Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's the "S"?

Options
  • 07-03-2013 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

So I sent in the FCA1 for the .22 Rifle and I wrote a beautifully worded letter stating all the reasons as to why I require a Moderator...............I got the grant letter back in record quick time, payed in the Post Office and got the License in a few days........ Happy Days. There is no obvious "S" anywhere on the license or grant letter. Where should the "S" be and does this mean the Moderator was not granted?

Cheers lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

So I sent in the FCA1 for the .22 Rifle and I wrote a beautifully worded letter stating all the reasons as to why I require a Moderator...............I got the grant letter back in record quick time, payed in the Post Office and got the License in a few days........ Happy Days. There is no obvious "S" anywhere on the license or grant letter. Where should the "S" be and does this mean the Moderator was not granted?

Cheers lads.

On mine its on the bottom left under 'Firearm'. If its not there I'd give them a call, mine came back at the time with a letter for a 12 month authorisation letter attached, as far as I remember that had no basis in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭landyman

Just don't worry bout the s who's checking ye the only ones making big deal about it they don't want the hassle and when you bring it up they have to do something about it probably loads of paper work I don't think they know what mod looks like not having a go just opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

That is very bad advise:rolleyes:, go ahead and ignore it if you don't care about your firearms licence because if you are caught and it only takes one garda in the know. You would then be in possession of an unlicenced firearm and you could kiss all your licences good bye for good. And if you were prosecuted well then you would be in for a whole new world of hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

landyman wrote: »
    Just don't worry bout the s who's checking ye the only ones making big deal about it they don't want the hassle and when you bring it up they have to do something about it probably loads of paper work I don't think they know what mod looks like not having a go just opinion

Ignore that advice. Get caught with a mod with no S on the licence and you could lose every firearm you have and any chance you have of ever holding on in the future. If they didn't care about who has them there wouldn't be a section on the form to apply for one and supers wouldn't ask you for a good reason to have one.

OP, call your FO and ask what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

If you applied for a mod then they need to refuse it in writing. If they haven't its more likely been missed and s call / popping in to see the Garda in question will sort this.

As has been said if you are caught with a modded rifle without the S then you are going to lose out big time. If prosecuted try explaining illegal possession of a firearm to future employers seeking info on any criminal convictions. All for not picking up the phone...

Remember its not the Gardas responsibility to keep you legal its yours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That's what we call illegal. Strictly speaking, if caught doing this, the maximum sentence is five years in prison and a €10,000 fine.

The dealer who sold you the moderator? Might lose his RFD's licence.

The law is very heavily directed at the idea that shooters are responsible for complying with the law; it doesn't believe that it's the job of other people to ensure we are compliant from day to day. So when someone tells you "Erra, it'll be grand", please bear in mind that if it ever isn't grand, it's your arse at risk, not theirs.

juice1304 wrote: »

If you are caught with it on the firearm or not without the s you are in possession of an unlicenced firearm a mod is considered a firearm in and of itself.
    And a ranger dose have the right to ask to see your licence.
    Don't think he has the right once you have your national park cert leave the legal stuff to the gard

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

NPWS rangers stand as authorised person(s) under the 1976 wildlife act, and as such are entitled to ask for ID, license, hunting licenses, search vehicles, etc. All under certain conditions, but they have the authority.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

If you applied for a mod then they need to refuse it in writing. If they haven't its more likely been missed and s call / popping in to see the Garda in question will sort this.

As has been said if you are caught with a modded rifle without the S then you are going to lose out big time. If prosecuted try explaining illegal possession of a firearm to future employers seeking info on any criminal convictions. All for not picking up the phone...

Remember its not the Gardas responsibility to keep you legal its yours
    Remember lads if you have tv you must have a license weither it's 1 or 10 TVs you have Better go out and pay up for second or third tv cause its the law

And guess what people have been put in prison for not paying their tv licence so what do you think the judge will say when you are brought before him for being in possession of an unlicenced firearm? "ah sure your grand"
    I think this is all getting a bit silly now. The op wrote a letter to the super asking for a mod if it was'nt a big deal then he would have granted it. So that must mean he takes it seriously which would mean he would lose his firearms licences and would get prosecuted, It is that simple really. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭SVI40

Remember lads if you have tv you must have a license weither it's 1 or 10 TVs you have Better go out and pay up for second or third tv cause its the law

That's not correct. For a private dwelling, you need one (1) TV licence, no matter how many TVs you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭skinnylizzy

Ah It's grand, I rang my FO and he said it was grand, that if anyone asked I was to tell them he said it was grand..................................................................................... Ha Ha I got ya's!!!!!!! No really though, I'd never use one unless it was all legal and above board but it does beg the question, If I have a moderator, should I hand it in to the Gardaí? Is it illegal to own a mod. even if you've no intention of using it? Or haven't even got a firearm for that matter? Could I give it to the kids and say 'here, play with this' :) JK Or if I payed alot of money for it, could I hang onto it until the renewal and try to give better reasons for the need to use one??????

Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Under the firearms act a moderator is legally a firearm in and of itself, so if you were caught with one without either the S on your licence or a letter from your local Superintendent, then you'd be up the creek without a paddle, regardless of whether or not you had (or even could - eg. if it was rusted away and unsafe to use, or if it was for a different rifle you no longer owned or whatever) used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Prime example of why some people shouldn't be given firearms..

'hdz

Would you mind elaborating that please hedzball???? Are you referring to me or the gentleman that advised me to go ahead and use one anyway? Cheers.

I was referring to this.. ^^

Would you mind elaborating that please hedzball???? Are you referring to me or the gentleman that advised me to go ahead and use one anyway? Cheers.

You on the other hand went out of your way to ask permission for something that wouldn't kill a mouse if you hit it with it yet is considered a firearm by writing a letter and asking nicely and they seemed to ignore you.

80 euro every 3 years.. and all they do is make us wait MONTHS for approval/substitutions and the like and after all has been said and done regularly get the information wrong..

Its pain staking. It needs to be reformed heavily. Im sick to my hole of the paper work process.. I agree with all the measures but the waiting time and the results is an absolute disgrace..

8 week now waiting on a sub.

'hdz

I have to agree with you there man. While I was blessed with a short waiting time for my licenses thanks to a very sound FO that seems to want to help as apposed to hinder, I couldn't understand the prospect of a 3 month wait. Especially if you went the route I did, I joined a club as apposed to got land permissions and was licensed with clay shooting and target shooting in mind, I paid for 12 months membership and faced the possibility of a quarter of that being unable to shoot. There do seem to be quite a few horror stories out there. I hope you get sorted soon hdz. Cheers.

I have to agree with you there man. While I was blessed with a short waiting time for my licenses thanks to a very sound FO that seems to want to help as apposed to hinder, I couldn't understand the prospect of a 3 month wait. Especially if you went the route I did, I joined a club as apposed to got land permissions and was licensed with clay shooting and target shooting in mind, I paid for 12 months membership and faced the possibility of a quarter of that being unable to shoot. There do seem to be quite a few horror stories out there. I hope you get sorted soon hdz. Cheers.

8 days for a .22
    3months for a 12gauge.
    6weeks for a 223.

I mean... where do they pull those figures from?. The FO is great down my direction but seems to always be on jobshare :mad:

Dedicated department is what we need.

hedzball wrote: »

Dedicated department is what we need.

+1 hdz

Unfortunately there's as much chance of that happening as the Government saying there'll be no property tax!!!! Ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I sent off my renewal form with a letter asking for a moderator. Got my licence back and it had no "S" on it.

Called back up to my FO asking was I refused or what was the story. She couldn't have been more helpful. She said she'd check it out and get back to me.

To cut a long story short, I was with her on Wednesday night last week, she phoned me back on Saturday night and said a new licence with the "S" on it would be issued. Received the new licence 5 days later with the permission on it.

I know lots of lads are often on here giving out about the Gardai but without a doubt, you'd go a long way to find as helpful person as I was dealing with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

I have my renewals sent in for my rifles and moderators and got my grant letters back and I must just pay the fee now for the licences. I am wondering does the grant letters state your entitled to hold a moderator or does it just come on the new licence???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

ace86 wrote: »
    I have my renewals sent in for my rifles and moderators and got my grant letters back and I must just pay the fee now for the licences. I am wondering does the grant letters state your entitled to hold a moderator or does it just come on the new licence???

Comes on the licence. Grant letter doesn't tell you anything more than the licence is on its way:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Can't actually remember if the grant says anything, but i think not. Either way there is not a lot you can do until you get the license.

It'll be in the bottom left corner. If not then do as Battlecorp done. Should e an easy fix.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

ace86 wrote: »

Open to correction but I don't think the grant letter mentions a moderator. I think it is only the "S" on the bottom left hand corner of the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Open to correction but I don't think the grant letter mentions a moderator. I think it is only the "S" on the bottom left hand corner of the licence.

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭patdahat

If you applied for a mod then they need to refuse it in writing.

i know at least 2 people that applied for a mod and when the license came back there was no "S" on it so they just took it for granted that, that was the end of it. Should they have got a letter saying why they were not granted the mod or again is this down to the FO/super in question, is it a legal requirement for the FO/super to send it out or what's the story with it? has anyone here got a letter saying why they were not granted a mod?

I think as a mod is seen as a firearm in terms of the law anyway that you would be entitled to a letter of refusal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

patdahat wrote: »
    i know at least 2 people that applied for a mod and when the license came back there was no "S" on it so they just took it for granted that, that was the end of it. Should they have got a letter saying why they were not granted the mod or again is this down to the FO/super in question, is it a legal requirement for the FO/super to send it out or what's the story with it? has anyone here got a letter saying why they were not granted a mod?

Its part of the process. Any refusal to grant a license must be done in writing and set out why. This isn't a local policy its a national one.

What they are saying is that you don't meet some or all of the conditions to be granted one so they must set out what they are so you can mount a challenge if you feel so inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

My licences arrived back today with my "S" on them so one less thing to worry about.

• Advertisement

Thats nice to hear:)

Advertisement