Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External hd power question

Options
  • 07-03-2013 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

This is probably a stupid question but if the power led on an external hd lights up does this mean there is enough power going to it to be operational? The reason I ask is I have an external 2.5" WD drive hooked up to my Pi but it won't detect it. I know that there is a likelihood that the Pi wouln't have enough juice to power the hd but when it's plugged in the power led on the hd lights up. I would have though that was an indicator that everything would be working correctly (maybe I'm just beingh naive).
    The Pi does detect USB sticks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

The led usually means there is power going to it but not necessarily enough to drive it.

Like trying to start a car when the battery is almost flat.

An external hard drive on a Pi needs an external power source.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

FSL wrote: »
    The led usually means there is power going to it but not necessarily enough to drive it.

Like trying to start a car when the battery is almost flat.

An external hard drive on a Pi needs an external power source.

I was kind of thinking that alright. Thanks for the heads up.

Advertisement