Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big House Festival, August BH 2013

Options
  • 07-03-2013 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

There's a music festival coming to Castletown House grounds, Celbridge, this August Bank Holiday weekend.

I've always thought the fields would make an unreal festival site, so far the only large-scale gig ever held there was a rain-soaked Barbra Streisand that appealed to about 2% of the local population so it's about time in my book!

Really hope they go for something along the lines of the Westport House festival which offers a good spread of live acts and has a big family fun element as well.

From what I can gather it's still in the early stages of development. There's a survey the organisers have put up seeking feedback from locals or anyone interested in attending which can be found here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/bighouseaudiencesurvey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭froggie76

Would be nice for something like that in the Kildare area alright,
    And thanks op for reminding me of Castletown House, local enough but have never been!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Isn't Oxegen on the August Bank Holiday weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Here's some shpeel from the Discover Ireland website:

'Big House Festival is an invitation to have a ball at Ireland's first ever site-specific festival in Ireland's only true palace - Castletown House in Celbridge, Co. Kildare. Join in a weekend of celebration that continues a 300-year tradition of arts and entertainment in the house and grounds of this beautiful country estate.

The festival features the best of Irish and international music, spectacle, theatre, dance and visual art as well as a range of other exciting, fun and family-friendly events.

All the events in this boutique three-day festival are tailor-made for the house and rolling parklands of Castletown. Discover unexpected entertainment in every imaginable corner of the estate - from the grand ballroom, to the ancient woodlands, to the lush meadows. Big House is a tonic for the senses, a weekend of happy accidents, and a place of truly surprising cultural encounters.'

Safe to say they're going for a very different market to Oxegen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭2011abc

Sorry now but ba11s to that survey.Gave up after a minute or two.Its clearly got a lot more involved than seeing what kind of music youre into having at Castletown House .Its a shameless ,marathon, data harvesting exercise !No doubt the 'festival' will be vastly overpriced and locals wont even be able to get in a stroll in the grounds during the 'festivities'...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Philip O Brien

That's four music festivals on the same weekend. Gonna be tough competition going up against the might of MCD. Best of luck to the organisers though, the more good festivals for musicians to play at and audiences to go to the better I say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Sounds like a bit more than just a music festival from the website www.bighouse.ie

I'm led to believe the cost per day will be small enough, something like €15 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Doesn't look very musicy at all from the wording of the survey and background of the organisers is theatre...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

That's a clever - lets gauge how much can we charge- and get away with it survey :D

I completed it however,i'm not one of the tin foil hat wearing "the man" is trying to gather info on me brigade lol like there is a big Database in the sky with all our inner most thoughts on carton house and the cost of a GAA ticket lolololol...lol

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

I always wondered why Barbara Streisand was the only concert that was held there, the grounds are ideal for a festival. Will be interesting to see how this works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I thought it was the only gig there due to the access hell despite it basically having its own motorway junction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Wonder what impact there will be to access throughout the grounds during the lead up to this ? I use it daily :(

Advertisement