Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescribed Medicines

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Heading up to Newry next week as I have a year prescription for meds and hope I can get a few months at once rather than going up every month. Thanks for all the info on med prices in NI v ROI. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bebop wrote: »
    Why cant Irish Pharmacies buy from the same wholesalers?

Because they're not licensed here, pure and simple.

Parallel importation happens for drugs that are particularly expensive but due to the cost of getting that imported drug licensed for distribution here they are rarely more than about 15% cheaper.

If Boots, Tesco or Celesio - Unicare/DocMorris/Lloyds, who are I believe actually the largest chain in the country - could buy drugs in their home countries and bring them over legally, they would. No unwillingness to "rock the boat", just compliance with the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

maringo wrote: »
    Heading up to Newry next week as I have a year prescription for meds and hope I can get a few months at once rather than going up every month. Thanks for all the info on med prices in NI v ROI. :D

Let us know how much you will save if you can?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Yes, medicines are much cheaper in NI, especially if you go for the generic medicines like their own 'calpols' and 'nurofens'. They are equally as good and service is similar to here aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

muirsheen wrote: »
    Let us know how much you will save if you can?

Will do but i'll be away for a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sing_dumb

Hi, has anybody bought Champix (the anti-smoking tablets) in Newry? I've just been qouted €190.40 for my prescription in Boots, Tallaght!!! That's expensive. Would it be any cheaper up North. Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭golfbgud

Is there a limit on what quantity of items you can purchase up North?
    Is it directly related to the type of drug/medicine?

We bought Ibruprofen in quantities last trip to Spain with no raised eyebrows. Just wondering what happens here?

Thanks.:)

Hi not sure about nurofen but could not buy two products with codeine in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

MYOB wrote: »
    Because they're not licensed here, pure and simple.

Parallel importation happens for drugs that are particularly expensive but due to the cost of getting that imported drug licensed for distribution here they are rarely more than about 15% cheaper.

If Boots, Tesco or Celesio - Unicare/DocMorris/Lloyds, who are I believe actually the largest chain in the country - could buy drugs in their home countries and bring them over legally, they would. No unwillingness to "rock the boat", just compliance with the law.

It's a good job then that we can still vote with our feet and go to Newry;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

sing_dumb wrote: »
    Hi, has anybody bought Champix (the anti-smoking tablets) in Newry? I've just been qouted €190.40 for my prescription in Boots, Tallaght!!! That's expensive. Would it be any cheaper up North. Thanks a million

I'd recommend ringing a different pharmacy down here first, there is no way that price is correct unless it's for 3 months' supply or something.

In general, there isn't much price difference between down here and up north for newer medicines which haven't come off patent yet (which would include Champix).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭holidays1805

Is anybody knows if there is a limit to buy some Co-Codamol Tablets that is generic of Solpadeine?

Is anybody knows if there is a limit to buy some Co-Codamol Tablets that is generic of Solpadeine?

Could only buy one packet at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Buying prescription drugs for mail order to Ireland is illegal. If they're caught by customs they are seized and you see neither your medicine nor your money again
    Annoying but true.

Interesting article published just today by the Irish Consumer Assoc however showing there can be a difference of up to 50% on medicine prices from one Irish chemist to another so its even worth shopping around locally.
    http://www.nca.ie/index.jsp?p=100&n=101&a=992

They're ways round this. Parcel Motel - get it delivered to NIreland :)
    Been doing this for 18months

Scottie99 wrote: »
    They're ways round this. Parcel Motel - get it delivered to NIreland :)
    Been doing this for 18months

Typically this morning I receive a letter from pharmacy4U saying they cannot prescribe to Ireland since 31st Aug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Typically this morning I receive a letter from pharmacy4U saying they cannot prescribe to Ireland since 31st Aug

That's a pity. I gave up bringing stuff in from the UK when Healthwave started. Have you checked their prices - healthwave.ie?

RainyDay wrote: »
    That's a pity. I gave up bringing stuff in from the UK when Healthwave started. Have you checked their prices - healthwave.ie?

I've tried another company, so hopefully this'll work out. Thanks for the suggestion, I've emailed them looking for for the price of my medicine

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

Because the GBP pound is so high I have gone back to buying local, I took my six- month prescription and asked my nearest pharmacies for prices, buying 6 months at once I was surprised how much I was able to save, the cheapest quote was half the price of the dearest and compared well with Newry prices

Some of the Chemist simply multiplied the monthly price x 6 which meant that they were charging 6 prescription charges instead of one, all of the Pharmacist were happy to give a detailed quote
    I will not name the Pharmacy that was cheapest, but you will be surprised what you can get if you shop around and buy in bulk before you travel to Newry

I used an UK company. The meds cost my around €25 (6months)if I bought here, you'd have to multiply that figure by six.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 desperate housewife

Has anyone gone to newry to buy imigran? It's prescription in the Republic for migraines. I know that it's available over the counter in the north, anyone know the price or if there's a limit on buying it? Hoping to drive up to newry at weekend to get it if possible!

Has anyone gone to newry to buy imigran? It's prescription in the Republic for migraines. I know that it's available over the counter in the north, anyone know the price or if there's a limit on buying it? Hoping to drive up to newry at weekend to get it if possible!
    Add your reply here.

Yes bought it no problem. Had to fill in a questionnaire. Got a card for future purchase so no need to fill out questionnaire again. Cost about 8 pounds. Got the generic version in boots. Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭manofthefora

FYI - Just back from Newry for prescription meds. Six months supply of 40mg Lipitor and 75mg Aspirin for STG£17. It seems like local prices in ROI are *many* multiples of that. Filled by my mother who has free travel!!
    MOTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

FYI - Just back from Newry for prescription meds. Six months supply of 40mg Lipitor and 75mg Aspirin for STG£17. It seems like local prices in ROI are *many* multiples of that. Filled by my mother who has free travel!!
    MOTF

40mg lipitor should be about €10 + prescription charge from pharmacies for a pack of 28.

UK private prescription price is higher than that if you check online, but NHS prescription price is much lower

Generic version is a lot cheaper - both in UK and Ireland. Under £3 in UK and about €5 + prescripion charge here.

Generic is idenical to the the original and at £17 I suspect you have the generic version or the pharmacy put you down as a nhs prescription

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭manofthefora

The £17 was for SIX MONTHS supply.
    Boots in Newry dispense Lipitor even if the script says generic atorvastatin.
    MOTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

The £17 was for SIX MONTHS supply.
    Boots in Newry dispense Lipitor even if the script says generic atorvastatin.
    MOTF

Yep, and generic here would be about €26 - €30 + prescription charge for 6 months supply.

Not a massive difference.

Advertisement