Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled Cards

Options
  • 07-03-2013 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I mis-placed my wallet on Friday last week and as I could not find my wallet, I rang to cancel all my cards. I am a personal and business customer with a debit and credit card for both accounts. I expected replacements to arrive Tuesday, or Wednesday, but there is still no sign today and the post has arrived.

I found my wallet this morning. I rang the lost cards line to try reinstate my cards, which they say is not possible (fair enough). I then ask when the cards were sent and I was told that credit cards take up to 5 working days to arrive (so 1 week) and debit cards take up to 8 working days, meaning I won't be up and running until some time next week.

As a personal customer, I genuinely don't mind waiting for cards, but as a business customer, this delay is just unacceptable. I am aware that I can access cash by going into the bank, but most of my business transactions are via the debit card and are usually online. One of my telecomms accounts has been suspended since Saturday when they tried to debit my card and I have been racking up international call charges since, because I have had to call without the use of the cheap comms service I was using.

Why on earth does it take so long to get replacement cards? And why can blocked cards not be unblocked at the users request? I was told to destroy the old cards if I found them. I wonder why this advice is given if the card is blocked and therefore cannot be used?

I would also like to know why there is an €8 charge to replace a debit card, but no charge to replace a credit card? I opted not to replace a third debit card and will be closing a less used business account as a result of this fee.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi goz83

Thanks for your query.

Once a card has been cancelled as lost or stolen, unfortunately it is not possible to have it reactivated. If a cancelled card is located, we advice customers to destroy them as your full name is displayed on the card and also to prevent embarrassment if a customer attempts to make a purchase with it in error.

We understand your frustration in relation to the time it takes for a replacement card to be reissued. Up until recently we would have advised customers to expect their replacement Visa Debit card within 5-8 working days, however, the replacement card should now reach the address on file within 6 working days.

The 8 cost for a replacement Visa Debit card is a standard charge which covers many elements involved in the production of the card.

We hope this helps.
    If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know.
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I understand the €8 charge for debit card replacement. My question was why there is no credit card replacement charge?

The good news is that all my cards arrived on Friday, so I'm happy it took no longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi goz83,

Apologies for the delay in your response. Credit Cards and Debit Cards would be provided by different business units and each department would have different pricing structures. We wouldn't have any further information on the business decisions that were made in relation to the pricing of individual products.

Thanks
    Pat

Advertisement