Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bridal buisness

Options
  • 07-03-2013 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

need help setting up bridal store we are looking to sell dresses off the peg but we cannot seem to find where to source them from anyone know of any wholesalers? also need to know about private labelling is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

has ebay not already killed this market?

I personally know of two long standing bridal shops that have closed in the last 12 months. You would really need to be offering something different to stand out in a crowded market

• Registered Users Posts: 5 louise2000

hi k, One morning a local highway department crew reached their job-site
    and realized they had forgotten all their shovels. The crew’s foreman radioed
    the office and told his supervisor of the situation. The supervisor radioed back and said,
    “Don’t worry, we’ll send some shovels … just lean on each other until they arrive.” I SUGGEST U STICK TO WHAT YOU KNOW : )

louise2000 wrote: »
    hi k, One morning a local highway department crew reached their job-site
    and realized they had forgotten all their shovels. The crew’s foreman radioed
    the office and told his supervisor of the situation. The supervisor radioed back and said,
    “Don’t worry, we’ll send some shovels … just lean on each other until they arrive.” I SUGGEST U STICK TO WHAT YOU KNOW : )

You post on a forum, you dont like the answer, best of luck with your business as with that type of attitude you should do great :D:D

Two Quantity surveyor students were walking across campus when one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?" The second QS replied,

"Well, I was walking along yesterday minding my own business when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike. She threw the bike to the ground, took off all her clothes and said,"Take what you want."

The first QS nodded approvingly, "Good choice; the clothes probably wouldn't fit."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I reckon you should go into the pointless stories business, as you seem to be talented. Don't think there is a great market for it but I'll pretend there is in order to save us from another random post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Wow what attitude from the OP.

I could have helped as an in-law in in the bridal business but I don't think I'll bother now.

ah dave it was only a joke

ah dave it was only a joke

A bit like your attitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

And spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RedRockets

need help setting up bridal store we are looking to sell dresses off the peg but we cannot seem to find where to source them from anyone know of any wholesalers? also need to know about private labelling is?

I have no knowledge on the bridal industry but I do hope someome comes along and offers you some constructive advice on sourcing suppliers like you asked instead of telling you stuff you probably already know.

• Advertisement

RedRockets wrote: »
    I have no knowledge on the bridal industry but I do hope someome comes along and offers you some constructive advice on sourcing suppliers like you asked instead of telling you stuff you probably already know.

If she already knows the industry is dead why would she be asking?

kkelliher wrote: »
    If she already knows the industry is dead why would she be asking?

Are you reading the same post as me ?

She never mentioned or even suggested that the industry was dead and neither did I.

She also never asked if anybody thought it was a good idea either.

She asked if anybody knew of any bridal suppliers as she wanted to sell dresses off the peg ? wholesalers etc.

I thought it was quite a genuine and simple question to ask really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

This is the third thread here in the past week dealing with where to source eh "threads"! Mens, women's and bridal.
    Now if they they know so little about the business sector basics, like the identities of the supply side players in the domestic market, they are likely to be of great danger to themselves financially. They should seek to learn the basics by working in the business first.
    It reminds me of the successful businessmen who used to set their wives or new women up in boutiques only for them to fall flat on their faces. They may have been expert customers but actually knew nothing about the business.

Are you reading the same post as me ?

She never mentioned or even suggested that the industry was dead and neither did I.

She also never asked if anybody thought it was a good idea either.

She asked if anybody knew of any bridal suppliers as she wanted to sell dresses off the peg ? wholesalers etc.

I thought it was quite a genuine and simple question to ask really.

I am reading the posts very clearly including the one of yours to which I was responding where you specifically stated "instead of telling you stuff you probably already know. " It is very clear that the OP does not know and hense the reason I posted.

kkelliher wrote: »
    I am reading the posts very clearly including the one of yours to which I was responding where you specifically stated "instead of telling you stuff you probably already know. " It is very clear that the OP does not know and hense the reason I posted.

So because you know of two bridal shops that went bust and the presence of ebay you suggest to the op that the industry is dead.

This is hardly a reason not to enter a market.

Also, its a pretty negative response to someone that come on to an entreprenurial forum looking for advice.

This is the third thread here in the past week dealing with where to source eh "threads"! Mens, women's and bridal.
    Now if they they know so little about the business sector basics, like the identities of the supply side players in the domestic market, they are likely to be of great danger to themselves financially. They should seek to learn the basics by working in the business first.
    It reminds me of the successful businessmen who used to set their wives or new women up in boutiques only for them to fall flat on their faces. They may have been expert customers but actually knew nothing about the business.

So all threads where people ask for supplier advice should be ignored because this means that they are cluless and have never worked in the industry before ?

Many people around the country are trying to start businesses right now and one would have thought that in order to get basic business sector basics right as you so put it they would go onto a forum like boards.ie visit the entreprenurial forum and ask for advice. Is this not the reason why this forum has been set up ? Are we not all here to help each other ?

Ridiculous stuff indeed.

ps. Maybe a mod could clear this one up as this thread is a clear example of attacking an op for this very reason and who has'nt posted since. Obviously scared off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

So all threads where people ask for supplier advice should be ignored because this means that they are cluless and have never worked in the industry before ?

Many people around the country are trying to start businesses right now and one would have thought that in order to get basic business sector basics right as you so put it they would go onto a forum like boards.ie visit the entreprenurial forum and ask for advice. Is this not the reason why this forum has been set up ? Are we not all here to help each other ?

Ridiculous stuff indeed.

ps. Maybe a mod could clear this one up as this thread is a clear example of attacking an op for this very reason and who has'nt posted since. Obviously scared off.

I gave the OP very sound advice, learn the businessn by working in it. Advice comprises both positive and negative observations. This is not a motivational forum and if you wish to put your business ideas or problems in such a public manner, expect robust and forthright comment. If
    a few perhaps harsh words of realism smash the dream, it was rather too fragile to make it in the real world.

In the case of this thread, the OP went all smart assed when the idea was questioned. OP then lost all chance of getting any assistance.

As for your own comments above, ridiculously naive is my call!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The reply to the original post was not attacking it at all, it just appeared to be pointing out that it's a fairly difficult business to get into.

If people are asking 'where can I get X' without having even done a rudimentary search then yes, they are fairly clueless. Not just about their chosen industry.

Had the OP asked 'I have just found 25 bridal wholesalers in the UK and Ireland, has anyone any suggestions as to criteria I can use to whittle them down to 5' that may have had an effect on the number/type of responses.

I'm not sure why the OP was having problems sourcing suppliers either, typing 'bridal wholesale' into Google returns somewhere in the region of 35,000,000 results.

There are many posters here who have provided endless hours of advice and support to people starting/expanding/closing a business. In this particular instance, my personal take on it was:

The OP had done little or no research.
    OP was only looking for positive reinforcement of her 'business idea'.
    its a pretty negative response to someone that come on to an entreprenurial forum looking for advice.
    If you're only looking for positive responses, go ask Mammy/Granny.

So because you know of two bridal shops that went bust and the presence of ebay you suggest to the op that the industry is dead.

This is hardly a reason not to enter a market.

Also, its a pretty negative response to someone that come on to an entreprenurial forum looking for advice.

If you read my original post in full you will clearly see your above is incorrect as advice was offered.

You should also note that clearly advice is not always going to be positive

Advertisement