Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAO any fellow cat nuts!

• 07-03-2013 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

There is a cat show going on in bewleys hotel in Dublin airport on the 16th/17th of march!! A great opportunity to see some unusual breeds, talk to cat folk and let your inner crazy cat lady out in a safe environment, plus you might sneak a peak and my fuzzkins as there is a household pet category! I think enteres are open for another few days if anyone else would be interested :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

St. Cat Tricks Show....brilliant name! Googling that and " Bewleys" will get ya there :pac:

Ah sure here ya go,may or may not be allowed linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Thanks, thought it was too late!
    We may try bringing Mouse, anyone know if a bald patch from neutering would disqualify her from the moggie section?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

It wouldn't disqualify her, just the judges won't be as keen on her coat, but it's all just a bit of fun anyway :)

I didnt know you could enter your cat if it was neutered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Don't need to put my gang(3) into any cat show! Ones a queen ones a princess and the other is the ugly sister ;-) .... Best of luck and I hope ye have a good day at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

There are 3 sections in the ped section of a cat show. Kitten/neuter/adult.
    The neuters are judged from the same standard of points as the adults (unneutered). No reason not to show the neuters if they match the standard of points and are not breeding cats.
    The household pets have to be neutered for showing unless its a kitten (under 8 or 9 months depending on the governing body).

Is the shave from spay on the side or tummy? It doesnt affect judging if its tummy but not sure about the side as it is so visable. Generally tho in the household pet section the judge will look for personality, a cat who is confident and willing to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Should have known earlier, now I'm in work both days :(

It's a side wound, done almost 4 weeks ago, but she's long haired so its very noticeable, not huge though, vet said he shaved as little as possible as she's so pretty:)

I think go for it! You will be watching the judging so if the judge the judge doesnt realise what happened they will call you up and you can explain that she was spayed before you entered her. Cant see it making much of a difference in that section tbh. If she was a maine coon in the ped section it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭soupdrinker

Hi just wondering would this be worth going to as a spectator? Would there be many cats each day? Which day would be best to visit? Would there be enough going on to keep you entertained for the day?

• Advertisement

I think entries close tomorrow night at midnight.

I went as a spectator last year and to be fair at the TICA show it is good to go as you get to watch the judging and the explain the good and bad points of the cats, it's really good, and also a good opportunity to talk to breeders and exhibitors :) I'm not sure how many cats there are as I don't think the final count is out yet

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

Aw i would Love to take one of my kitties along to this :(

Naive question but what is actually involved for the cat?
    How long does the day usually last? Is it a bit like a dog show where they are walked around an obstacle course etc? :o

Whats involved for the cat is sitting around looking pretty :P It's not like a dog show in that you don't walk them around a ring etc. They sit in their benching cage, then when their number is called you bring them up to the judging ring where they are put in another cage, the judge then takes them out one by one and examines them, plays with them etc then they go back in their cage, then awards are given! The day usually lasts from around 8 in the morning (they have to be checked by a vet before entry to the show hall) untill roughly 5 in the evening, though the spectators aren't allowed in for all that time!

Just a reminder this is on tomorrow and Sunday if you guys have nothing better to do :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Dying to hear how you get on.

Why not come up and see for yourself?:P there isn't many house hold pets entered so hopefully we will get something :D

Best of luck, we didn't enter in the end, it's a bit of a long day and Mouse has developed an intermittent limp!
    Can't find any injury so think she's just strained it, limp shows when she gets up after a long rest.
    I have parade duties tomorrow or we'd be there to watch.
    Don't forget photo's!

The way the show worked today was that there was 4 judges all judging seperately, so today cream won second best house hold pet three times, and third best once. Peach won 3rd best once (cream beat her!) and best house hold pet three times so we are all delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Sounds like fun! Would have loved to go but working all weekend. I can imagine Smudge or Sparkle in the competition... Probably scratch the judge or something!! :o:o:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Congratulations Sillymango. Your cats sound far more co-operative than mine. I'd never get Jazzy into the cat carrier,its like a war trying to get him into one,and Felix would eat anyone who tried to look in his ears or at his bottom:D

I was surprised how well my guys reacted, Cream gave out a bit to the last judge but other than that they were great! I kind if had a fair idea of how they would react from any time we have been to the vets before. There was some very uncooperative cats though, it's such a shame! I hope more people start entering the house hold pet categories though, it's a great fun little competition :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Are they being very ~Diva-ish~ today? :D

Ill have to see when we get home as we are driving back to Clare at the moment, but it the hotel room this morning they were definitely letting us know they are now show cats (especially at half 5 when cream demanded cuddles by licking my elbow!) ill upload pictures later when we get home too, got so many lovely ones :D and I got to cuddle a beautiful Sphynx boy and I got to cuddle the cats of the poster on here Themadhouse, her Maine coon who is a giant! Never realised how heavy they were! And my mom wanted to steal her British blue kitten :) I'm already looking forward to our next show :)

Okay this may take a few posts for all the photos, so sorry in advance :D

Peach likes hotel room life

adventuretime_zps8024a89d.jpg

A looong british blue baby!

again_zpsea67a996.jpg

A looong bengal baby!

bengal3_zps745c860f.jpg

Having a climb

bengalclimb_zps7e489218.jpg

Giving out to the judge

bengalgivingout_zps1dc832df.jpg

Another British :)

britishblue_zpse1e7c694.jpg

Cream being examined in ring 1!

cj4p2_zps7cdb3f38.jpg

Our cages, decorated for the day thats in it :)

cages_zps98640847.jpg

Cream in ring 1 again

cj4p3_zps2e23eecc.jpg

Cream with the fish bed won won in the raffle :D

Creamfishbed_zps8b99bb34.jpg

Cream in ring 4!

Creamjudge1pt2_zps4691b659.jpg

Cream in ring 4 again

Creamjudge1_zpsc5142273.jpg

Cream in ring 2 :)

creamjudge2pt2_zpsfdae795d.jpg

Cream in ring 3!

creamjudge3_zps41322069.jpg

Cream in ring 1 again

creamjudge4_zpsb4fe193a.jpg

Cream having a cuddle with the judge in ring 2!

creamsnugglingjudge_zps30598ead.jpg

A Don Sphynx with her owner!

donsphynx_zpsd0772d05.jpg

Cream having his face examined!

facecheck_zps66f5ea1f.jpg

Peach in ring 2!

pj2p3_zpscfb82511.jpg

Having a look at Peaches tail in ring 1!

pj4p3_zps7fc025b0.jpg

Peach having a cuddle in ring 4

peachjudge1pt2_zps2b8f9e84.jpg

Being examined in ring 4

peachjudge1pt3_zps264d27d7.jpg

And again

peachjudge1_zps65c0494b.jpg

Peach in ring 2!

peachjudge2pt2_zps2ed5fe80.jpg

Having a look in her eyes

peachjudge2_zps7c832f86.jpg

Peach in ring 3!

peachjudge3_zps6b6aad4a.jpg

Peach in ring 1

peachjudge4_zps5e39448d.jpg

Peach in ring 1 again

pj4p3_zpse69d8b1a.jpg

Themadhouse's british blue baby :)

rose_zpsc9c07818.jpg

Cream in the show cat pose :D

showcatpose_zpsf5e69824.jpg

Another household pet Siri, who wasn't too happy about being shown unfortunately but she gave a good performance in ring one!

siriclimb_zpsdbab407b.jpg

Naptime! They got lonely in their separate cages so we put them together for a cuddle :)

sleepover_zpse8efa3ae.jpg

My mom took the double bed, I took the single. The cats decided to squish me instead of sleeping in the big bed!

sleeps_zpse32ba4cf.jpg

Peach in ring 2 :)

standingj2_zps040ddc77.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

wow, my cats would be off and gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

ISDW wrote: »
    wow, my cats would be off and gone.
    None of them judges would have faces if they touched Lucyfur.

Advertisement