Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Greatest Injustice of All Time!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

dfx- wrote: »

As a Barcelona fan, I'll admit there was one genuine claim for a penalty in that game - the Pique handball, the rest were nonsense.
    Drogba one wasn't nonsense. He went down easily but it is a fact that his jersey was being pulled inside the box. It is also a fact that the referee is instructed to award a free kick or penalty when somebody's jersey is being pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Anytime I think back to that game its not the fouls or penalty claims, its Essien's mess of a clearance seconds before Iniesta's goal. Imagine how different things could be, even now, if Essien had made full contact with the ball.

Doesn't negate all the penalty claims, just an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Benimar wrote: »
    The reason all teams were banned was because of the general behaviour of English fans at the time. The English clubs in general were on a 'last warning' and that horrible night was the tipping point.

Liverpool were banned for one extra year at the end of the ban. Probably lucky to only get one extra year, but the blanket ban of English teams was a lot to do with previous incidents as well.

It was tough on Everton as thy had won the CWC in 1985 and would have done well in the European Cup.

Yea, but do you not think a 5 year ban for the other clubs was not bit harsh, they could have banned them for a year and then made them play behind closed doors the following seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

The Greatest Injustice of All Time?

First Torres, then Rafa to Chelsea, killed the team stone dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

bullvine wrote: »
    Yea, but do you not think a 5 year ban for the other clubs was not bit harsh, they could have banned them for a year and then made them play behind closed doors the following seasons.

Maybe 5 years was harsh, but it was actually an indefinite ban that was lifted after 5 years. At the time there really wasn't any option but to ban all English clubs as, although obviously Heysel was the most infamous and awful incident, it was only one of many instances of rioting/violence involving fans of English clubs and its National Team.

In fact, the English FA had already banned its clubs from playing in Europe a couple of days before UEFA did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

bullvine wrote: »
    It would not really have worked for the away legs.

Trouble makers will always be able to source tickets.

In fact, I feel that being locked out from a home leg would have made them more determined to cause trouble in the away leg.

Very harsh on Everton though, I feel they were a racing cert for the '86 European Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Dundalk being denied promotion in 2006 despite beating Waterford in the Promotion/Relegation playoff game. Farcical.

208938_462223800467946_2036363569_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

The Greatest Injustice of All Time?

First Torres, then Rafa to Chelsea, killed the team stone dead

I'd argue that Chelsea's policy of continuously overspending and sacking managers on a whim, which has, in your own words, left the team stone dead, is more akin to one of the greatest justices of all time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Pighead wrote: »
    Drogba one wasn't nonsense. He went down easily but it is a fact that his jersey was being pulled inside the box. It is also a fact that the referee is instructed to award a free kick or penalty when somebody's jersey is being pulled.

Ok so, one and a half penalty shouts. You could see why it might be given and why not given how 'easily' he went down. It's not really an injustice.

Rovers were denied a goal and a win in Oriel Park 10-15 years ago after Derek Treacy put the ball through a hole in the side of the net...now that's an injustice by comparison..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭skinny90

United vs Portsmouth fa cup semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

THFC wrote: »
    Wow is right. Possible the most biased post I've seen here in a long while. We won't mention the hacking Spain received in the final, how MVB should have been sent off (about 4 times throughout the tournament actually), how Robben should have been sent off for kicking the ball away after he was flagged for offside (already on a yellow) and along with a host of other shocking challenges from possibly the most negative (in a thuggery sense) display of football I've seen in a major final. I may as well give Nigel Kung-Foo De Jong a mention while I'm at it. The Dutch were lucky they didn't finish with 8 men, never mind 10.

On a related but different note, I thought the booing that Webb received after the final when he received his plaque or whatever was quite unjustified. Personally, I thought he did the best he could in extremely difficult circumstances. And I know it obviously pales in significance to footballing matters, in fact it's pretty much irrelevant really, but I feel it deserves to be mentioned all the same.

The point is that Spain shouldn't even have made it to the final. Before the final Spain's opponents were basically robbed by the refs and FIFA.

Too many people are biased towards Spain. Netherlands basically played the same way against Uruguay but few said anything. The ones who did were ridiculed as being bitter or were told "Uruguay deserved it". South Korea in 2002 was mentioned here a few times here and on other sites for getting biased calls yet Spain received received biased calls in most of the matches and yet the few who bring it up are called biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

skinny90 wrote: »
    United vs Portsmouth fa cup semi final

? Quarter final.

No injustice there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Van Persies Sending off in the nou camp for Barcelona , getting a 2nd yellow for kicking the ball away(havin a shot) was ****ing ridiculous when we were just coming back into the game,

Killed our chances stone dead, Was ****ing gutted that night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Van Persies Sending off in the nou camp for Barcelona , getting a 2nd yellow for kicking the ball away(havin a shot) was ****ing ridiculous when we were just coming back into the game,

Killed our chances stone dead, Was ****ing gutted that night

I was too.

The annoying thing about that ... and that Utd fans will feel for the next year or so (or perhaps until May when they win something to soften the blow), is that I've seen exactly the same thing countless times since and a yellow is never given. Ball played over the top, whistle goes - ah sure I'll have a shot for the laugh - no card. But when it really counts, when it really matters, when you're knocking out Barca at home, the ref changes the rules that you've been playing by all your life. Utd fans will see similar challenges to Nani's, and regardless of the stupid debate of whether it was a red or not (it wasn't), the main problem is that it won't happen in those cases.

But sure why would you want to leave things the way they are when two clubs are involved in their biggest game of the year? Of course you'd change the interpretation of the rules for that night only - just for the craic like.

And this involves the Barca/Chelsea game too. You could argue till the cows come home about ball to hand or is a shirt pull or hands to the face an automatic penalty, but the reality is that they were the week before, and they were the week after but for some reason they weren't that night - that's the injustice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Carling Cup Final 2010
    Vidic was the last man and took down Agbonlahor, a penalty was awarded and Vidic only received a yellow, he should of been sent off http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKmkq5L1vsY

World Cup 2010 Eng Vs Germany
    Lampard's goal was not awarded despite cameras showing it was clearly over the line.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV4nc_sjW9Y

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

DazMarz wrote: »
    The Hand of Henry is also up there. That match was a dead-heat going into the final stages and who knows what would have happened had Henry not handled the ball and if France hadn't scored? It was another incident of terrible injustice. But in a way, justice was sort of done by the spectacular fashion with which the French imploded in South Africa and the Mexican fans unfurling banners when they beat France "Esto es por Irlanda" (That was for Ireland).

Anyone got a picture of this? I'd love to see it.

(Great thread btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

1991 European Cup Final between Red Star Belgrade and Marseille. Not an injustice, per sé, but from how Red Star played all game, they went looking to take the game to a penalty shootout, and that is what they got. And they won it on penalties. From what I've heard, this was far worse than any modern examples of parking the bus (see Barca v. Inter, Barca v. Chelsea, etc.). This was a sheer disgrace. At no point did Red Star make a meaningful attack and at no point did they attempt to "play the game". Again, not an injustice, perhaps, more astute tactics on how to smother superior opposition. But the reason I mention this one is that I've heard it was just simply disgraceful, moreso than any other "park the bus" examples in football.

The whole game is up here if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm-b-oEqVSM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2zZt44Phvo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nisfVZkGucE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN_c_DYaNos

I watched it. Red Star are playing to nullify the game with a fairly standard sweeper formation/tactics and typically had 10 men in their own half when Marseille were in possession. They're not trying to play much and were clearly planning to draw Marseille in and then score a breakaway goal with the pace of either Pancev or Prosinecki. On occasion they move forward in numbers as a team , but not too often.

It was certainly negative, but the method wasn't that similar to the park the bus style we see often nowadays against the likes of Barcelona. If anything I'd accuse the modern stuff of being even more negative..

I don't believe (from what I saw anyway) that Red Star were looking to "take it to penalties" either (at least not in first 90mins). They had a few shots on goal themselves and were certainly trying/hoping to win the game (albeit not in the 'beautiful' way).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

gosplan wrote: »
    I was too.

The annoying thing about that ... and that Utd fans will feel for the next year or so (or perhaps until May when they win something to soften the blow), is that I've seen exactly the same thing countless times since and a yellow is never given. Ball played over the top, whistle goes - ah sure I'll have a shot for the laugh - no card. But when it really counts, when it really matters, when you're knocking out Barca at home, the ref changes the rules that you've been playing by all your life. Utd fans will see similar challenges to Nani's, and regardless of the stupid debate of whether it was a red or not (it wasn't), the main problem is that it won't happen in those cases.

The other thing that really annoyed me about that was the fact that he probably didn't genuinely think the whistle had gone. The stadium was very noisy and there were fuckers blowing whistles in the crowd all game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

roanoke wrote: »
    The whole game is up here if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm-b-oEqVSM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2zZt44Phvo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nisfVZkGucE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN_c_DYaNos

I watched it. Red Star are playing to nullify the game with a fairly standard sweeper formation/tactics and typically had 10 men in their own half when Marseille were in possession. They're not trying to play much and were clearly planning to draw Marseille in and then score a breakaway goal with the pace of either Pancev or Prosinecki. On occasion they move forward in numbers as a team , but not too often.

It was certainly negative, but the method wasn't that similar to the park the bus style we see often nowadays against the likes of Barcelona. If anything I'd accuse the modern stuff of being even more negative..

I don't believe (from what I saw anyway) that Red Star were looking to "take it to penalties" either (at least not in first 90mins). They had a few shots on goal themselves and were certainly trying/hoping to win the game (albeit not in the 'beautiful' way).

They won the European Cup so I doubt the players, management or fans could care less how they did it. People seem to forget sometimes that to be a good side you have to know how to defend and you have to analyse the opposition and set up in such a way as to give your team the best chance to win. Red Star did that and they won the European Cup. I'd rather my team played defensive football, to their strengths and won something than played 'good' football and got beaten in a quarter or semi final.

Rangers in '08 almost pulled it off in the UEFA Cup. They played very defensively and in a manner that Walter Smith felt gave them the best chance to win the tournament. Had they gone out and tried to play 'beautiful football' then I'm fairly sure that Sporting and Fiorentina both would have beaten them comfortably. Ultimately, they lost in the final but they got much further than most would have expected because they played to their strengths.

Roanoke, this isn't necessarily directed at you, I just quoted your post to indicate the discussion that I was continuing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Esse85 wrote: »
    Carling Cup Final 2010
    Vidic was the last man and took down Agbonlahor, a penalty was awarded and Vidic only received a yellow, he should of been sent off http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKmkq5L1vsY

World Cup 2010 Eng Vs Germany
    Lampard's goal was not awarded despite cameras showing it was clearly over the line.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV4nc_sjW9Y

That was just to cancel out Wembley 1966. Matters sorted ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Regarding England V Germany in 66.

Was there ever evidence to suggest ball did or did not cross gone line?

Or will we just never be certain.

Abraham Zapruder was at the game. He took this footage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I think, this is as close as we can get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Surely the greatest injustice is that people are paid over 1m a month to be average, and the likes of doctors, nurses and people who try to make a difference get a fraction of that.

Cheers for those Roanoke and Lars.

Going by the footage and picture most of ball did not even cross the line never mind the whole thing.

I hope the Queen looked after that Russian linesman well after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Bray or Bohs a few years ago, lad volleyed into the net it hit a hoarding and flew back out. Ref and lino said it hit the post.

Cracker of a goal too, cant find it on youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Surely the greatest injustice is that people are paid over 1m a month to be average, and the likes of doctors, nurses and people who try to make a difference get a fraction of that.

That's a bit naive. It's the outcome of the basic law of supply and demand

And I don't buy this nonsense of doctors being in that profession to make a difference. The vast majority are in it for selfish reason, which isn't a criticism, its a challenging job with high level of renumeration. That's what the primary attraction is for most and rightfully so

The sooner Goal line Technology comes in the better.

V3PjngC.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Unbelievable. Video of it here

• Advertisement

Fair play to the ref who missed that! It's not only over the line but appears to be almost halfway to the back of the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Fair play to the ref who missed that! It's not only over the line but appears to be almost halfway to the back of the net.

I didnt realise it was from a free kick!....the linesman on the far side of the field has a clear view of the goal and should see its across the line...awful decision not to give it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It's a terrible desicion alright but a linesman has enough to be watching as it is. It's so easy sort this problem out.

I would not blame officials either. They have to be certain. I say they were sure themselves but they have to be 100% correct.

Hopefully the Technology comes in soon though. Gone beyond a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭G1032

Rooney's dive which led to the penalty that ultimately ended Arsenal's 49 game unbeaten run.

G1032 wrote: »
    Rooney's dive which led to the penalty that ultimately ended Arsenal's 49 game unbeaten run.

Pires' dive the previous season against Portsmouth which would have stopped the run before it even got going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Barry Clancy's red card in the 2011 FAI Cup final.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Suarez handball that stopped a certain goal which ended with a missed penalty and Ghana were robbed of becoming the first African team to make the semi-finals of the World Cup.

You know what's funny. The free kick that led to that pandemonium in the box was gained from a dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

G1032 wrote: »

Clear cut penalty in the same game on Ronaldo that was not given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

The greatest injustice of all time you say...

No thread on Boards about the horror that was this!:pac:

The book should be thrown at Rio, poor aul Torres and he doing nothing to Rio.
    Injustice I say, Injustice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Surprised Rio would do something like that with all his experience. He's a lucky man no one saw it.

I wonder is the severity of the incident lessened because its Torres? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Abraham Zapruder was at the game. He took this footage.

BACK AND TO THE LEFT! BACK AND TO THE LEFT!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

764dak wrote: »
    Spain winning the 2010 World Cup is an injustice.

Villa should have been sent off against Honduras for punching a player. FIFA should have suspended him after reviewing but they did not. Villa scored against Chile and Torres dived to get Chilean player sent off (Chile outplayed them with 10 men). Villa’s goal against Portugal was offside and a Portuguese player was sent off because a Spanish player pretended to get hit. Paraguay’s goal was wrongly disallowed and Paraguay’s missed penalty should have been retaken for encroachment. Germany should have gotten a penalty against Spain.
    Iniesta should have been sent off against the Netherlands. Puyol should have been sent off also. Netherlands were twice denied clear corners (one in regular time and the other in the second extra time period). There was a clear foul on Elia that was ignored which led to the counterattack that led to Spain’s winning goal. They only scored 8 goals in 7 games. Wow, powerful Spain.

Did Franco **** your wife or something?

Jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I fail to see how anyone can think that Spain's victory in any of the major international tournaments recently is an injustice. I really don't see how.

Euro 2008, World Cup 2010, Euro 2012. They play excellent football, are very consistent (a few blips here and there, but nothing major) and have probably the strongest squad in the world (Germany might be stronger in all positions, with Spain's defence being slightly more suspect, but Spain's wealth in attack and midfield and their goalkeeper negates that).

It would not surprise anyone, I think, if they were to lift the World Cup again next summer and set an unprecedented run of 4 successive major international tournaments. World Cup 2014 may just be the swansong of some of their big names, but the wealth that they have in their youth systems means they are likely to continue to be a huge force in world football.

While I found myself feeling dirty for secretly admiring the approach the Dutch took to the final 3 years ago (barring the karate skills of De Jong; that was just sickening), it would have been more of an injustice had the Dutch won the World Cup instead of Spain. Up until the final, the Dutch had been skilful and tough, but rarely out and out dirty. In the final, they tried to batter Spain off the pitch and ultimately failed. Casillas also deserved huge plaudits for being so sharp off his line to deny Arjen Robben twice in one-on-ones.

Spain are consistently proving to be a team that rightfully inspires real fear in others, and it is no injustice that they are reaping the rewards. For my money, the only teams close to touching them at the moment would be the Germans and possibly Brazil. But even then, Germany have had a real habit of bottling it at the last hurdle recently (semi-finals or runners-up seems to be their speciality for the last 10 years or so) and Brazil have a lot of young players that are quite inexperienced at the top international level (ie. the World Cup).

Spain's recent dominance is not an injustice. No way.

• Advertisement

I fail to see how anyone can think that Spain's victory in any of the major international tournaments recently is an injustice. I really don't see how.

Euro 2008, World Cup 2010, Euro 2012. They play excellent football, are very consistent (a few blips here and there, but nothing major) and have probably the strongest squad in the world (Germany might be stronger in all positions, with Spain's defence being slightly more suspect, but Spain's wealth in attack and midfield and their goalkeeper negates that).

It would not surprise anyone, I think, if they were to lift the World Cup again next summer and set an unprecedented run of 4 successive major international tournaments. World Cup 2014 may just be the swansong of some of their big names, but the wealth that they have in their youth systems means they are likely to continue to be a huge force in world football.

While I found myself feeling dirty for secretly admiring the approach the Dutch took to the final 3 years ago (barring the karate skills of De Jong; that was just sickening), it would have been more of an injustice had the Dutch won the World Cup instead of Spain. Up until the final, the Dutch had been skilful and tough, but rarely out and out dirty. In the final, they tried to batter Spain off the pitch and ultimately failed. Casillas also deserved huge plaudits for being so sharp off his line to deny Arjen Robben twice in one-on-ones.

Spain are consistently proving to be a team that rightfully inspires real fear in others, and it is no injustice that they are reaping the rewards. For my money, the only teams close to touching them at the moment would be the Germans and possibly Brazil. But even then, Germany have had a real habit of bottling it at the last hurdle recently (semi-finals or runners-up seems to be their speciality for the last 10 years or so) and Brazil have a lot of young players that are quite inexperienced at the top international level (ie. the World Cup).

When they're found to be taking EPO and the likes them winning those trophies will be an injustice anyways ;)

Did Franco **** your wife or something?

Jesus

Why do people think of South Korea reaching the semis in 2002 is an injustice? That's because Korea received favourable calls in matches. Spain received favourable calls in matches against Honduras, Chile, Portugal, Paraguay and Germany in 2010. Spain shouldn't have made it to the final.

People criticize S. Korea for getting favourable calls in 2002 but when Spain gets favourable calls they say ignore them and say "they play beautifully; they deserve the World Cup".

Didn't you see some of the bone crunching challenges the Dutch made against Uruguay? The Dutch played the same way against Uruguay but people ignored it.

Both Netherlands and Spain shouldn't have made the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Vidic not getting a red card in 2010 Carling Cup final. villa fans are still fuming

Brazil vs Belgium in the 2002 World Cup. The referee is a Brazilian fan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement