Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you go for help?

Options
  • 07-03-2013 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Is there anyone who can and will help?

Who do you phone? Who can you turn to when anyone in a position to help you tells you that they can't do anything "that's just the way it is".

I see and hear and read about the suicide epidemic. It angers and frustrates me. I read the appeals to the government to provide services to help people suffering with their mental health, yet no-one attributes this to that fact that people have been driven to the point of insanity by this government.

How long can any human being keep going when every day is no better than the last; another day worrying, another day struggling, another day walking around the shopping centre just to get some heat into your body because it's so cold in the house to can't bare it any longer, another day having to say no to the children when they ask you for something or anything at all. Another day trying to create a job for yourself because there are none and you've being looking for so long and the only option left to try your damn hardest to get your own business going.

Keeping your mental health intact isn't a possibility when there is no-one to turn to on those days that you feel you've being pushed right up to the edge. When another bill arrives that you can only pay if you don't pay the bill to keep the roof over your head. You can't pay the car tax this time and there's no public transport so what do you do when your faced with needing to go somewhere, to collect your children from school, a doctors appointment or any of the other journeys we're faced with each day?

Where do you go for help when you are faced with fines for not paying the bills you had no way of paying to begin with! Existing like this would take its toll on anyones' mental health!

Where do you turn for help when you can't face another day?

Community welfare officer? "exceptional needs only" "that's just the way it is".

Social services? Only concerned if your children are at risk of being harmed "that's just the way it is".

County council/ Housing authority? Can't help and don't even want to listen, "we're all cold, that's just the way it is".

Helplines? People will listen and some will recommend that you contact one or all of the three above for further help!

What do you or I do? If anybody knows please let me in on it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nationwide problem but Wexford has one of the worst suicide rates in the country.St.Senans closing hasn't helped-at least people could present themselves at reception and get looked after in some way.
    Essential services are cut to the bone & many are 9-5 with no weekend cover.

MABS can help with financial issues but when the strain becomes too much for some people there is little else.Perhaps the local GP,but what happens if they ask for the usual €50 or €60 & the person can't afford it?

Perhaps this isn't the forum to have posted your op but like you said-where do people turn to?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 One Flew Over

Thank you for acknowledging my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 the big herm

'Its good to talk' in wexford town is a great place to go,its opposite the bank of ireland in iberius house on the 3rd floor. its run on a pay what you can basis and offers counselling and support to everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Reach out to family and friends, hold them close, they won't ever let you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Don't worry about things you cannot change.

• Advertisement
Advertisement