Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another license question (finer detail)

Options
  • 07-03-2013 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

Applying for a 243.

I want to apply for a moderater do I need to put a deposit on one first or can I be approved and buy one later when funds allow.

3 fire arms is classed as no restricted for storage purposes but if I put a mod on the 243 and 22 will this bring it to the next level of security.obviously gun locker there at the min for the 2 so that's ok. If I get the 243 will I have to do anything else. I've read the legislation and I don't think I do but it did say something about mods so I'm a bit confused.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

No you don't need to put a deposit on one unless you have one of those really awkward super's that force you to put a serial number on it. And although it is classed as having an unlicenced firearm if you are caught with one without authorization it dose'nt mean you have to upgrade your security to the same level as if it were counted as an actual firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

So with 3 firearms 243 been the biggest I'm alright with the locker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Technically you are yeah, but your super might want you to up your security to an alarm etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Yes,

"[307]
    SCHEDULE
    (1) (2) (3)
    Type and number of firearms Secure accommodation standard
    1 One non-restricted shot-gun. The shot-gun shall be disassembled and each part
    shall be stored securely and separately when not in
    use.
    The trigger housing shall be secured against use
    with an appropriate trigger lock.
    2 One restricted firearm or Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe
    three or fewer non-restricted which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be
    firearms. securely fixed to a solid structure.
    3 Two restricted firearms, or Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which
    more than three non-restricted complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely
    firearms. fixed to a solid structure.
    The place in which the firearms are stored shall
    have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the
    place shall be fitted with locks which comply with
    BS 3621.
    4 Three or more restricted In addition to the standards specified at reference
    firearms or six or more number 3, the place in which the firearms are
    firearms, of any type, kept in stored shall have an intruder alarm system,
    the same place. installed and maintained by installers licensed by
    the Private Security Authority, which complies
    with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard
    approved by the Commissioner of the Garda

́
    ocha
    ́
    na.
    The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring
    service, operated by a person licensed by the
    Private Security Authority, and supported with
    GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling
    facilities"

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/SI%20307%202009%20FIREARMS%20%28SECURE%20ACCOMMODATION%29%20REGULATIONS%202009.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Cheers juice and blay thank you questions answered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement