Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slayer - The Academy June 10th & 11th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭drumlover22

Are the 2 nights sold out?

Tried to buy on ticketmaster but can't get past the cacthpa ****e. It doesn't say they are sold out though.

I think I seen the Academy facebook or twitter, can't remember which one, say Slayer is sold out 2 days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

If any of you have tickets you want to sell please pm me i need two tickets :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Damn you Kerry King, damn you to hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

And they still want to charge mad money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

With two of the founding members (most likely) gone, Slayer won't be the same anymore :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

And they still want to charge mad money.

Well they still have the same costs to cover and bringing shows to Ireland ain't exactly cheap. Not saying I like it but it's just how it is.
    Lars1916 wrote: »
    With two of the founding members (most likely) gone, Slayer won't be the same anymore :confused:

Yes and no. In a live setting Holt and Dette are fantastic stand ins and bring a lot of energy to the show. In the studio though is where Hanneman and Lombardo are badly needed. Personally I cant see much good coming from an album composed entirely of Kings material. Hanneman was always the better song writer of the two. It'd be interesting to see what Gary Holt could bring to a Slayer album as he has done some fantastic stuff with Exodus but I'd rather see him team with Hanneman rather than King for the songwriting process!!

Overall it's still a shitty situation to see Slayer in at this stage in their career. It would have been nice to see them bow out gracefully with their original lineup intact instead of watching this soap opera unfold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Watched a tom interview recently. The man talks like a politician! You could easily read between the lines and guess there was something up re Jeff. He was asked about Jeff condition and the answer was "yeah Jeff is having a problem coming back'

Testament1 wrote: »
    Well they still have the same costs to cover and bringing shows to Ireland ain't exactly cheap. Not saying I like it but it's just how it is.

Yes and no. In a live setting Holt and Dette are fantastic stand ins and bring a lot of energy to the show. In the studio though is where Hanneman and Lombardo are badly needed. Personally I cant see much good coming from an album composed entirely of Kings material. Hanneman was always the better song writer of the two. It'd be interesting to see what Gary Holt could bring to a Slayer album as he has done some fantastic stuff with Exodus but I'd rather see him team with Hanneman rather than King for the songwriting process!!

Overall it's still a shitty situation to see Slayer in at this stage in their career. It would have been nice to see them bow out gracefully with their original lineup intact instead of watching this soap opera unfold.

In my personal opinion, Jeff is the better musician, much more versatile. This effects both studio recordings and live performances. I still appreciate Kerry though,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

You can hear King's influence all over the last couple of albums.

• Advertisement

Passenger wrote: »
    You can hear King's influence all over the last couple of albums.

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, but I prefer the first three albums, especially 'Reign in Blood' ;)

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, but I prefer the first three albums, especially 'Reign in Blood' ;)

Aye. Hanneman was the biggest contributor to the songwriting on Reign in Blood. Recently the dynamic has shifted toward King. So Hanneman's absence will be missed for sure.

Passenger wrote: »
    Aye. Hanneman was the biggest contributor to the songwriting on Reign in Blood. Recently the dynamic has shifted toward King. So Hanneman's absence will be missed for sure.

You can't top 'Reign in Blood', even after 27 years down the road :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i can't see how a Slayer show in the academy would be expensive for them, they are touring uk too so a transit will bring their essential backline over with their techs everything else local hire

There is no fcuking way kerry king is playing here for the love of the fans!

His attitude to hanneman is sad, treatment of lombardo worse

Disinclined to give that band any more of my money.

That said if gifted tickets i would go like the ligging mutha i am!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It wouldn't be worth shelling out €42.50 if it's only 2/4 of the original Slayer.

You can't top 'Reign in Blood', even after 27 years down the road :)

Oh absolutely. It's their masterpiece. It was the first album I bought of theirs and one of my first 'heavy' albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Ticket came today:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    It wouldn't be worth shelling out €42.50 if it's only 2/4 of the original Slayer.

This is how I feel.
    I'm not awfully interested in Slayer to be honest, but I always felt they were one of the bands that I just have to see at some stage.
    But 42 snots for half the proper lineup? Nahhh, I'll pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

s**t news

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/04/01/breaking-tom-araya-to-sit-out-slayers-summer-tour-leaving-kerry-king-as-sole-original-member-jason-newsted-announced-as-temporary-replacement/

i read on the official slayer site that up to april dates where resheduled.
    not so sure he will be fit for june and wtf jason newsted !!! what a pile of balls.
    how can he repalce tom araya , really dont think anyone can , i hope thats not true .

http://www.slayer.net/us/news/back-surgery-scheduled-slayers-tom-araya-bands-tour-plans-cancelled-through-april

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Jesus, it's almost comical at this point. The only original member left is the one most people want to see the least.

• Advertisement

roast wrote: »
    This is how I feel.
    I'm not awfully interested in Slayer to be honest, but I always felt they were one of the bands that I just have to see at some stage.
    But 42 snots for half the proper lineup? Nahhh, I'll pass.

if you've never experienced slayer live, then it would still be a great thing to see

s**t news

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/04/01/breaking-tom-araya-to-sit-out-slayers-summer-tour-leaving-kerry-king-as-sole-original-member-jason-newsted-announced-as-temporary-replacement/

i read on the official slayer site that up to april dates where resheduled.
    not so sure he will be fit for june and wtf jason newsted !!! what a pile of balls.
    how can he repalce tom araya , really dont think anyone can , i hope thats not true .

http://www.slayer.net/us/news/back-surgery-scheduled-slayers-tom-araya-bands-tour-plans-cancelled-through-april

april fool?

april fool surely?
    I hadn't looked at the date of the article, so I didn't realise it was done on April 1st. I'm thinking it might be.

hmmm hang on , the one about newsted was posted 1st of april and most likely a joke and hope it is no mention of it on the official site . this is why I hate facebook .

cant see a date for the one I found on the official site could be from last time it happened .
    so im a bit red faced now maybe pannick is over .

just looked back over it and spotted the date :mad: :o

if you've never experienced slayer live, then it would still be a great thing to see

Exactly, despite the fact I'm not really into them. I'll wait to see if they come back again with Hanneman and Lombardo though. If they don't, I'm not awfully pushed.
    I feel the same way about Metallica also - not particularly interested by them any more, but I'd still go to see them regardless.
    april fool?
    Yup.

roast wrote: »
    Exactly, despite the fact I'm not really into them. I'll wait to see if they come back again with Hanneman and Lombardo though. If they don't, I'm not awfully pushed.
    I feel the same way about Metallica also - not particularly interested by them any more, but I'd still go to see them regardless.

Yup.

Tom nearly gave up a few years ago for health reasons...i'd say endgame is near
    the jeff situation is worrying, there may be more to it then illness.....and i doubt dave will be back after what happened

Tom nearly gave up a few years ago for health reasons...i'd say endgame is near
    the jeff situation is worrying, there may be more to it then illness.....and i doubt dave will be back after what happened

King seems pretty adamant they'll work on a new album at some stage, with or without Hanneman. I reckon Hanneman is enjoying his time away from King Slayer.
    As for Lombardo... If he was offered the right kinda contract again, he'd probably go back. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Saw them in Cork a few years back and to be honest they are a shadow of whtat they were. Of course the Marquee is a dump of a venue.

• Advertisement

buck65 wrote: »
    Saw them in Cork a few years back and to be honest they are a shadow of whtat they were. Of course the Marquee is a dump of a venue.

The Academy is a decent venue and I'm sure they'll sound good in a smaller environment then they're probably used to. Anthrax were superb there a couple months ago.

Advertisement