Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyway to check your essays for plagiarism content prior to submitting them

Options
  • 06-03-2013 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Is there anyway to check your essays for plagiarism percentage prior to submitting them to safe assign?
    Maybe online or something

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Easiest way is to write them entirely yourself and not plagiarise or copy anyone else's work.
    There are ways to do what you ask, and they generally cost money, or are not accessible by the public, or both. Be assured your college will check your work for plagiarism using a series of methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

some of my lecturers allowed us to upload a draft copy to safeassign, and this would show any areas which matched other work. Viper is a good online tool for checking plagiarism also http://www.scanmyessay.com/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Bear in mind that Viper will use your essay commercially if you use them to scan it. If you ever intended to publish or adapt your work, it would already be in the (semi-) public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sivousplait

I think you would know if you plagiarised or not...if you took all your text ad verbatim from a journal article and that journal article section was cited from other texts and you then tried to pass it off as your own, adding your own introduction and conclusion in the essay and that was your only originality to the piece, then you will get done for plagiarism. otherwise you should be ok. if you put proper research into your essay, got a number of different texts, come across as you know what you are talking about in your piece and there is credibility to it, you will be fine.

some program called "grammarly" is coming up as an ad on my screen so you should try that.

good luck.

Advertisement