Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when do I see my GP?

Options
  • 06-03-2013 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

Myself and my partner have been trying to conceive for 2 months. I know we haven't been trying that long but I turned 37 a couple of months ago and I know they say to see your GP if you are trying unsuccessfully for 6 months if you are over 35 but I'm wondering if we should carry on trying for 6 months before going to the doctor or given my age should I go to my GP now for tests to see if my hormones etc. are all in order and whether I'm ovulating or not?

My periods are quite regular and for the last 2 years (since I started keeping an eye on them) they have been always 25 or 26 days. I am also using the clearblue fertility monitor for the last 4 months and I am getting a peak every cycle. In one way I am thinking I should find out if everything is ok so that I don't waste any time if it turns out there is a problem, but on the other hand I am terrified of being told bad news! Of course there may not be anything wrong and I am just putting myself under pressure too soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Hi there,

Welcome to trying to conceive.

Generally your GP would ask you to wait till you have been 6 months if you are over 35 and 12 months if you are under, this gives you a real chance (each month you have about a 25% chance of getting pregnant (assuming normal factor, ovulation is taking place, good sperm count etc)). 2 months really is a very short time. If you are getting a positive then I would say you are ovulating an have a good chance naturally. I understand you are concerned about the age factor, but the best advice I can give if there is no previous know issues is to relax (believe me I know that is hard to hear) and enjoy trying.

Keep taking your folic acid and tracking your cycle.

Best of luck pet xx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

kuzis I may be in the minority here as most people rave about the cb fertility monitor but I personally found the cb digi ovulation sticks better as instead of getting 3-4 peak days you get a smiley face for 1-2 days. I found using them helped to narrow down to the most fertile window. I also had a regular cycle.

I bought mine on amazon as found them the cheapest.

I know 2 months seems like an age when you're ttcing but it's best to wait until 5-6 months before going to your gp. It can take a few months to get used to your fertile time and dtd at the right time.

Also going to the gp adds another layer of stress so it's best to relax and use these months to keep trying and have fun doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kuzis

Thank you so much to both of you for taking the time to reply. I think I will try to relax for the moment and try not to get so obsessed with it. I promised myself I wouldn't get obsessed and 2 cycles later I am starting already! Regarding the clearblue fertility monitor, I was very excited to get peaks every month but I have since found out that it doesn't definitely mean you have ovulated. It's still a bit reassuring to get peaks though so I'm happy about that part. We will give it another few months anyway and hopefully we will be lucky.

Thanks again for the advice!

Advertisement