Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Broadband in town

• 07-03-2013 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hello all,
    just wondering what the quality of Vodafone broadband is like in town through a landline.A pensioner relative of mine has Three wireless broadband which he is happy with however the Eircom landline bill is gone through the roof(phone allowance cut in last budget-line rental large part of bill).
    Vodafone are doing a good sounding deal with landline and broadband,my only concern is the broadband as good as the Three wi-fi.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd be surprised if it was worse than 3 mobile. Not impossible.
    They should be able to get an indication from eircom as to how good/bad their line would be. Also look at UPC if they're in the catchment area for that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The Vodafone fixed line broadband would be exactly the same as the Eircom 1 as it's the same line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Clareman wrote: »
    The Vodafone fixed line broadband would be exactly the same as the Eircom 1 as it's the same line.

Dont think that's what he's asking unless Three is also using the eircom line. :confused:

Edited to add - try and avoid contracts, my guess is there will be lots of offers to try and win OAP now that the S/welfare have cut the line rental.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

theparish wrote: »
    Hello all,
    just wondering what the quality of Vodafone broadband is like in town through a landline.A pensioner relative of mine has Three wireless broadband which he is happy with however the Eircom landline bill is gone through the roof(phone allowance cut in last budget-line rental large part of bill).
    Vodafone are doing a good sounding deal with landline and broadband,my only concern is the broadband as good as the Three wi-fi.Thanks
    phog wrote: »
    Dont think that's what he's asking unless Three is also using the eircom line. :confused:

Edited to add - try and avoid contracts, my guess is there will be lots of offers to try and win OAP now that the S/welfare have cut the line rental.

I read it to say they are looking for landline comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Thanks for all the advice lads.The current Three broadband is wireless and the new Vodafone b'band would be through the existing landline(does not have Eircom b'band,just phone).There is a 12 month min.contract which I am considering (although big discount for 2 year contract).The speed test for Three wireless averages 4mbps download for the last few days,if Vodafone could match this then I would make the switch.Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

what is the deal that vodafone are offering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

Thanks for all the advice lads.The current Three broadband is wireless and the new Vodafone b'band would be through the existing landline(does not have Eircom b'band,just phone).There is a 12 month min.contract which I am considering (although big discount for 2 year contract).The speed test for Three wireless averages 4mbps download for the last few days,if Vodafone could match this then I would make the switch.Thanks

I'm on eircom's NGB in the city centre. Nominal speed is 8Mbps, speed tests put actual download speed at 7.0-7.5Mbps, which is pretty good imo (I'm not usually connected directly into the router, so I may actually be capable of slightly better performance). The max speed available will depend whereabouts in the city he is and which exchange he's on.
    On eircom's site you can check the availability of their various speed packages by selecting the package you might be interested in and clicking the 'check availability' button. I presume other providers have a simliar facility.
    The phone infrastructure is being upgraded around the country, so speeds of 40+Mbps will soon be available through the phone line (depending on where you live).

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

gregers85 wrote: »
    what is the deal that vodafone are offering?
    45 euro a month,free anytime local and national calls land line calls,free calls to 3 nominated vofafone mobile numbers & 40gb usage b'band.
    45euro less 8euro telephone allowance is 37 a month for an OAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

45 euro a month,free anytime local and national calls land line calls,free calls to 3 nominated vofafone mobile numbers & 40gb usage b'band.
    45euro less 8euro telephone allowance is 37 a month for an OAP.

Who does their tv?

Advertisement