs in Italia 90 against holland when neither team challenged for the ball for the last 20 mins.
    Post #94.
    other sports such as GAA

Stopped there, any attempts to make football more like gah should be met with the disdain it deserves.

Back to the Kingdom with you to talk about that stuff.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    Do they. What score in gaa is awarded even if the score didn't take place.

Doesnt happen in the bigger games but it is in the rule book that a ref can award a score if he deems that outside interference prevented a goal.

i did my reffing course with an All ireland final ref and the example he used was that at underage level, a father could be the umpire at the goal that his son is playing in and would stick out a boot to stop a ball going in.

official decision would be to award the goal. ive seen alot of that s*it at club underage level down through the years.

Doesnt happen in the bigger games but it is in the rule book that a ref can award a score if he deems that outside interference prevented a goal.

i did my reffing course with an All ireland final ref and the example he used was that at underage level, a father could be the umpire at the goal that his son is playing in and would stick out a boot to stop a ball going in.

official decision would be to award the goal. ive seen alot of that s*it at club underage level down through the years.

In fairness that is never going to happen in AI final or any half decent game.

In fairness that is never going to happen in AI final or any half decent game.

and likewise, you rarely see cheating of the likes of Suarez or Henry proportions at big stage in Rugby and GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well if I recall there was a big forore at the time and most of it was pro Ghana.

All this BS about how Ghana were denied a semi-final place etc, when if fact it was their own fault they lost by not being able to score a last minute penalty or win on penalties.

I do not like Liverpool but Suraez really caught my eye during that WC and I admire him ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

and likewise, you rarely see cheating of the likes of Suarez or Henry proportions at big stage in Rugby and GAA.

Blatant cheating in a Heineken cup final count?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQlJ8K7XjQc

Or a Leinster final:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8hDWdGi6Uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I would exclude the hand of God because Argentina were clearly the better side so I don't see an injustice even if one goal was scored by cheating. I loathe Suarez but I would kick to death any team-mate who didn't concede a penalty in the Ghana situation. Ireland have had nothing but injustice to show for qualifying campaigns over the years - Stapleton 'offside' in Paris (no less), Giles ditto in Sofia and Eric Gerets appalling dive in 1981 (when we had some real quality players) but Thierry Henry is the obvious standout.

On a personal level I would also like to mention the Mendes non-goal at Old Trafford. Also, Chris Foy ignoring about 14 penalties and at least six war crimes in the Stoke versus Tottenham league match at the Brittania last year. He also disallowed one onside goal and sent off Kaboul for being human. That result ultimately cost Spurs a Champions league slot, (along with an extremely suspect West Brom goalkeeping display against Arsenal in the last match and Chelsea winning the Champions League in the most ridiculous fashion that , amongst a lot of other good fortune, needed Messi, the World's best player having his best season,and Arjen Robben missing penalties). The last bit doesn't count as an injustice but I needed to get it off my chest. Thanks.

In LOI there was Alan Kirby selecting one of the two footballs on the pitch in the last minutes of the FAI cup final of 2004 and smacking it into the net while Waterford defenders stood around pointing at the other ball. Goal awarded, Longford win 2-1.

I dont blame Suarez and I dont blame Henry even if the fecker maybe cost us one hell of a party in Paris with the Algerians.

But there is a difference to what happened in both outcomes. There was not a injustice in the rulebook for what Suarez did. He got his marching orders and Ghana got a Peno.

Henry goal should of been disallowed. That more then likely would of sent the game to Penos.

Im normally a pessimistic type when comes to Irish football team, but im 99% certain we would of won the Penalty shootout. You see things so much differently when at a game and the French players body language and expression showed they were not up for the fight.

edit:Gallas goal not Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Neil Back in the Heineken Cup Final a few years ago springs to mind.

greendom wrote: »
    Neil Back in the Heineken Cup Final a few years ago springs to mind.

hence why i said rarely, that was 11 years ago.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I would exclude the hand of God because Argentina were clearly the better side so I don't see an injustice even if one goal was scored by cheating. I loathe Suarez but I would kick to death any team-mate who didn't concede a penalty in the Ghana situation. Ireland have had nothing but injustice to show for qualifying campaigns over the years - Stapleton 'offside' in Paris (no less), Giles ditto in Sofia and Eric Gerets appalling dive in 1981 (when we had some real quality players) but Thierry Henry is the obvious standout.

On a personal level I would also like to mention the Mendes non-goal at Old Trafford. Also, Chris Foy ignoring about 14 penalties and at least six war crimes in the Stoke versus Tottenham league match at the Brittania last year. He also disallowed one onside goal and sent off Kaboul for being human. That result ultimately cost Spurs a Champions league slot, (along with an extremely suspect West Brom goalkeeping display against Arsenal in the last match and Chelsea winning the Champions League in the most ridiculous fashion that , amongst a lot of other good fortune, needed Messi, the World's best player having his best season,and Arjen Robben missing penalties). The last bit doesn't count as an injustice but I needed to get it off my chest. Thanks.

In LOI there was Alan Kirby selecting one of the two footballs on the pitch in the last minutes of the FAI cup final of 2004 and smacking it into the net while Waterford defenders stood around pointing at the other ball. Goal awarded, Longford win 2-1.

I love this attitude.

we rage about Henry using his hands v Ireland, but Maradonna using his against England was some how not as bad.

You can never tell how a game may have turned out had a gaol not been scored.
    But the fact is that that game was decided by one goal, and Argentina scored a goal illegally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I love this attitude.

we rage about Henry using his hands v Ireland, but Maradonna using his against England was some how not as bad.

Most of the world loves that attitude! :D

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Most of the world loves that attitude! :D

Well it's pretty sad and pathetic, I pity them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Leinster final Louth vs Meath Forget about Joe Sheridan already?? :p

hence why i said rarely, that was 11 years ago.

Was it really ? Where have the years gone.

What about the referee in the last WC final - he handed it on a plate to NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

greendom wrote: »
    Was it really ? Where have the years gone.

What about the referee in the last WC final - he handed it on a plate to NZ

That was just incompetence rather than cheating. the blood capsule incident a couple of years ago on the other hand...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    The fact that Sheff Utd were relegated in the 2006/2007 Premier League season, due to the "cheating" of West Ham with regards Carlos Tevez.

That wasn't cheating, that was just trolling Neil warnock :pac:

There was the case in Scotland a good few years back of jim farry, the chief executive of the sfa deliberately blocking the registration of Jorge cadete for celtic, so that he wouldn't be eligible for the cup semi final against rangers. Farry was later found guilty of this and sacked.

While not the greatest injustice of all time, it certainly raises questions over the impartiality of the sfa over a long period

dan1895 wrote: »
    That was just incompetence rather than cheating. the blood capsule incident a couple of years ago on the other hand...

That's a good example

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

Bayern Munich in the 99 CL Final, the most undeserved final win of all-time. Utd way to the final was pure injustice, remember Simeone's perfect goal in the 1/4 final at OT and Utd played off the park in the final.

Funny the way Higuain's perfect goal in the first half the other night hardly gets mentioned.

Mont wrote: »
    Bayern Munich in the 99 CL Final, the most undeserved final win of all-time. Utd way to the final was pure injustice, remember Simeone's perfect goal in the 1/4 final at OT and Utd played off the park in the final.

Funny the way Higuain's perfect goal in the first half the other night hardly gets mentioned.

And that on Tuesday United only managed to score via an own goal - not an injustice but pretty lucky nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Mont wrote: »

How about Barca's route to final in 2005-06 and 2008-09?

Milan were robbed against Barca and Chelsea had well leave that.

How about Gerrard dive to win a penalty against Milan in 2005?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

It then took the drawing of lots to determine the final standings in the group. Holland went on to lose to Germany, and Ireland beat Romania on Penalties. If Holland had have went for the win, they'd have ended up second and likely progressing against Romania, while Germany would likely hvae beaten Ireland.

I am pretty sure we wouldnt have qualified for the second round with two points if Quinn hadnt scored.

Oh and Suarez shouldnt be within an asses roar of this thread for the Ghana game.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    How about Barca's route to final in 2005-06 and 2008-09?

Milan were robbed against Barca and Chelsea had well leave that.

How about Gerrard dive to win a penalty against Milan in 2005?

Best to leave it. We know he is looking for rise.

Its plain to see no injustice was done except Bayern were unable to kill off United. Not United fault that in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

2004 Champions League, Man Utd v Porto second leg at OT.

United were winning the game 1-0 and leading the tie on away goals, Paul Scholes then had a perfectly good goal ruled out for offside and Porto ended up going through after the game finished 1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

In saying that football should look at the marketing strategy that rugby implies and bring some of that to LOI.

The Irish rugby team have more in common with the English football and Communist North Korea then people think.

Anyway that's for another thread.

What the actual ****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I agree.

Genius.jpg

Advertisement