Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gun safe

Options
  • 07-03-2013 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

hi all just wondering is there any truth in the rumor I heard that a gun safe now should not be bolted to the wall .....if there is a fire one of the first questions that will be asked off the home owner will be are their munitions in the house ......and as I have been told true or not true if there are they wont enter unless they can recover it first.....going making some calls to emergency departments to confirm.....somehow I doubt it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

The safe needs to be bolted to the wall otherwise someone could just pick it up and take your firearms, what would be the point in having them in a safe. Sounds like utter scutter to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rocoso

ya same as that juice I will find out tomorrow ...but a man whos in the game for a long time gave me this news yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

rocoso wrote: »
    hi all just wondering is there any truth in the rumor I heard that a gun safe now should not be bolted to the wall .....if there is a fire one of the first questions that will be asked off the home owner will be are their munitions in the house ......and as I have been told true or not true if there are they wont enter unless they can recover it first.....going making some calls to emergency departments to confirm.....somehow I doubt it

No there is no truth in the rumor. I have never heard DFB ask anyone about munitions inside a house, there generally isn't time for chit chat like that and besides, unless the cartridge is confined inside the chamber of the firearm when it goes boom due to the heat of a fire, it will not fire with anywhere near the amount of force or pressure it usually would.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Don't waste the phone call.

This is law;
    Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure

It's part of SI 307/2009.

This;
    ......... but a man whos in the game for a long time gave me this news yesterday
    ........... is just that. Rumor.

As i said to an elderly gentleman recently "you being older only means you have been wrong longer". :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rocoso

well cheers for that fellas.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement