Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Oral Question

Options
  • 07-03-2013 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey,
    So I recently dropped down to pass Irish but my name is still down to do the Irish oral which the teacher is insisting on. I'd prefer to not do the oral as it's not my strongest aspect of Irish.

So what would be my best option? If I don't show up will they just take my written paper result only?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Chances are they'll give you 0 in the oral unless you have a reason, try get a note

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

http://www.examinations.ie/schools/S98_12_JC_Irish_Optional_Oral_Examination_Circular_2013.pdf (.pdf file)

If you do the oral, you are marked out of 400, if you don't, you are marked out of 240.

From that document:
    Please also note:

Candidates in a class may be entered irrespective of whether the entire class is taking the option

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SeanIAm

So if I don't show up will I just be marked out of 320? This is really important as the oral is tomorrow and could be the difference between a grade or two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That's what the SEC says in its circular.

Make sure they withdraw you, so don't just not show up. Show up and say you are not taking the oral option.
    If they say you can't, have a copy of that circular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

spurious wrote: »
    http://www.examinations.ie/schools/S98_12_JC_Irish_Optional_Oral_Examination_Circular_2013.pdf (.pdf file)

If you do the oral, you are marked out of 400, if you don't, you are marked out of 240.

From that document:
    Please also note:

Candidates in a class may be entered irrespective of whether the entire class is taking the option
    Woah the oral is 160 marks?

Yes, it's differently weighted for the different levels. It's all in the circular.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SeanIAm

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry but I don't quite what you mean by "circular"? Also, which bit should I quote if I'm told no?

The circular is the file from the SEC about the Irish oral. Print it out if you can.

Here it is again:
    http://www.examinations.ie/schools/S98_12_JC_Irish_Optional_Oral_Examination_Circular_2013.pdf

You just need the first page as the second page is the same stuff in Irish.

The important line is:

I'd make sure you have a letter from your parents too, in case the school start messing about.

Advertisement