Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some advice.

• 07-03-2013 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

So far, I've gotten back Economics, Biology, Maths, German and Irish in my mocks. Failed all bar German.

I'm pretty smart, but learning things I have no interest in isn't my strongpoint. Economics and Biology were HL, rest were ordinary. Anyways, I'm doing a PLC first so I only need to pass everything and a C3 in maths. I can't find effective ways of studying at all. I'm strongly thinking of dropping down in Eco and Bio. The exams took my by surprise and I was no where near as prepared as I should have been. I did the same for my JC mock and again my confidence is at an all time low and pressure from home to do well isn't easy either. My actual JC results though we're 8 HL honors and 1 pass 1 fail.

I just dunno what to do :( so much stress. Grandfather passing away made it way worse too :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

I absolutely detest some of the subjects I'm doing, but unfortunately there's no avoiding having to do some work.

I'd advise abstaining from all computer games, if you go out with friends, only do so maybe once every few weeks maximum, stay away from novels etc outside of certain hours, (after homework/study), turn off your phone for at least a couple of hours while doing homework if thats a problem, and restrict the amount of time you spend watching tv, (:eek:).

I'm sorry to say it but these are measures you may need to take considering your situation.

You may consider that a bit harsh; bear in mind that many people go to much greater lengths to make time for study. Some drop all sports. Some refuse to go out during the months coming up to exams. Some stay up until 12 or 1 in the morning studying, (although they did drink a lot of Red Bull to stay alert). I would recommend AGAINST going to such extremes this early if ever.

I believe there are already multiple threads about studying techniques, (and more on google), but some of the important points include: (1) Watch your diet! (2)Make sure you get enough sleep, (Red Bull won't be enough for everyone). (3)Stay away from the computer+other electronic distratcions outside of your designated times.

"learning things I have no interest in isn't my strongpoint." -> Very few people if any will claim that that is their strongpoint. It's not fun, but it has to be done.

It might be difficult but I believe that stress is something that is easiest to overcome with thorough organisation and discipline.

Again, stay away from any computer games until after the LC.

Good Luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 NeoHaven

I absolutely detest some of the subjects I'm doing, but unfortunately there's no avoiding having to do some work.

I'd advise abstaining from all computer games, if you go out with friends, only do so maybe once every few weeks maximum, stay away from novels etc outside of certain hours, (after homework/study), turn off your phone for at least a couple of hours while doing homework if thats a problem, and restrict the amount of time you spend watching tv, (:eek:).

I'm sorry to say it but these are measures you may need to take considering your situation.

You may consider that a bit harsh; bear in mind that many people go to much greater lengths to make time for study. Some drop all sports. Some refuse to go out during the months coming up to exams. Some stay up until 12 or 1 in the morning studying, (although they did drink a lot of Red Bull to stay alert). I would recommend AGAINST going to such extremes this early if ever.

I believe there are already multiple threads about studying techniques, (and more on google), but some of the important points include: (1) Watch your diet! (2)Make sure you get enough sleep, (Red Bull won't be enough for everyone). (3)Stay away from the computer+other electronic distratcions outside of your designated times.

"learning things I have no interest in isn't my strongpoint." -> Very few people if any will claim that that is their strongpoint. It's not fun, but it has to be done.

It might be difficult but I believe that stress is something that is easiest to overcome with thorough organisation and discipline.

Again, stay away from any computer games until after the LC.

Good Luck:)

Cheers for the advice. Before Christmas I was doing 4 hours mon-fri of study, then I slacked off and never got back into the swing of things. I only play computer games on weekends but If I was to not do that on weekends I'd have no desire to study at all. I'm dropping down in Biology and Economics, leaving me more focus on HL Geography and English. Curious if anyone does OL Biology or Economics? Let me know. I'm thinking of just learning sections then doing exams questions based on them, would that be a good way to approach?

I played computer games every weekend until recently, but had to stop. It really can screw up your concentration long after you stop playing.

By giving it up and really trying to concentrate you may find your studies more satisfying due to your success in simply being able work, but it's all down to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

The only time I sat down and studied for Leaving Cert exams were the days before when I was cramming so that I could recall all the topics we had done over the previous two years. I rarely studied for college exams, unless I completely didn't understand the topic. Now that I'm a teacher, I do research and prepare for the next day of the job because education is such a broad field with many developing trends. I also really care about the children. I just can't really fathom why, at secondary school level, people would spend several hours each day poring over tomes trying to internalise everything.

Just listen properly in school now and then when you go home, give the topics another quick look over. Then, when it comes to exam time, you'll be able to revise the topics you already know about and you'll remember them. Do practice exam papers. You're at the pinnacle of your life; don't waste it not living!

Chloris wrote: »
    The only time I sat down and studied for Leaving Cert exams were the days before when I was cramming so that I could recall all the topics we had done over the previous two years. I rarely studied for college exams, unless I completely didn't understand the topic. Now that I'm a teacher, I do research and prepare for the next day of the job because education is such a broad field with many developing trends. I also really care about the children. I just can't really fathom why, at secondary school level, people would spend several hours each day poring over tomes trying to internalise everything.

Just listen properly in school now and then when you go home, give the topics another quick look over. Then, when it comes to exam time, you'll be able to revise the topics you already know about and you'll remember them. Do practice exam papers. You're at the pinnacle of your life; don't waste it not living!

Wow someone on the same wave length! I can never grasp the concept of putting hours into something 6-7 months before an exam, I'd never be able to recall it all. I do need to listen more, and exam papers are a good shout.

• Advertisement

Under most circumstances I would completely agree with the two above but not in this case, (and I'm sorry for saying that but you have to be realistic).

That amount of work might not suffice for everyone.

Under most circumstances I would completely agree with the two above but not in this case, (and I'm sorry for saying that but you have to be realistic).

That amount of work might not suffice for everyone.

Yes but I only need to pass everything and no matter how long I sit down to try learn I just can't.

Fair enough, you're probably the best judge :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

NeoHaven wrote: »
    Yes but I only need to pass everything and no matter how long I sit down to try learn I just can't.

So don't sit down. Have you tried recording yourself stating main points over music and listening to them as you jog/walk/travel on the bus? It might be that sitting down with books or paper is not at all the way you learn.

Advertisement