Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crufts 2013

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭apache

Maybe they are trying to be politically correct after all the stick they take from overbreeding?
    Fat dogs are welcome too :)

Ah no that was wrong for that lab to be placed reserve. Dunno whats going on there - maybe trying to build international relationships? How cynical of me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭apache

DBB wrote: »
    Clare Balding broached the subject of the, ahem, portliness of the Labrador.. clearly there was quite a bit of public comment about it. But Jessica, fudger as she is, managed to wriggle her was out of answering Clare's question about the Lab.

I am gutted, just gutted at the German Shepherd. Year after year, I pray that I'll see a nice, straight-backed GSD coming into the BoG ring. But no. Once again this year, Kermit the Frogdog hopped into the ring again, AND was placed 3rd in group. The KC seem to be making great strides forward in some ways, but one thing's for certain, the GSD nettle has not been grasped yet :mad:
    They are making strides allright. Its wonderful to see the undocked tails on some breeds you would never think to see. But yeah the German Shepherd was screaming out hip dysplasia. Sad to see.

They made a big deal this year in banning certain dogs that did not pass the health check. They are going on about reducing exaggerated characteristics yet what is a fine example to one judge is an abuse case to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I'm just glad the Ridgeback was beaten by the eventual winner of the Hound group. When will we ever see the RR win best of group.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

apache wrote: »
    Maybe they are trying to be politically correct after all the stick they take from overbreeding?
    Fat dogs are welcome too :)

Ah no that was wrong for that lab to be placed reserve. Dunno whats going on there - maybe trying to build international relationships? How cynical of me!
    which nation ? vietnam maybe , the vietnamese pot bellied labrador :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

Beautiful dog that won. Although, it doesn't matter who won to me, in my opinion all the dogs shown over the last few days were winners! Absolutely stunning looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

In fairness to the German Shephard(Elmo can never remember the full show name) He isn't exactly a sloped backed cripple frogdog at all.He is a top show dog for a reason. His conformation may not be to everyones taste but Elmo is more than fit for function.And its not just that hes young he will be in the veteran class next year!

That dog has done and passed the working qualifications and a breed survey so has
    'a' normal hips and elbows (No HD or ED)
    DNA gepruft (has been DNA profiled)
    Haemophilia Clear
    SchH3 (Highest possible working qualification - tracking, obedience, protection)
    kkl1 - Breed survey class one - needs working qualification, show grading, low hips and elbows, perform a bitework test on the day, must have completed a 20k endurance test.
    Lbz - Lifetime breed survey.

Straight backed dogs can get Hip and back problems just as easily as a roach backed one.
    While that dogs gait may be exaggerated and his conformation not to everybodies taste it hasn't held him back in life or from being able to gait with a bike for 20 km!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Aru wrote: »

Straight backed dogs can get Hip and back problems just as easily as a roach backed one.
    While that dogs gait may be exaggerated and his conformation not to everybodies taste it hasn't held him back in life or from being able to gait with a bike for 20 km!

With respect, I think this misses the point somewhat. Of course some straight-backed GSDs will have their problems, but it is known that roach-backed dogs suffer with hip dysplasia and spondylosis more often, so no, your first assertion quoted above is not true.
    The big, big problem is that as long as roach-backed dogs, which are statistically less healthy, are chosen as the best examples of the breed, then breeders are going to continue to produce these deformed dogs, and many people will think that they want dogs of this shape... Because it must be the best, right?
    But only a small minority of the broodstock will have the certifications that Elmo does. It gives carte blanche to owners/breeders of any roach-backed dogs to keep on producing them, because that's the best... Right?
    Hardly... If the roach-back was a desirable trait in a working dog, then the Guards, and police forces around the world, and those involved in competition, wouldn't be tearing their hair out trying to find physically sound dogs. They wont touch roach-backed dogs.
    Not only that, but Elmo's certifications are incidental in the show ring. I'd be interested to see how Elmo does when he hits old age, bearing in mind a "veteran" is from 7yrs and up... Youth covers up a lot of problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I've been getting broody for a Bernese.

I missed nearly all of Crufts this weekend, but the bit i saw earlier this evening i thought the Bernese looked like a chunky monkey and not at all flattering for this beautiful breed.
    but one thing's for certain, the GSD nettle has not been grasped yet :mad:

I agree.I was explaining the history to my sister earlier today (really quickly as she zoned out within 5 mins :D) and she goes "Anniehoo, the Crufts people must know what they're doing, you analyse things too much"! :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

With respect, I think this misses the point somewhat. Of course some straight-backed GSDs will have their problems, but it is known that roach-backed dogs suffer with hip dysplasia and spondylosis more often, so no, your first assertion quoted above is not true.
    The big, big problem is that as long as roach-backed dogs, which are statistically less healthy, are chosen as the best examples of the breed, then breeders are going to continue to produce these deformed dogs, and many people will think that they want dogs of this shape... Because it must be the best, right?
    But only a small minority of the broodstock will have the certifications that Elmo does. It gives carte blanche to owners/breeders of any roach-backed dogs to keep on producing them, because that's the best... Right?
    Hardly... If the roach-back was a desirable trait in a working dog, then the Guards, and police forces around the world, and those involved in competition, wouldn't be tearing their hair out trying to find physically sound dogs. They wont touch roach-backed dogs.
    Not only that, but Elmo's certifications are incidental in the show ring. I'd be interested to see how Elmo does when he hits old age, bearing in mind a "veteran" is from 7yrs and up... Youth covers up a lot of problems.

Another question is how many will actually get the certifications Elmo has?

And the temperament of modern shepherds seems to be far more timid than in the past.

My first GSD almost twenty years ago (god I feel old) was a bit of a roach back, did schutzhund, and had a serious guarding instinct.

My next was similiar.

Now my boy is a straightbacked dog and longhaired to boot :) but has a good instinct for guarding etc.

More and more police forces etc are turning to the Malinois for what were GSD traits that are being bred out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Well guys, on the ferry home from Crufts and we got placed 5th in Open dog so was delighted to get a placing. That's my first time getting placed there and it's my 3rd year showing.
    The dog that won Coopers class went on to get 3rd in the group so was great to see the Rottie placed.

Got a free ticket into Bis which was great.
    The Pgbv is just fab!! I thought she should have won Bis 2 years ago when she got reserve but she was tipped to go all the way this year!!
    Loved the Aussie and that would have been my reserve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

anniehoo wrote: »
    I missed nearly all of Crufts this weekend, but the bit i saw earlier this evening i thought the Bernese looked like a chunky monkey and not at all flattering for this beautiful breed.

I agree.I was explaining the history to my sister earlier today (really quickly as she zoned out within 5 mins :D) and she goes "Anniehoo, the Crufts people must know what they're doing, you analyse things too much"! :o

I know what you mean about that Bernese, she's not the best example of that breed that I've seen. Cute all the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

andreac wrote: »
    Well guys, on the ferry home from Crufts and we got placed 5th in Open dog so was delighted to get a placing. That's my first time getting placed there and it's my 3rd year showing.
    The dog that won Coopers class went on to get 3rd in the group so was great to see the Rottie placed.

Got a free ticket into Bis which was great.
    The Pgbv is just fab!! I thought she should have won Bis 2 years ago when she got reserve but she was tipped to go all the way this year!!
    Loved the Aussie and that would have been my reserve.

well done to yourself andrea and cooper :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Clare Balding broached the subject of the, ahem, portliness of the Labrador.. clearly there was quite a bit of public comment about it. But Jessica, fudger as she is, managed to wriggle her was out of answering Clare's question about the Lab.

I am gutted, just gutted at the German Shepherd. Year after year, I pray that I'll see a nice, straight-backed GSD coming into the BoG ring. But no. Once again this year, Kermit the Frogdog hopped into the ring again, AND was placed 3rd in group. The KC seem to be making great strides forward in some ways, but one thing's for certain, the GSD nettle has not been grasped yet :mad:

I was looking at that GSD and thinking it just looking wrong that it's hind end was down like that. Like any minute it's back end was going to go from under him. Sorry but I just can't understand why you'd want to breed your dog to be like that.

Also totally shocked that the Lab got reserve when it is obviously not best condition (imo).

Delighted for Jilly winning BIS and in her final competition :)

I hated it when they kept saying about the lovely smiley face on the Charlie, it didn't look smiley at all to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Jenny from the block

I thought the lab was beautiful. A real strong, handsome dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Like others i also thought the lab and Bernese were a bit too tubby. The Malamute also looked like it could do with some more exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

The Lab and his Daddy were having a ball. I loved to see that. The handler has both bred him and owns him - that's lovely. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

boomerang wrote: »
    The Lab and his Daddy were having a ball. I loved to see that. The handler has both bred him and owns him - that's lovely. :)

+1
    Like another poster, I thought the Lab was a lovely, handsome fella, but I also thought he was tubby: certainly he was too tubby to spend a day out shooting!
    However, for me the tubbiness of the Lab paled against the infectious happiness of his owner, breeder and handler.. I don't think that man stopped smiling for the entire duration, he was as proud as punch of his dog and it was clear to see. And the dog was a really happy camper too. Whatever about the issues around why a tubster was chosen, the loveliness of this man's utter joy was enough to give me the feelgood factor :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah Look. Who wouldn't want a staffy!??!!

Advertisement