Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adjusting Rent Date

Options
  • 07-03-2013 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

I am in a fixed term lease.

I want to ask my landlord (who is not very approachable) to change the rent due date, as my partner's salary now comes at a later date than before, and living from salary to salary means that we may come into issue with paying the rent on time.

Can my landlord refuse, and then subsequently issue a notice of breach of lease? We are willing to pay rent, and do not want to cause problem. We just want to make it easier on everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Em...

Why not just ask the landlord ? It may be that you are over thinking this too much. The first port of call shouldnt always be the internet.

Communication works too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

This landlord has illegally tried to terminate our lease recently. We were issued with an invalid notice of termination... since then, the landlord has been hostile, rude.

We have not been in breach of our lease however if we are, landlord can tell us to leave... therefore if we appeal to landord, and landlord refuses, then landlord has the right to tell us to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well the additional detail is more helpful.

It appears that you are requesting an alteration in the lease agreement. I suppose the landlord can refuse to alter or redraft the lease.

If you are already having issues with them then why not just try to find accommodation that wont cause you stress.

We cannot - it is fixed term, meaning we cannot give notice to leave in 28 days / one month.

even though they want us out !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

This landlord has illegally tried to terminate our lease recently. We were issued with an invalid notice of termination... since then, the landlord has been hostile, rude.

We have not been in breach of our lease however if we are, landlord can tell us to leave... therefore if we appeal to landord, and landlord refuses, then landlord has the right to tell us to leave

OP, there is no reason why you can not ask this of your landlord, however he is under no obligation to accept it. Just the same way you have the bill due dates so does he and it may genuinely not suit.

However if he was to refuse your request it would not be seen as breaching of contract, however if you subsequently failed to pay at already agreed time that would.

• Advertisement

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    OP, there is no reason why you can not ask this of your landlord, however he is under no obligation to accept it. Just the same way you have the bill due dates so does he and it may genuinely not suit.

However if he was to refuse your request it would not be seen as breaching of contract, however if you subsequently failed to pay at already agreed time that would.

This I know - this is why I am asking! Obviously our landlord is not happy that we are tenants, for some reason. Now that we need some understanding, landlord can use it to their advantage.. does that make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

The worst that can happen if you ask is he'll say no. If you don't ask the answer is always no. A simple request isn't a breach of contract as long as you abide by whatever is agreed after you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

We cannot - it is fixed term, meaning we cannot give notice to leave in 28 days / one month.

A fixed term contract can be broken by mutual agreement, but absolutely make sure you have a written record of the agreement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

This I know - this is why I am asking! Obviously our landlord is not happy that we are tenants, for some reason. Now that we need some understanding, landlord can use it to their advantage.. does that make sense?

Yes, they can use it to their advantage by saying no and if you do get to situation where you can't pay on the agreed date they can take that as breach of contract.

If you have not left long on the contract I would be looking at moving anyway once the term is up as I personally would not want to rent off someone who is not accommodating to a reason.

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Yes, they can use it to their advantage by saying no and if you do get to situation where you can't pay on the agreed date they can take that as breach of contract.

If you have not left long on the contract I would be looking at moving anyway once the term is up as I personally would not want to rent off someone who is not accommodating to a reason.

Well we have 7 months left- we have been asked to leave illegally, we cannot approach them to have reason towards a few days extra on the rental date. It doesn't look good does it? We don't really want to give the satisfaction of a mutually agreed termination. We also can't be happy in the house now, after all the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you want out then you have the option of looking to reassing the remainder of the lease to another tenant. But there is nothing to stop both parties mutually agreeing to terminate the lease, so if you want out and they want you gone then I dont see what is keeping you in the property? Just get everything in writing and signed and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Well we have 7 months left- we have been asked to leave illegally, we cannot approach them to have reason towards a few days extra on the rental date. It doesn't look good does it? We don't really want to give the satisfaction of a mutually agreed termination. We also can't be happy in the house now, after all the hassle.

Dont be stupid; either you want to live happily or you dont. Why on earth would you want to be miserable just for the sake of being stubborn? :confused: If you can get of our there and away from a bad landlord then do whatever it takes to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Huh? If he wants you out (has already made that clear) and you want out, there's no problem here really. Just negotiate a leave date with him and get it in writing that the lease agreement is being ended by mutual consent and that your deposit is to be refunded.

Advertisement