Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a T5 for conversion

Options
  • 07-03-2013 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi, I'm not sure if this belongs in 'motors' or here, so I've cross-posted it.

I'm looking to buy a T5 to convert to a campervan for long term use, but I'm a bit of a neophyte when it comes to judging vans. Many of those on donedeal, etc., look like they've been badly abused - I don't care how old it is, I'm looking for one which has plenty of years left in it. But it seems hard to judge from the adverts or the few I've seen as to whether its a good van or not. There seems to be a huge variation in the prices asked, which makes me suspicious about some of the 'clean' ones for sale at quite low prices.

So if I do go to buy one privately or from a general dealer (some of which seem to have a dubious reputation going by some comments on these boards), what should I look out for? I'm assuming I should try to go for 'one owner only' vans, and a full service history, and to look out for scuffs and marks which indicate bad driving. I've also been told to look out for 4-motion variants as being quite good.

Anything else I should be looking at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

Get a 2.5l one as the 1.9l will be very underpowered lugging all that weight around. 4 motion is not really a requirement imo, unless you plan on doing a lot of off roading.

As with all vans, it is a work vehicle, so will have been subjected to some ammount of hardship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

You need someone familiar with PD engines to look for you. Pd requires a special/expensive oil motorfactors often give the wrong one and many people that service themselves and small independents either don't know or think what harm. You could end up facing a big bill.

There is a reason almost noone uses unit injectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

why buy a 4wd when you don't need it? Harder on fuel and tires .

Advertisement