Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile Boarding Passes

• 07-03-2013 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭

Whats with these, has anyone had trouble with Mobile Boarding passes ?

I was in prague recently (thinly veiled i was in prague thread) and had sent the boarding pass to my phone. Went to check a bag in and showed the attendent the boarding pass on my phone inc 3D barcode and she said 'Sure il print one out for you'

Why? Whats the point in them if they dont use them ?

Buddy of mine was at Manchesters unfortunate game the other night. He had a similar issue. Guy asked for boarding pass at security (all they do is throw in under the barcode scanner. He gave him the phone with the pass on it. All of a sudden it was a big issue 'thats not a boading pass' 'well it clearly is i got it send from Aer Lingus website'

Is this some sort of work to rule ? Or just plain pedantry. After an arguement (he was upset at the lost) the security guy just waved him through and accepted his seemingly unacceptable mobile pass.

Anyone have similar problems ? Whats the point in these if they dont have clear rules on operation.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They should just start rolling out the Multi-Pass from 5th Element. No point in doing it staggered like, when we all know what the end product is going to be in 10 years. Give it to us now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I use them routinely when I travel in the US. I've never had an issue, I don't even need to swing by a self-service kiosk to get anything printed. I guess it's a new idea for Europe, airport staff will get used to them once they see them more frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Some of us still don't own smartphones OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Be glad she offered to print them out - Ryanair charge €30 to print out a boarding pass. You can't get on the flight without a printed boarding pass and they won't accept a picture on a smart phone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

donvito99 wrote: »
    Some of us still don't own smartphones OP.

Most people have smartphones and the number of people without them is decreasing.

Do ryanair allow this? Very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

i use them all the time with no problem.

pity the aer lingus ones don't work with Passbook though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Hoop66

AFAIK they only have to accept a phone boarding pass if it's an actual electronic boarding pass, not just showing the boarding pass pdf on the phone.

I know Lufthansa use them in Europe, but I didn't think Aer Lingus were doing them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SmithG

This should interesting - would be good to use your phone for boarding passes. It will happen one day for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

They should just start rolling out the Multi-Pass from 5th Element. No point in doing it staggered like, when we all know what the end product is going to be in 10 years. Give it to us now.

I will celebrate the day I can waltz onto the bus and say in a "multi-pass" in a dodgy Ukrainian accent :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Be glad she offered to print them out - Ryanair charge €30 to print out a boarding pass.
    That's why I only fly with Aerlingus, you could almost blag your way onto one of their planes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Pig Benis

That Passbook app is a godsend, so much hassle fumbling about, looking for boarding passes. Shame more airlines dont use it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

SmithG wrote: »
    This should interesting - would be good to use your phone for boarding passes. It will happen one day for sure.

The future is NOW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Had no problem using them with Aer lingus in a few different countries in Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"Here mister let me on the plane. I have a boarding pass but me phone has only gone and fookin' died and all hasn't it wha?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Paperless flight-decks and offices are the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I use mobile boarding passes/tickets all the time now and have never encountered a single issue. The only time I use a paper ticket is when flying to Ireland with Aer Lingus, great to hear that they are now using them as well.

The iphone passbook app is fantastically integrated with Lufthansa's boarding system. The ticket just pops up on your lock screen when it's time to board and you only need to scan the phone over the reader to board the plane.

Wish the other companies would get on board with it (pun intended). Having to unlock your phone and open up your sms/email app and locate boarding pass slows things down for everyone when boarding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

jester77 wrote: »
    I use mobile boarding passes/tickets all the time now and have never encountered a single issue. The only time I use a paper ticket is when flying to Ireland with Aer Lingus, great to hear that they are now using them as well.

The iphone passbook app is fantastically integrated with Lufthansa's boarding system. The ticket just pops up on your lock screen when it's time to board and you only need to scan the phone over the reader to board the plane.

Wish the other companies would get on board with it (pun intended). Having to unlock your phone and open up your sms/email app and locate boarding pass slows things down for everyone when boarding!

App Smap, Just screen shot the boarding pass job done no signing into anything then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hoop66 wrote: »
    AFAIK they only have to accept a phone boarding pass if it's an actual electronic boarding pass, not just showing the boarding pass pdf on the phone.

I know Lufthansa use them in Europe, but I didn't think Aer Lingus were doing them yet.

It is an electronic boarding pass, thats why airlines allow you to SMS it to yourself or email to yourself. It appears on the screen formatted to show on a smartphone device.

No apps required.

Advertisement