Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment building fire extinguishers??

Options
  • 07-03-2013 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I live in an apartment in Dublin city centre. On the landing of each floor, there is a space, wall mounting and safety info plaque where a fire extinguisher clearly used to be. There are no fire extinguishers or hoses in my building.

What is the legal position here? Are the management company obliged to install and maintain fire extinguishers? I dont know if the extinguishers were stolen or what but they sure aint there now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Are the management company obliged to install and maintain fire extinguishers? I dont know if the extinguishers were stolen or what but they sure aint there now!

Yes, they are responsible to install and maintain them. However, theft or vandalism is not uncommon with fire extinguishers. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ok do you know what legislation or by-laws i can quote at the management company to encourage them to reinstall fire extinguishers?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

A call to your local fire marshall may be more effective...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

The relevant legislation is here, under Duties of Care.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Are you renting?

Your landlord is obliged to provide a fire extinguisher in the apartment.

• Advertisement

Are you renting?

Your landlord is obliged to provide a fire extinguisher in the apartment.

Are they? I thought they were obliged to provide a fire blanket, but Im not sure about an extinguisher?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

djimi wrote: »
    Are they? I thought they were obliged to provide a fire blanket, but Im not sure about an extinguisher?

Sorry, my bad, fire blanket and fire alarms you're quite right. Extinguisher was provided in my place, not a blanket though!

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MrPicante

yes, the landlord is officially obligated to provide a fire extinguisher, fire blanket and a smoke detector (preferably a heat detector in the kitchen). In addition, you are not insured in the event of any such incident from a fire.
    I have include a link to the fire regulation laws here

MrPicante wrote: »
    yes, the landlord is officially obligated to provide a fire extinguisher, fire blanket and a smoke detector (preferably a heat detector in the kitchen). In addition, you are not insured in the event of any such incident from a fire.
    I have include a link to the fire regulation laws here

Unless Im missing something (which is entirely possible as Im not wearing my glasses!) nothing in that link refers to a private dwelling or to private rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jocelynel

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,19428,en.pdf

i'm a landlord, a fire blanket and extinguisher must be provided. just doubled checked my contract there to be sure before posting

• Advertisement

Jocelynel wrote: »
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,19428,en.pdf

i'm a landlord, a fire blanket and extinguisher must be provided. just doubled checked my contract there to be sure before posting

That link doesnt mention a fire extinguisher; just a smoke alarm, fire blanket and emergency lighting and evactution plan in the case of a multi unit building.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jocelynel

my contract does state it and it's a direct contract with the county council, them being the biggest landlord in the country....they must be right? eh!

There is also no mention of a fire extinguisher on the Citizens Information site: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

And from: http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,21710,en.pdf
    “Fire Safety
    11. (1) Subject to sub-article (2), the house shall contain a fire blanket and either a mains-wired smoke alarm or at least two 10-year selfcontained battery-operated smoke alarms.
    (2) Each self-contained house in a multi-unit building shall contain
    a mains-wired smoke alarm, a fire blanket and an emergency evacuation plan.
    (3) Emergency lighting shall be provided in all common areas within
    a multi-unit building.”,

Jocelynel wrote: »
    my contract does state it and it's a direct contract with the county council, them being the biggest landlord in the country....they must be right? eh!

What contract are you referring to?

If it is a multi unit building then fire extinguishers must be provided, but thats an issue for the management company; its got nothing to do with landlords and their obligations towards their tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MrPicante

Found this online - http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/Housing/PrivateRentedLandlords/

Fire Safety
    Fire safety is a crucial responsibility for landlords both in single unit household accommodation and multi unit dwellings.

Compliance with fire safety, i.e. provision of fire extinguishers, fire blankets, and smoke alarms are provided for within the Standards Regulations.

For multi unit dwellings more compliance is needed, such as emergency lighting, special smoke detection and alarms, hallway lighting, etc. Landlords must contact their local Fire Service for more information on this matter.

Other Safety Matters
    Landlords must ensure the electrical fittings, oil burners, gas burners are safe to use. Annual maintenance of such appliances to ensure safety of use and proper ventilation etc. is required to ensure the safety of tenants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

From my experience, RAS - the LL must provide a small kitchen fire extinguisher, suitable for chip pan fire etc., a fire blanket, and a smoke detector in every room. My LL also provided a small first aid kit - not in regulations but he did it off his own back.

The council insisted these be installed to be RAS compliant.

Advertisement