Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University of Ulster Coleraine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭__oc__

Hey all, just wondering what University of Ulster in Coleraine is like as a college, i.e. the students, lecturers, facilities, atmosphere etc. Is it a good place to study? What about Coleraine town itself?

All in all a fantastic uni. I studied there for 4 years loved it so much got a job in the students union and stayed for another 4 :)
    Students union now isnt great as alot of students live and party in Portstewart. .about 3 miles away from the college right on the coast.
    Coleraine is ok...got a nice few shops but doesnt open very late...and isnt very friendly in some areas..

Couldnt recommend the uni enough you will make friends for life and have some fantastic experiences :) just make sure you like in on campus acc for first year..def the best way to meet people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

__oc__ wrote: »
    All in all a fantastic uni. I studied there for 4 years loved it so much got a job in the students union and stayed for another 4 :)
    Students union now isnt great as alot of students live and party in Portstewart. .about 3 miles away from the college right on the coast.
    Coleraine is ok...got a nice few shops but doesnt open very late...and isnt very friendly in some areas..

Couldnt recommend the uni enough you will make friends for life and have some fantastic experiences :) just make sure you like in on campus acc for first year..def the best way to meet people.

Im in UUC at the minute. love the uni, just its very far away from civilisation!
    The town is good for supermarkets and has a few decent shops but it wouldn't compare to Derry or Newry. My advice: stay on campus first year and Portstewart after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Underworld12

__oc__ wrote: »

Thanks __oc__, I'm glad to hear that! I'm in college in Dublin at the minute but really don't like it. I got an unconditional offer for UU Coleraine in September, so I'm seriously considering accepting it. Well my hometown is approx an hour away from Coleraine so I'll more than likely travel in and out every day... Thanks for the info!

What's the nightlife like? I'm guessing from what ye're saying there's not much of it in Coleraine, but in Portstewart?

Thanks __oc__, I'm glad to hear that! I'm in college in Dublin at the minute but really don't like it. I got an unconditional offer for UU Coleraine in September, so I'm seriously considering accepting it. Well my hometown is approx an hour away from Coleraine so I'll more than likely travel in and out every day... Thanks for the info!

If you're coming from Cookstown direction that's not too bad for travelling. The nightlife is Anchor, Portstewart or Kellys, Portrush.

• Advertisement

If you're coming from Cookstown direction that's not too bad for travelling. The nightlife is Anchor, Portstewart or Kellys, Portrush.
    I'm actually coming from the opposite side across the border, Letterkenny. And thanks for the info, as long as there's some nightlife I'm happy! :D

I'm actually coming from the opposite side across the border, Letterkenny. And thanks for the info, as long as there's some nightlife I'm happy! :D

I travelled from Newry for one semester and it was tough going. I was hitting Belfast just before 9am every day! Bad time to be commuting.

There are a few Donegal cars in the car park every day so I'm sure youre not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

Hey guys, figured I'd join the discussion since I got an unconditional to Coleraine there not so long ago.

Went and visited the campus, well impressed with the facilities, bit of a pain in the ass getting to and from there since I'm from Cavan but definitely considering it.

Just a couple of questions:
    - Is there any chance of getting casual work in Coleraine, Portrush, or Portstewart, like bar work or whatever?
    - If you're from the South what kind of reception would you get if, say, you're out having a few drinks and someone hears your accent?

Gott wrote: »
    Hey guys, figured I'd join the discussion since I got an unconditional to Coleraine there not so long ago.

Went and visited the campus, well impressed with the facilities, bit of a pain in the ass getting to and from there since I'm from Cavan but definitely considering it.

Just a couple of questions:
    - Is there any chance of getting casual work in Coleraine, Portrush, or Portstewart, like bar work or whatever?
    - If you're from the South what kind of reception would you get if, say, you're out having a few drinks and someone hears your accent?

Congrats on the offer Gott!

I've only visited the uni and Coleraine twice myself and looking forward to starting in September, sorry I can't answer your question regarding finding a job in the area, I'm wondering the same thing too. But yeah, the facilities seem great!

As to your question about your accent, I wouldn't worry about that at all if I were you. I'm at college in Dublin at the minute, but being from Donegal my accent is obviously completely different to the Dubs. It bothered me at the start, but apparently people love the Donegal accent (don't ask me why...?). Anyway, yeah the Cavan accent is great so I'd say you're ok on that one. Besides, there'll be people from all over the country and abroad starting at the uni, I can't imagine the Cavan accent would be too much for the locals to handle! :D

Advertisement