Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexico, Beliza & Guatemala

• 06-03-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking at Mexico, Belize and Guatemala with a a G adventure tour. Just wondering has anybody traveled to these locations? Is it safe? Would you recommend it?

Any info much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SARAHCA

Any of those tour company trips would be very safe I'd imagine? Better than travelling it on your own anyways! The tour leaders will have in depth knowledge of each country and area you will be visiting and will be able to give you all the tips! Those locations look amazing as well by the way, you lucky duck!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Wicklowleaid

Hey, I was chatting to someone at the weekend who did a G adventure tour in Ecuador, she couldntspeak highlyenough about the tour guides and group. Also she told me that if you contact them you can find out kind of the age profile of the group before you decide to book, that might help make sure you get what you are looking for. Im looking at doing the volcano tour with g adventures through nicauragua and costa rica this summer! Keep us updated with how you get on and good luck with it enjoy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Yea, generally if you're going with a tour it's very safe as they wouln't go somewhere not safe.
    If you get a chance I highly recommend the Ragamuffin Tour in Belize. You may not get a chance if you're sticking with the tour group though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Empsey

Thanks guys really appreciate the reply. Everybody is telling me that this area is unsafe and I am surprised as would not have expected a tour company to operate in a dangerous area. I think I am going to book anyway. I have been quoted €2500 for three weeks, flights, accom and travel expenses which i think is very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 teacher1

Your plans sound very exotic. Lucky group of ye heading off, wish I was one of ye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Wicklowleaid

Sure with the teacher holidays ya could make it work teacher1 ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Empsey wrote: »
    Thanks guys really appreciate the reply. Everybody is telling me that this area is unsafe and I am surprised as would not have expected a tour company to operate in a dangerous area. I think I am going to book anyway. I have been quoted €2500 for three weeks, flights, accom and travel expenses which i think is very reasonable.

Many people here 'far away land' and immediately think 'unsafe'. Go have fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Many people here 'far away land' and immediately think 'unsafe'. Go have fun

completely agree with this, I travelled through central and south america and never had any major problems, the majority off people that told me that these places were dangerous and unsafe have never been anywhere near the countries, as long as you have common sense and keep your wits about you you'll be grand.
    ps have a blast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Empsey

Thanks everybody! We booked and are super excited about! I completely agree that these are people who have never been there. We will take care and have common sense. I hear its 31 degrees at that time of year. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SARAHCA

Have an amazing time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

That's a very good price, who did you book with if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Guatemala was quite ropey in my experience, I only ran into one issue myself (in Antigua, really weird place one the sun goes down, don't be out alone) but also met many people who had scrapes. Lago de Atitlan sticks out in my mind as a hotspot.

Belize City is an absolute dump but I doubt you will spend any time there.

All that said - if you're in a guided group you will be absolutely fine. And Tikal and Flores are absolutely stunning and very safe.

Just don't decide to go to Honduras, it being murder capital of the world and all. Its ****ing scary there, I browned my trousers a few times. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

i did a yucatan peninsula, guatemala and belize trip a few years ago and found it safe except for Belize which is very dodgy (mainland, islands are fine)

lake atilan, antigua, flores/tikal, caye caulker were my highlights.

Advertisement