Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slayer - The Academy June 10th & 11th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Ack. Sorry! Show's how "on the ball" I am : )

Mods please delete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Gonna leave this thread for discussion of the gig as the Metal Notes thread has gotten way off topic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm kinda tempted to go. Slayer is my favourite of the "Big Four", and a band I guess I've always intended to see down the line. The price seems a bit on the steep side though.

I'm gonna try and get a ticket in the morning. Being the eternal optimist i'm hoping Lombardo and King can sort something out and Dave returns to the band. I'd give my right nut to see and feel Lombardo at such close quarters. I always find myself drifting to the side of the stage at Slayer shows and being mesmerized by Daves playing.

Whilst i have huge respct for Jeff,Gary Holt does a great job filling in. As peculiar as it may sound to some,Slayer aren't the same without Dave. I'm sure Dette is an awesome player but he's not Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

A 2nd date should be in the pipeline also.
    This will sell out instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

kbell wrote: »
    A 2nd date should be in the pipeline also.
    This will sell out instantly.

It was announced as a once off show but they have 2 days between the Dublin show and the next show so who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

€42.50 for the academy!?!?
    Not a hope.

I guess Dave Lombardo was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

You know I've never actually seen Slayer live. I'm not a massive fan of them, have a few albums, but I feel like I should really see them.

I'd imagine it's a fun gig!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

lord lucan wrote: »
    Gonna leave this thread for discussion of the gig as the Metal Notes thread has gotten way off topic.

some would argue not even a big announcement. I think it's a testament to slayer, in being so mainstream yet still just about controversial enough to be kept underground....

Personally I'm just bored shìtless with the same old sets. Bring bostaph back and do Divine Intervention in it's entirety

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

some would argue not even a big announcement. I think it's a testament to slayer, in being so mainstream yet still just about controversial enough to be kept underground....

Personally I'm just bored shìtless with the same old sets. Bring bostaph back and do Divine Intervention in it's entirety
    Was just thinking this while listening to Circle of Beliefs and Dittohead this morning. Love that album.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Provided there's any tickets left when I get home I'm gonna try and pick one up. Slim chance, but hey, maybe I'll be lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Got two online at 9am, second date up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Got 2 for first date, prob gonna get some for second too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

I listened to some Slayer on the commute in and thought "Oh darn, its pricey and nobody I know is going, but yeah..."

Got myself a ticket for Monday :)

Wondering now will they get added to Download Festival.

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    You know I've never actually seen Slayer live. I'm not a massive fan of them, have a few albums, but I feel like I should really see them.

I'd imagine it's a fun gig!

I think you should go. It's an experience! And not to be too pessimistic, this will probably be the last time they play in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Quick question, lads. I bought a ticket for the first gig this morning but accidentally left the delivery option as collection rather than post. Could I collect the ticket any time at the box office, or do I have to wait until the night of the gig itself? If I can collect before the gig itself, how long would I need to wait to make sure it's actually there?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I think you should go. It's an experience! And not to be too pessimistic, this will probably be the last time they play in this country.

Absolutely, especially with the size of the Academy, it has the makings of a great gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

To answer Blastmans question: Pick your ticket up the night of the gig as you walk in. I use this option most of the time. Never had an issue. You don't need to pick up your ticket beforehand. Your ticket will be there waiting for ya on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Got tcikets for the tuesday, this will be my second time seeing them. My advice... go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Anyone know if Hanneman is back touring yet?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Anyone know if Hanneman is back touring yet?

No, not yet. Tbh,it doesn't sound very promising, by all accounts he's still struggling to get his arm fully functioning and hasn't played an active part in recording the new album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

This should be a savage gig, it such a nice tight venue too, rarely get the experience of seeing Slayer at such close quarters these days. Hopefully Dave will be back in the fold at that stage, probably my favourite drummer, would love to see him play live!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭HMD

I think this will be the smallest venue they've played in Ireland so well worth going. I've seen them a good few times and the worst was in the Marquee in Cork a few years ago so here's hoping a smaller venue will mean better show.

Secured 2 for the tuesday.

That's two nights here, couple of older guys at breakneck speed to a mere 1700 in total and they'll be pocketing what, only 10%? $la¥€r.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

****... Only saw this now. Whats the likelyhood the second date will be sold out Monday before i can see if i can get a few days off work? Also where is the Academy in Dublin? Is it near any hotels? Will probably be going on my own:(

Degag wrote: »
    ****... Only saw this now. Whats the likelyhood the second date will be sold out Monday before i can see if i can get a few days off work? Also where is the Academy in Dublin? Is it near any hotels? Will probably be going on my own:(

I'd be surprised if it's not sold out by Monday. The Academy is about as close to the centre of the city as you can get. It's 3 or 4 minutes walk from O'Connell St and there's loads of hotels nearby to suit any budget.

Degag wrote: »

Might be pushing it by waiting until Monday. The Academy is located on Middle Abbey St. There are a load of hotels in the area and you can get a bed in a hostel for around e10 per night.

Just bought my ticket for the 2nd day, seems that day 1 is sold out already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Just purchased one for the Tuesday night myself.

Monday is sold out.

Looking forward to it and heres hoping for some decent support.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Just ordered mine as well. Hope it's a good one. The small venue will definitely be good.
    Decent year for gigs all ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Fúck it, ordered mine too. Always promised myself i'd see them live and seeing how they seem to be imploding at the moment, may be my last chance. Hopefully though, we'll see Lombardo and Hannemann back in action. Anybody recommend a hotel in the area?!

If you want to hostel it,Abigales on the Quay is cheap as chips and about a 5 minute stroll from the venue.

On another note,would anyone thats goin on their own be interested in meeting up before hand for a pint or 2?

None of my mates are into metal and though my girlfriend said she would go with me,it wouldn't be her cup of tea at all so I'm going on my own.

How about Newsted supporting :D

Could see it.

• Advertisement

Well he's at Donington, and would be a great slot for his new band

Tickets still available for the Tuesday gig. Just ordered mine. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I'm getting an error saying no exact matches found but it doesn't say sold out on the main page. Any ideas?

Was clicking the wrong date..

Nevermind.. >_>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Slayer are very good live, exactly what it says on the tin.
    And I'd say the small venue would really ad to it, but that price is just too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

amazed they are playing such a small venue

I thought they were a world famous band with massive fan base

O2 surely more appropriate and gives everyone a chance to see them

• Advertisement

amazed they are playing such a small venue

I thought they were a world famous band with massive fan base

O2 surely more appropriate and gives everyone a chance to see them

Not really, they've just about sold out 2 night, that's 1,700. Maybe, and this is a BIG maybe, they could have shifted another 500-1000 tickets, that still only around the 2,500 mark. The Point holds 14,000.

Yet again it highlights the need for a mid sized, 5,000 capacity venue in Dublin.

I've always said, that big car park behind The Point is unused, they could build a little arena there, wouldn't cost much in the scheme of things, the full infrastructure (dart, parking, food) is all in place

+900~ in the new Limelight. They could have put this in the 02 yeah, but it wouldn't even have been half full + Slayer won't have a stage show for fit for an arena this Summer.

Like the first date did go fast and the second one will go really soon. But it's been 6 days now and the second date hasn't sold out, so it's not like they could have put another night on even if they wanted to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

scudzilla wrote: »
    Not really, they've just about sold out 2 night, that's 1,700. Maybe, and this is a BIG maybe, they could have shifted another 500-1000 tickets, that still only around the 2,500 mark. The Point holds 14,000.

Yet again it highlights the need for a mid sized, 5,000 capacity venue in Dublin.

Can't claim to be a maths genius but surely your figures surrounding the upcoming Slayer gigs don't highlight a need for a 5,000 capacity venue in Dublin..?

symbolic wrote: »
    Can't claim to be a maths genius but surely your figures surrounding the upcoming Slayer gigs don't highlight a need for a 5,000 capacity venue in Dublin..?

Don't have to sell it out to justify using it. 2,500 tickets justifies renting out a venue that size, not quite the O2 though.

I'm just astonished a slayer concert for a few hundred hasn't sold out!!!!!!

but i love the juxtoposition of an absolutely massive rockband not deemed worthy of being advertised, whether that was due to percieved fast sales or just the nature of what they're about

symbolic wrote: »

Academy holds 850, IF they sell out both shows that's 1,700 @42.50 per ticket that's E72,250. Slayer will probably be charging in the region of 25k per show.

A lot of people here have been put off on price, if we had a 5,000 capacity venue, they could sell 4,000 tickets @25 each and make 100k on 1 night alone, much more profitable for band and promotor

scudzilla wrote: »
    They could sell 4,000 tickets @25 each and make 100k on 1 night alone, much more profitable for band and promotor

That's true but it's a higher risk if the tickets don't sell. And the promoter bears all of the risk when putting on a show. As long as the band get's their fee they don't really care where they play.

Playing one show with an option of a second (where the band and venue's schedule allows it) is a safer bet.

In fairness the promoters know their onions and are unlikely to leave money on the table. I'm sure they will have been aware of Lombardo-gate and the effect that might have on ticket sales.

If I remember correctly Slayer have done a few two-nighters before in Dublin. Ambassador and SFX, I think.

I know it's early days but anybody fancy a Rock & Metal meet up for the Monday night? Quite a few of us going, Gypsy Rose around 4pm should be ideal as just across the water

I'm going to the Tuesday show, so I dunno if I'd make it.

Im goin to the Tuesday show too but as I said on the previous page I'd be up for a meet up as I'm goin on my own.

• Advertisement
Advertisement