Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home "broadband" running at 100kb's.. normal?

Options
  • 07-03-2013 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi, 
    Iv recently just moved home to my parents house and noticed that their download speed's are shocking slow. 

I do recall my parents saying they were not able to receive proper fast broadband where we live, but i assume 3mb is the lowest possible connection you can get nowadays? 

If this is true can you shed any light on the fact that i can only get 100kb's(usually lower) download speed on any file i try to dl.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Akarinn wrote: »
    Hi, 
    Iv recently just moved home to my parents house and noticed that their download speed's are shocking slow. 

I do recall my parents saying they were not able to receive proper fast broadband where we live, but i assume 3mb is the lowest possible connection you can get nowadays? 

If this is true can you shed any light on the fact that i can only get 100kb's(usually lower) download speed on any file i try to dl.

Thanks.

Hi Akarinn

Would you like to PM me the account details? I will look into this and conduct a few tests.

Regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 33 charlie1234

Do you have DSL filters installed on all your phone jacks that connect to telephones in the house? Broadband is at a much higher frequency than a regular phone call (POTS) so you need to install a filter or else the different signals can problems. 

Make sure the DSL filter is NOT connected directly to your modem or else you will get extremely slow speeds! It sounds like you may have done something like this so check if there's anything connected between the phone jack and your modem. You may have set it up with a filter rather than a splitter. (There'll be a single socket with a phone logo on the eircom filter but the splitter has two sockets on it.)

The DSL filter is a low-pass filter which means that it will only let the lower frequencies (ie voice calls) pass through (however, some of the lower dsl frequencies may 'escape' into your voice calls). If you haven't set this up correctly then you may hear any static or strange noises when you make phone calls. Similarly, you can also get interference from 'high' lower voice call frequencies on the broadband line if they 'escape' the filter. In this case your broadband speeds will suffer.

The eircom splitter has 2 sockets on it. One is the DSL filter that's described above and the other is a high-pass filter that only passes the broadband frequencies (ie the inverse of the DSL filter) through to the modem. You should have this connected to your modem for optimal performance.

Eircom has some handy diagrams here showing how it should be set up http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/ADSL-Splitter-Filter/td-p/13795

Good luck!

Do you have DSL filters installed on all your phone jacks that connect to telephones in the house? Broadband is at a much higher frequency than a regular phone call (POTS) so you need to install a filter or else the different signals can problems. 

Make sure the DSL filter is NOT connected directly to your modem or else you will get extremely slow speeds! It sounds like you may have done something like this so check if there's anything connected between the phone jack and your modem. You may have set it up with a filter rather than a splitter. (There'll be a single socket with a phone logo on the eircom filter but the splitter has two sockets on it.)

The DSL filter is a low-pass filter which means that it will only let the lower frequencies (ie voice calls) pass through (however, some of the lower dsl frequencies may 'escape' into your voice calls). If you haven't set this up correctly then you may hear any static or strange noises when you make phone calls. Similarly, you can also get interference from 'high' lower voice call frequencies on the broadband line if they 'escape' the filter. In this case your broadband speeds will suffer.

The eircom splitter has 2 sockets on it. One is the DSL filter that's described above and the other is a high-pass filter that only passes the broadband frequencies (ie the inverse of the DSL filter) through to the modem. You should have this connected to your modem for optimal performance.

Eircom has some handy diagrams here showing how it should be set up http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/ADSL-Splitter-Filter/td-p/13795

Good luck!
    Hi charlie1234

I have discovered that there is an issue with the line itself and I haveadvised Akarinn to contact support to log thisissue, however
    thank you for your advice and contribution here as it would be quite helpful to most queries of this nature.

Kind regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 33 charlie1234

Hi charlie1234

I have discovered that there is an issue with the line itself and I haveadvised Akarinn to contact support to log thisissue, however
    thank you for your advice and contribution here as it would be quite helpful to most queries of this nature.

Kind regards

Al
    No problem, it was worth posting in case they had an engineer come and check it out only to find out this was the problem!

No problem, it was worth posting in case they had an engineer come and check it out only to find out this was the problem!

Hi charlie1234

Thanks, you're right, that does seem to happen quite allot, thanks for your advice and contribution here :) 

Regards

Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement