Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any TEFL/ELT teachers heading to Canada?

Options
  • 07-03-2013 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gm paddington bear

Hey, I came back from Canada at the end of the Summer. I'm a teacher and I had TEFL as well so I taught in a language school over there for four months. It got quiet around Sept/Oct as a lot of students were going back to their home countries but I could have stayed on working if I wanted. I didn't want to though and have a background in Law so changed jobs, money was better. Any questions you want to ask about teaching over there ask away!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 7drunkennights

Do you need to get a health check if you are working in this area?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mazda2

Hi, I'm a secondary school teacher, heading over there soon, husband working over there since last Sept. Are there many teaching jobs over there? Would my qualification be recognised? I dont have TEFL - would it be worth doing a course before I go?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gm paddington bear

I got a medical done before I left as I had hoped to get in teaching primary age group over there. It didn't happen unfortunatley as it cost far too much($450 and if they don't suit the Canadian requirements you don't get this money back!!) to get my qualifications validated and it would take between 4-6 months so I couldn't wait that long. I don't know what it's like for Secondary teaching over there. Seems to be a lot of Primary Teachers, far too many as some of them were working in the language school with me because they couldn't get work. Could be worth looking into getting your qualifications validated before you leave here so that at least you would have that done before you leave. Would be worthwhile to do TEFL just in case and at least then you could work in language schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mazda2

thanks, will look into that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 movingagain7

Hi

Has anyone any advice on the process involved in getting qualifications recognised for primary teaching in Canada. My wife has being offered a senior promotion with multinational and we are considering the possibility of emigrating. I am a primary school teacher and am looking for pointers about the steps necessary to get qualifications recognition. Is it difficult, time scale etc.

Any advice, links greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eimearbeag

Hi

Has anyone any advice on the process involved in getting qualifications recognised for primary teaching in Canada. My wife has being offered a senior promotion with multinational and we are considering the possibility of emigrating. I am a primary school teacher and am looking for pointers about the steps necessary to get qualifications recognition. Is it difficult, time scale etc.

Any advice, links greatly appreciated

I am also primary teacher moving to Canada. I am trying to work out what I should do. In my research so far it seems that the lengthy, highly detailed, process to get my degree recognised will cost $395. It is non refundable. The site also says that the education programme must be "at least four years." The Mary I course is only three years, so I seem to be automatically out!

Movingagain7 have you decided what you are going to do? I am really confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lovemytea

https://www.bcteacherregulation.ca/Teacher/InternationalCountrySpecInfo.aspx?xmlfilename=ireland.xml&imgfilename=ireland.png&countryname=Ireland

http://www.oct.ca/becoming-a-teacher/internationally-educated-teachers

http://www.moving2canada.com/jobs-in-canada/teachers/

that is what they require for British Columbia and Ontario, but I think each province have their own rules and procedures. I'm going over hoping to get TEFL work, as I was told at work expos that teaching was very competitive, particularly in Ontario, as high number of graduates and many budget cuts like Ireland. The third link has useful info on teaching in Canada with links too!

I have researched a good bit at this stage and BC is totally saturated with elementary school teachers too. I have decided to just go down the TEFL path. I have started a course and got TEFL work here for July so I have some recent experience.
    Lovemytea thanks for the links! Are you getting a medical before you go?

eimearbeag wrote: »
    I have researched a good bit at this stage and BC is totally saturated with elementary school teachers too. I have decided to just go down the TEFL path. I have started a course and got TEFL work here for July so I have some recent experience.
    Lovemytea thanks for the links! Are you getting a medical before you go?

No bother! I was researching too and went against the teaching (secondary!) I'm not doing the medical as you only need it for teaching kids, not adults as far as I know. It is expensive too, and just didn't want to wait longer for the visa! When are you planning on going eimearbeag?

• Advertisement

My flight is booked for the last day of August. Im flying into Vancouver. Its all very exciting! When are you going Lovemytea?

eimearbeag wrote: »
    My flight is booked for the last day of August. Im flying into Vancouver. Its all very exciting! When are you going Lovemytea?

end of this month to Edmonton! very exciting alright, just can't wait to get away from all the doom and gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 milliemurphy

Im a secondary teacher and was thinking of going to Toronto as have aunt there. How would I go about getting recognised qualification there..
    Or as you were saying about tefl course...what tefl course did you do that was recognised internationally? Thanks

http://www.moving2canada.com/jobs-in-canada/esl-tefl/

link for info on tefl in canada and for Teaching in Ontario, here is a link for how to get your qualifications assessed. Best of luck! :)

http://www.oct.ca/becoming-a-teacher/internationally-educated-teachers

Advertisement