Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dashboard Camera Advice

Options
  • 06-03-2013 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi.

This has probably been discussed before on here but I searched and couldn't find relevant stuff.

I'm thinking of buying a dashboard camera. I don't want to spend a fortune on it.

My criteria is that I don't want a bunch of cables running all over the windscreen area/dash. I would also like that the camera keeps recording over previous footage unless there is a crash and then I can choose to save the footage or it will save it automatically.

Does anyone have any experience with them?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

You might be trying to be helpful kceire, but you just directed him to a 79 page thread thats all over the place by now.
    Anyone who's bought one recently, might want to post up their experiences and links to sites.
    Don't think theres any need for a hundred posts of Russian car crashes in this thread either!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭rb25

kceire wrote: »

Thanks. Should have known there'd be a huge thread on it but it never appeared when I searched. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

eBay item has been removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Bought one of these on eBay recently, brand new, €180. excellent night and day quality. and I wired it behind the dash so no cables.

http://www.blackvuehd.co.uk/BlackVue_DR380G_HD.php

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

rb25 wrote: »
    Hi.

This has probably been discussed before on here but I searched and couldn't find relevant stuff.

I'm thinking of buying a dashboard camera. I don't want to spend a fortune on it.

My criteria is that I don't want a bunch of cables running all over the windscreen area/dash. I would also like that the camera keeps recording over previous footage unless there is a crash and then I can choose to save the footage or it will save it automatically.

Does anyone have any experience with them?
    I have one new in box,built in battery takes sd card..records in hd..screen for viewing...camera rotates 180'..70e if your interested

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I use "DailyRoads Voyager" on my Samsung Galaxy S3 - Free App, I just had to buy a holder for it, got an iGrip for €20.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

bought an app called witness for iphone 89c does pretty much what youd need.

• Advertisement

shooter88 wrote: »
    I have one new in box,built in battery takes sd card..records in hd..screen for viewing...camera rotates 180'..70e if your interested

Which one do you have shooter88? The blackvuehd?

maceocc2 wrote: »
    Bought one of these on eBay recently, brand new, €180. excellent night and day quality. and I wired it behind the dash so no cables.

Did you wire it up to the roof light maceocc2?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

maceocc2 wrote: »

Also very interested in how you wired it up.
    Don't want a load of cables cluttering the dash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Don't understand this, just run the wire from your cig lighter socket to the cam using the overhead plastic covering at the top of your window borders.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I bought a SmartCam 2 a few months back and its a pain in the backside. Motion Detect was unreliable, very poor battery life, randomly stopped recording and randomly turned on and its stopped recording now. The seller on eBay hasn't replied to my messages. Frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Sully wrote: »
    I bought a SmartCam 2 a few months back and its a pain in the backside. Motion Detect was unreliable, very poor battery life, randomly stopped recording and randomly turned on and its stopped recording now. The seller on eBay hasn't replied to my messages. Frustrating!

I got a SmartCam 1 (the 720p one) and it actually works great and is very reliable.
    Then I got Smartcam 2, and I must agree that it's got some problems.
    1. I never tried Motion detecion.
    2. Full HD mode also didn't work for me, as my SD card is supposably too slow (even though it says class 10). But this might be genuinely due to SD card, but anyway - in FullHD mode it would consume horrendous amount of data. In 720p mode, 8GB card is just enough for 1h recording. IMHO that's very low.
    3. It indeed sometimes stops for no reason. Sometimes it starts and then stops instantly after 15 seconds.
    4. I'm not sure about battery life, as I'm only using it when driving so it's plugged in to lighter socket.

In general it's just normal chineese camera of rather average build quality with few faults, but with quite reasonable picture quality, and with extraordianry picture quality during night driving (within that price range).

Smartcam 1 though IMHO was much better, less buggy and cheaper. I think I got mine for 60 euro delivered.
    I also got mine Smartcam 2 for about the same much, as seller gave me discount due to fact he is using my video on his ebay site, but I can see now they are over 100 euro delivered to Ireland, so honestly I rather wouldn't pay that much for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Exactly hiw Gurramok described. Used a couple of lock connectors to tap into the cig lighter, ran wires over to the glove box, added an inline fuse and up into the camera.

Wiring into the light is tricky since the lights switch on and off under certain circumstances, which if not wired correctly will cause the camera to go on and off with the lights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Chippy01

My OH got me one of these http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=1584977&pk=8F111 for Christmas.
    In fact it's her review on the webpage.
    I had a few recording/non recording issues due to a faulty SD card, but to be fair MicksGarage changed and upgraded the SD card from a 16GB to a 32GB (foc) and it's been working perfectly ever since.

• Advertisement

Chippy01 wrote: »
    My OH got me one of these http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=1584977&pk=8F111 for Christmas.
    In fact it's her review on the webpage.
    I had a few recording/non recording issues due to a faulty SD card, but to be fair MicksGarage changed and upgraded the SD card from a 16GB to a 32GB (foc) and it's been working perfectly ever since.

That's exactly Smartcam 2 which I was talking about earlier here.

Advertisement