Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crufts 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I don't usually watch Crufts but we had it on last night. I had to leave the room when the little chap in the wheelchair came on with his 3 legged tail-less dog, I could feel my eyes welling up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I don't usually watch Crufts but we had it on last night. I had to leave the room when the little chap in the wheelchair came on with his 3 legged tail-less dog, I could feel my eyes welling up.

Yep that was the one that got me, the dog and the little boy, both sooooo gorgeous and sweet and lovely and I'm off again.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

No disrespect to the other Friends for Life entrants, but is Owen and Haatchi don't win there is somethin wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

One thing I did like about last nights gundog group was that a good few of the dogs were multi champions, show ring and in the field. The Spanish water dog, one of the pointers, and a few others were mentioned.

To be honest, that's what Crufts should be aiming for, a dog being fit for purpose, and actually have the ability to do that purpose. It's a long way down the road and in fairness a lot of the field work disciplines have died out for some of the breeds but it's a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Hahaha! My dog was intently watching the judging, flyball and agilty. Went mad rushing to the window to see off intruders!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭apache

boomerang wrote: »
    Feel sorry for Clare Balding with the public standing behind her booth all making faces at the camera for the folks at home... She must know it's happening behind her! :D

Anyone else read her autobiography that was published recently? It's great!
    I tried to get it in easons over xmas but no joy. Must try again.
    Yeah the public standing behind are ridiculous. They must not get out much.

I'm very surprised with the lab winning his group. Hes well chunky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the Lab was overweight...

They are such greedy things, you really have to work hard to keep the weight down. He's a lovely, happy dog though with a great smiley face!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I agree he is a bit chubby. The effort to keep them the right size!!

That Newfie is cute - but I LOVE Newfies so...

I think my favourite of the final line up has to be the Australian Shepherd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

She gave greyhounds a great spotlight the other night. :) She grew up with lurchers so I think she understands the greys too. She knew all their good points, no prompting. :)

And deffo try and get your hands on her autobiography - it's really great. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

What's the final line up for the best in show? I know the Skye terrier and the PBGV (who I think will win), and the King Charles but I dunno the rest!!

What's the final line up for the best in show? I know the Skye terrier and the PBGV (who I think will win), and the King Charles but I dunno the rest!!

Skye Terrier
    Petite Bassett
    Tibetan Terrier
    King charles spaniel
    Labrador
    Bernese mountain dog
    Australian Shepherd

I think that the petite bassett will win as well, she's a lovely smiley little dog. Was that the same one that came runner up BIS a few years back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

God weeping like an eejit here after seeing Owen and Haatchi win! SO delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

hdowney wrote: »
    No disrespect to the other Friends for Life entrants, but is Owen and Haatchi don't win there is somethin wrong

They won with 54% of the vote :D

Skye Terrier
    Petite Bassett
    Tibetan Terrier
    King charles spaniel
    Labrador
    Bernese mountain dog
    Australian Shepherd

I think that the petite bassett will win as well, she's a lovely smiley little dog. Was that the same one that came runner up BIS a few years back?
    I think so but not 100% sure. Yeah the Petite Bassett is lovely too. That or the Australian Shepherd to win would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Skye Terrier
    Petite Bassett
    Tibetan Terrier
    King charles spaniel
    Labrador
    Bernese mountain dog
    Australian Shepherd

Thanks!! Yeah that's the same one, she's top dog all breeds on Britain this year too and has won every show she's been in as far as I know! Was listening to an interview with her owners, they walked an extra 250 miles to get her into shape for the show!! They are retiring her after crufts so it would be nice to end with a bis :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is it just me but I thought Romeo the lab was a bit of a fatty bum bum? Maybe it's just because my guy is so fit lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

tk123 wrote: »
    Is it just me but I thought Romeo the lab was a bit of a fatty bum bum? Maybe it's just because my guy is so fit lol!

He also toes in with his front movement

Nailbiting stuff!

Fair play to the Petit Basset but no way should that Lab have got reserve.

• Advertisement

I have to say the Petit Basset as a breed just looks like any non descript shaggy mongrel to me. Apologies if that offends anyone.I loved the Bernese and the Australian dog, both would have been more appealing to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I think the winner is lovely, and am pleased she won it, but how on earth can they give an overweight dog runner up? I thought they were trying to promote healthy dogs?

I have to say the Petit Basset as a breed just looks like any non descript shaggy mongrel to me. Apologies if that offends anyone.I loved the Bernese and the Australian dog, both would have been more appealing to me.

I know what you mean. I love that look though. It's like the scrufts winner or the generic look of dog they use in American TV shows. I think it's a very 'lovable' look iykwim.

I couldn't look at the king charles spaniel when they showed his side profile. Teeny tiny head, nose barely protruding from it's skull. It just looked so wrong to me.

I suppose it all comes down to personal preference. I love Bernese and collie types so I'm biased:)

ISDW wrote: »
    I think the winner is lovely, and am pleased she won it, but how on earth can they give an overweight dog runner up? I thought they were trying to promote healthy dogs?

Plus front movement at that level of competition was not great.

I suppose it all comes down to personal preference. I love Bernese and collie types so I'm biased:)

Personal preference for me would be the gundogs, setters in particular but I didn't like the lab. The weimaraner that was reserve in the group was gorgeous, or the bracco italiano, or even the spinone (wasn't placed) were fantastic.

I just love the look of scruffy dogs as well, they can be pb, crossbreed or heinz 57, they're all really nice.

I've always been a cat lady but for the past few years I've been getting broody for a Bernese. The timing won't be right for a few years though.

I like fit for function dogs. I show and have made up numerous champions. However they have sired dogs that also qualifed in the field. I have been doing agility the last year & hope to compete soon.

I don't like the divide in the gundog breeds between working & show dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

ISDW wrote: »
    ...but how on earth can they give an overweight dog runner up? I thought they were trying to promote healthy dogs?

Maybe that's the latest breed standard in Labs. I hope not, but there must be something in it if it qualified through all the various rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Clare Balding broached the subject of the, ahem, portliness of the Labrador.. clearly there was quite a bit of public comment about it. But Jessica, fudger as she is, managed to wriggle her was out of answering Clare's question about the Lab.

I am gutted, just gutted at the German Shepherd. Year after year, I pray that I'll see a nice, straight-backed GSD coming into the BoG ring. But no. Once again this year, Kermit the Frogdog hopped into the ring again, AND was placed 3rd in group. The KC seem to be making great strides forward in some ways, but one thing's for certain, the GSD nettle has not been grasped yet :mad:

Advertisement